Asus H81M-K
CPU
i5-4460
Graphics
HD 4600
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey everyone,

I finished my hackintosh a few days ago with a normal 1080p 16:9 display. After getting graphics acceleration to work, it worked just fine, no glitches or anything. But with my new display (LG ultravide 21:9 2560x1080) I get these weird glitches when chrome/safari/messenger/vlc is open and the glitching is mainly on the bottom of the screen and sometimes even on the top of tge sreen on the google tabs. I attached a pic of my system info. Thanks in advance!:)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-25 at 16.45.03.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-25 at 16.45.03.png
    82.5 KB · Views: 178
Which connection are you using to the new LD UltraWide display? Which display are you using (model number)?

The preferred order for display connections in macOS is as follows:
  1. DisplayPort/ miniDisplayPort (preferred connector as mDP is used on nearly all Apple systems)
  2. DVI
  3. HDMI (not used on any Apple systems and can be flaky)
  4. VGA - Just don't!
Have you checked the cable you are using? Is it a good quality cable? Have you checked that the cable connections are sitting correctly in the rear of the PC case and the display, i.e. no unnatural bends in the cable or looseness in the connector?

dont forget to check the monitor works ok, just sent back a new one with similar issues to this (using real mac) - in my case i got a single white line flash at a random point towards the bottom of the screen - Not sure if it was a fault or incompatibility as it was solved by getting another make/model

Thanks for the answers!
I use a dvi to hdmi cable. It works with windows and it worked with my old sierra install, but I used an amd hd6670 back then. The display is an LG 25UM58P. I was tinkering with the framebuffer with no succes-maybe I am missing a kext or something isn’t set right?

I think it is more likely to be an issue with the DVI to HDMI cable.

There isn't much to set for an Intel HD4600, when using WhateverGreen.kext. Just the DeviceProperties for the Framebuffer, these are the same whether you are using Clover or OpenCore, the only difference is the location they are placed in the respective config.plist for each bootloader.

Assuming you are using Clover:
In a /CLOVER/config.plist the Intel device properties should be set as shown in the two screenshots below.

Clover Configurator - Devices tab - Properties for Intel HD4600 when driving a display
Screenshot 2021-05-28 at 14.13.30.png

Close up of the Properties section on the Devices Tab:
Screenshot 2021-05-28 at 14.17.42.png

Clover Configurator - Graphics tab - This should be empty when using WhateverGreen.kext
Screenshot 2021-05-28 at 14.13.51.png

Check that your graphics and Device settings are the same in your config.plist.

You should also remove any ACPI rename patches, such as:
  • change GFX0 to IGPU
  • change PEGP to GFX0
As these rename patches are also dealt with by WhateverGreen.kext.

Last edited:
I think the problem is the combo of using a DVI output with a 25" ultrawide 21:9 monitor. DVI is a very old video standard now on the way to extinction. Then trying to adapt that to HDMI makes it more complicated. Windows may be able to handle this but macOS probably never will. What resolution do you get when using DVI -> HDMI ?

LG 25UM58-P

25'' Class 21:9 UltraWide® Full HD IPS LED Monitor (25'' Diagonal)

Asus Motherboard:

Multi-VGA output support : DVI/RGB ports
- Supports DVI with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
- Supports RGB with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
Maximum shared memory of 1024 MB (for iGPU exclusively)

I think it is more likely to be an issue with the DVI to HDMI cable.

There isn't much to set for an Intel HD4600, when using WhateverGreen.kext. Just the DeviceProperties for the Framebuffer, these are the same whether you are using Clover or OpenCore, the only difference is the location they are placed in the respective config.plist for each bootloader.

Assuming you are using Clover:
In a /CLOVER/config.plist the Intel device properties should be set as shown in the two screenshots below.

Clover Configurator - Devices tab - Properties for Intel HD4600 when driving a display
View attachment 520027

Close up of the Properties section on the Devices Tab:
View attachment 520029

Clover Configurator - Graphics tab - This should be empty when using WhateverGreen.kext
View attachment 520028

Check that your graphics and Device settings are the same in your config.plist.

You should also remove any ACPI rename patches, such as:
  • change GFX0 to IGPU
  • change PEGP to GFX0
As these rename patches are also dealt with by WhateverGreen.kext.
Thanks for the detailed answer! I’ll have a look at it after work.

I think the problem is the combo of using a DVI output with a 25" ultrawide 21:9 monitor. DVI is a very old video standard now on the way to extinction. Then trying to adapt that to HDMI makes it more complicated. Windows may be able to handle this but macOS probably never will. What resolution do you get when using DVI -> HDMI ?

LG 25UM58-P

25'' Class 21:9 UltraWide® Full HD IPS LED Monitor (25'' Diagonal)

Asus Motherboard:

Multi-VGA output support : DVI/RGB ports
- Supports DVI with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
- Supports RGB with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
Maximum shared memory of 1024 MB (for iGPU exclusively)
My resolution is 2560x1080. Everything is fine until I open google chrome for example. I use my hackintosh mainly for music production, there aren’t any glitches in logic. I hope I don’t have to buy a dedicated gpu... If I have to, are there any budget options that are on par or better than an HD6670?

My resolution is 2560x1080. Everything is fine until I open google chrome for example. I use my hackintosh mainly for music production, there aren’t any glitches in logic. I hope I don’t have to buy a dedicated gpu... If I have to, are there any budget options that are on par or better than an HD6670?
I would grab one of these at the $60 price. 3rd party resellers ask $95 + for these currently.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073GF2CL6/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Then you can use a straight HDMI to HDMI connection with no adapters. GT 710 has native support in Catalina and Big Sur too. No fans = no noise when you are recording music. Gotta like that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back