Contribute
Register

Intel HD 530 no QuickSync

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys,
I just bought a new system with hardware form the tonymaxsc86 Buyer's Guide. My specs are the following:
Intel Core i7 6700K
MSI Z170A Gaming M3
32GB Corsair Ram
No extra GPU, just the Intel HD 530 iGPU.

I have installed OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 without any problems using Unibeast in UEFI Mode. For post install i used Multibeast checking everything needed, including the corresponding option for the Intel 530 iGPU.

Everything works perfectly except for one -very important for my workflow- thing. My Final Cut Pro exports using H264 are extremely slow. Both the CPU and FCP support Intel Quick Sync so the speed should really be faster. For example my 2012 MacBook Pro is way faster even though it's underspeced compared to my Hackintosh.

How can i enable accelarated export using the Intel HD 530 iGPU and Intel Quick Sync. Any help is much appreciated.

After setting my SMBIOS to MacBook Pro, Intel QucikSync finally works. But the render is still slower than my 2012 MacBook Pro.

I suspect that by setting my SMBIOS to Imac 17,1 and renaming the GFX0 to IGPU in my DSDT everything will work at full speed.

Do you have any suggestions on how I can easily change all the GFX0 entries in the DSDT;

After setting my SMBIOS to MacBook Pro, Intel QucikSync finally works. But the render is still slower than my 2012 MacBook Pro.

I suspect that by setting my SMBIOS to Imac 17,1 and renaming the GFX0 to IGPU in my DSDT everything will work at full speed.

Do you have any suggestions on how I can easily change all the GFX0 entries in the DSDT;

I'm curious about this. I don't use Final Cut Pro, but I use other video converters that should be able to do fast H264 exports and they don't; I suspect I'm having the same issue as you. How do you tell whether or not Intel QuickSync is working (other than render speed)? Why do you think changing your SMBIOS to iMac17,1 and renaming GFX -> IGPU will fix it? I'm currently using SMBIOS of iMac14,1 on my system (but I have a Haswell CPU with HD 4600, not Skylake with HD 530).

GFX -> IGPU is what fixed it on my haswell/hd4600 using iMac14,1.

I had a self-written application that can take advantage of the QuickSync APIs, that's how I noticed it wasn't working initially. If you want to figure out if yours is working, google for something like "macX video converter" (I'm not the author of that one). It shows the hardware encoder status when you launch it.

One thing to watch out for is that the appearance of the AirPlay option does not mean the hardware encoder is working. I think the system determines if airplay is available by checking for the existence of the correct hardware, but actually creating the QuickSync session requires more. It'll end up falling back to software encoding which explains the very poor Airplay performance and the slow renders some of you are seeing

Hello,

have you succeeded in getting the H264 hardware acceleration working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back