i7 6700K
Graphics
GTX 1060
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys,

I'm nearing completion on my new hackintosh build with Mojave. There's just one issue I can't seem to resolve. I've been searching this forum and google all day, and no dice. There's some ghosting or flickering on the display. Maybe it's framebuffer related? I've seen the issue mentioned here, some people had success with just setting to iMac14,2 in SMBIOS. That didn't work for me.

Relevant specs:
Gigabyte Z270N-Gaming 5 (mini ITX)
Intel i7 7700k
Intel HD 630 graphics

Only 8GB RAM for now, going to make this my main machine and swap the 32GB in my current main machine once this is working. Also planning to add an AMD RX 580 after I get this working, but that's for another day :)

config.plist attached.

I've tried the following:
Boot with -disablegfxfirmware (didn't work)
inject FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext (didn't work)
Devices IntelGFX Fake ID: 0x59168086, also tried 0x59128086 (didn't work)
Graphics: InjectIntel (no difference)
ig-platform-id 0x59160000 (this resolves the pink screen tint) I also tried 0x59120000 and empty (results in pink screen tint)
SMBIOS: iMac 14,2 - 18,2 -18,3 - 18,4 (none seem to make a difference)

I've also tried various combinations of the above.

Injecting the following kexts (all latest versions):
AppleALC.kext
AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext
FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext
FakePCIID.kext
FakeSMC.kext
Lilu.kext
USBInjectAll.kext
WhateverGreen.kext

I came across this post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-intel-framebuffer-patching-using-whatevergreen.256490/ (where I got the good ig-platform-id from) but I can't decipher exactly what I would need to do (if anything) to fix the flickering.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.9 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
I've been playing around with @headkaze 's framebuffer patcher for the last few hours, no luck.

I've been trying to figure out how to use -igfxdump and -igfxfbdump i added those as boot args in config.plist but there's no file output in the root directory.

I've also been trying to follow the instructions here https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-intel-framebuffer-patching-using-whatevergreen.256490/ and here https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/release-intel-fb-patcher-v1-5-9.254559/ but i'm not an expert in patching kexts. Not to complain, but I'm a software engineer and this is far from clear. Screen shots would go a long way.

If anyone can help here it'd be greatly appreciated. I'll be doing the same thing on a similar machine next. (Gigabyte Z170N-Gaming 5 w/ i7 6700k).

Not to complain, but I'm a software engineer and this is far from clear. Screen shots would go a long way.
Just an FYI there may be members on this forum who are on the payroll but I'm not one of them. All my time and work is done for free for the community. You are more than welcome to dedicate your precious time on improving the quality of the documentation. Screenshots are also welcome.

Last edited:
I'm happy to do that, and I'll throw some crypto your way. I apologize if that came across as passive aggressive.

I'm just not sure what I'm actually supposed to do here.

Do i just need to enter the right values to patch in devices/properties in config.plist, do I need to produce a new whatevergreen.kext using the dump from -igfxdump or -igfxfbdump or both?

I'm happy to do that, and I'll throw some crypto your way. I apologize if that came across as passive aggressive.
No problemo. I do this to give back to the community who have helped me so thanks anyway.

Don't bother dumping your fb data just use the Framebuffer menu in FB-Patcher.

Don't bother dumping your fb data just use the Framebuffer menu in FB-Patcher.

Thanks. What do I do have to do though? Is entering the patch values in config.plist sufficient? I tried doing that earlier (possible I did it wrong).

Thanks. What do I do have to do though? Is entering the patch values in config.plist sufficient? I tried doing that earlier (possible I did it wrong).
I'm on a mobile right now so it's kinda awkward but bare minimum you need an ig-platform entry. You can export to your config.plist from FB-Patcher but if you feel more comfortable just generate the patch and paste it in manually. Or just use Xcode and enter the data that way. Whatever you find easier.

I also use i7 7700K with HD630

Here's my configuration:
Remove FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext and just use WhateverGreen.kext
Boot: -disablegfxfirmware
Devices:
1. IntelGFX: 0x59128086
2. Click UseIntelHDMI
3. Add Properties: (This is how I fix pink tint)
a. Device = IntelGFX
b. Key = AAPL,GfxYTile
c. Value = 0AAAAA00
d. Value Type = DATA​
Graphics:
1. InjectIntel
2. 0x59120000
SMBIOS: iMac 18,1

This configuration works perfectly if you don't have dual monitor. If you have dual monitor, you should connect the second one after boot, or both screens would still flicking

Spooky dude. We have like the same exact build I added a rx580 just 4 days ago! I had to switch to SMBIOS 17,1 from 18,3 when I took out my gtx 1060 to us the HD630 for a while. I recommend you do that first and see if the problem persists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back