Contribute
Register

Intel HD Graphics 5500 - Need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Rehabman,

It is edp connection confirmed in Windows. Yea we did change the fb size to match the bios dvmt size. And now I have both Good news and bad news.

Good news is that we somehow fixed the garbled screen. Basically we switched the screen resolution in system setting, and then it fixed everything! The we can switch the resolution back to default level no more garbled screen. Also full qe/ci enabled.

Set ScreenResolution in Clover config.

Even worse than that, now my computer freezes randomly. It appears many people encounter the freeze problem without clear solution.

Have you implemented power management? Verified that AppleLPC is loading?

Hey will there be some readymade steps or something to copy and paste later on. I am not able to understand a word about what you are trying to say!:crazy:

Set ScreenResolution in Clover config.

Have you implemented power management? Verified that AppleLPC is loading?

Setting the resolution lower than default seems solve the garbled screen problem!

I also suspect the power management part, since Clover does not support Broadwell yet. So I manually change the CPU type to 0x0606 to be recognized as i5 processor and to enable XCPM. SSDT I use pike's script for Haswell, which is probably wrong. And yes, AppleLPC is loaded. Before BDW fb kext loaded, everything works fine, no freeze.

Here are part of console log and system generated log. They all show that GPU causes the freeze. Take a look if you can.

Attachments

• logs.zip
    14.2 KB · Views: 127
Setting the resolution lower than default seems solve the garbled screen problem!

I thought it might... You might also play around with CSM(legacy boot) enabled/disabled in BIOS.

I also suspect the power management part, since Clover does not support Broadwell yet. So I manually change the CPU type to 0x0606 to be recognized as i5 processor and to enable XCPM. SSDT I use pike's script for Haswell, which is probably wrong. And yes, AppleLPC is loaded. Before BDW fb kext loaded, everything works fine, no freeze.

Here are part of console log and system generated log. They all show that GPU causes the freeze. Take a look if you can.

I wonder if eDP is not ready for prime time? Since Apple doesn't use it...

You might try editing the framebuffer connector data so it contains only the connectors your laptop has.

But it seems weirdness might be expected if you're changing the CPU type. Better to modify Clover so actual CPU type can be used.

I thought it might... You might also play around with CSM(legacy boot) enabled/disabled in BIOS.

You might try editing the framebuffer connector data so it contains only the connectors your laptop has.

But it seems weirdness might be expected if you're changing the CPU type. Better to modify Clover so actual CPU type can be used.

Just for clarification.:)

After injecting CPUType = 0x0606 in Clover, i5-5200U could be recognized as Core i5 with proper frequency in "About this Mac", otherwise showing Unknown in Processor part.
Still no cpu power management, and ACPI_SMC_Platform.kext was still loaded.

After we used a modified version of ssdtPRGen script to generate SSDT.aml, X86Platform.kext and X86PlatformShim.kext are loaded, and IOPPF: XCPM Mode message was shown in console.

I added Broadwell's CPUs information and Apple's new Board-IDs to ssdtPRGen script, so I think CPU power management should be fine.
But, yeah, Clover needs an update to inject "proper" cpu type.

Just for clarification.:)

After injecting CPUType = 0x0606 in Clover, i5-5200U could be recognized as Core i5 with proper frequency in "About this Mac", otherwise showing Unknown in Processor part.
Still no cpu power management, and ACPI_SMC_Platform.kext was still loaded.

I haven't looked in detail at Clover's actions based on CPUID, but it would seem better to address any such Clover code instead of injecting a CPUID that does not match the real hardware.

After we used a modified version of ssdtPRGen script to generate SSDT.aml, X86Platform.kext and X86PlatformShim.kext are loaded, and IOPPF: XCPM Mode message was shown in console.

I suspect the SSDT details are similar Broadwell vs. Haswell. Are you also using the OEM CPU PM SSDTs?

I haven't looked in detail at Clover's actions based on CPUID, but it would seem better to address any such Clover code instead of injecting a CPUID that does not match the real hardware.

I suspect the SSDT details are similar Broadwell vs. Haswell. Are you also using the OEM CPU PM SSDTs?

Yes, I agree.

Nope, I remember that we didn't find OEM CpuPm SSDTs.

You are right! Enabling Legacy support in BIOS fixed the garbled screen without switching resolution level.
Then I tried to use another ig-platform-id, it not only recognize my screen as built-in, but also no freeze so far. I will have to wait longer to confirm it.

You are right! Enabling Legacy support in BIOS fixed the garbled screen without switching resolution level.
Then I tried to use another ig-platform-id, it not only recognize my screen as built-in, but also no freeze so far. I will have to wait longer to confirm it.

Which ig-platform-id from/to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back