Contribute
Register

Intel HD 4600 4K 3840*2160 with Seiki 39" 4K display

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Adrian B,

I have one of the z87 motherboards with the specs that you have mentioned and I want to use the HDMI out on the motherboard. Lets say I get a high quality HDMI cable compliant with the 1.4 spec. then does it mean I can use the Dell 27 inch hi res monitor at the 1440 resolution? I will be using Mavericks with intel 4600 integrated video. The dell website does not say that the HDMI on the monitor is HDMI 1.4. It just says HDMI. I have read about many problems with people getting HDMI resolution above the 1080 mark.

THanks.

Dear Adrian B,

I have one of the z87 motherboards with the specs that you have mentioned and I want to use the HDMI out on the motherboard. Lets say I get a high quality HDMI cable compliant with the 1.4 spec. then does it mean I can use the Dell 27 inch hi res monitor at the 1440 resolution? I will be using Mavericks with intel 4600 integrated video. The dell website does not say that the HDMI on the monitor is HDMI 1.4. It just says HDMI. I have read about many problems with people getting HDMI resolution above the 1080 mark.

THanks.

You are probably best to ask Dell directly on the inputs that will supports the full resolution available from your monitor.

If your Dell monitor has a HDMI socket that supports 1440 resolution then everything should be fine. If you have any documentation, then do check that or have a look on line using your Dell monitor model number. It will always be best to check with Dell directly.

Good Luck

Adrian B

So are you saying that the Mavericks OS should support 1440 resolution over HDMI? SO the only uncertainty would be the monitor? I will ask dell . thanks.

Just got my 660 in today and 4k works perfectly. I got 3860x2160 30hz as soon as I booted it up. :)

So are you saying that the Mavericks OS should support 1440 resolution over HDMI? SO the only uncertainty would be the monitor? I will ask dell . thanks.

Yes as long as you have already confirmed from the Gigabyte website that the motherboard that you are using is capable of the required resolution. Some monitors need a dual DVI setup for higher than 1080P resolutions.

Adrian B

Dear Adrian,

My motherboard website says that the HDMI slot is 1.4a compliant and can handle 4k resolution. so does this mean it can drive the Dell 27 inch monitor at 1440p resolution over a high quality cable? I will check with dell also to make sure that the Dell monitor is capable at that resolution using HDMI.

thanks.

Thanks Adrian for your helpful advice to the guys on this thread.

This website gave me a lot of information for my setup, and so I am glad to have a chance to contribute on this particular problem.

I am running a Gigabyte Z87-UD5H setup, intending to run two 30" Dell monitors.

I plugged into my radeon 7950, and outputs 2560 x 1600 60hz no problem via DVI.

My other same model monitor only output something like 1920 x 1200 via HDMI.

Logically, my thought process was as follows.

1. On bootup, the Radeon card only flickers to AFTER the primary monitor attached to the motherboard runs through the boot process.

2. Therefore, I didn't want to simply plug both monitors into the Radeon, as this is a dual boot, and I want to be able to change at startup between my OS's ...

3. I checked and confirmed that the motherboard, which runs Intel HD4600 as the integrated graphics can handle the desired higher resolution.

4. I tried running a mini display port to HDMI adaptor to HDMI on the monitor. Same resolution ...

4.I then saw this post at another website:

statusicon-28.gif

thirdsun Jul 9, 2013 10:25 AM (in response to lhkjacky)Just to clear things up: Meanwhile I found the solution: The Intel HD4600 isn't the issue, for all I know it can output 4K just fine via HDMi (but not via DVI). However the Dell U2713HM will only accept resolutions of up to 1080p via HDMi, for larger resolutions like the native 2560 x 1440 you'll need to use DVI or DisplayPort. This is of course a problem with the output specifications of my mini ITX Board, which is why I went for a small dedicated Geforce GPU which gives me 2560 x 1440 via DVI just fine. It's kind of a sad state though - my Gigabyte board has 2 HDMI and 1 DVI out and all of them are useless - at least with this very Dell display. And don't bother with Pre-Haswell boards either, I was shocked to learn that larger than 1080p is quite a new thing for onboard GPUs.

THat said be sure to double check your display and mainboard specifications. Or if it's too late already, buy a cheap dedicated GPU. - Thirdsun - Intel Forum

5. Realised Motherboard integrated graphics might not be the problem ... could be Dell monitor. I found a spare Displayport cable. Plugged it in.

Works! 2560 x 1600

Happy!

Hope this helps.

Old thread, but I'm assuming there are still some happy Seiki owners out there!

I built a CustoMac Mini Deluxe specifically as an accessory for my Seiki SE39UY04. I had been running the screen for about a year from my MacBookPro Retina and for my uses (browsing/research, coding, music production) I've found the 30Hz refresh very easy to get used to.

There are two issues that interfere with using the Seiki from a fresh Yosemite 10.10.1 Multibeast install:

1) HDMI clock limit (limits you to a sluggish 14Hz at 3840x2160)
2) Inadequate framebuffer memory (limits resolution choices to 1920x1080 max)

For the first issue, I just applied the latest "mac-pixel-clock-patch" updated by darkvoid.

For the second, I patched /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext, based on the ideas from these pages:

- "HD4000 graphics problems when using a very big external screen" on Apple's discussions forum
- HD4400/HD4600 reference information on another site

Just 3 changed bytes:

OLD: 03 00 22 0D 00 03 03 03 00 00 00 02 00 00 30 01
NEW: 03 00 22 0D 00 03 03 03 00 00 00 04 00 00 00 03

This boosts the RAM Allocation to 64MB and the Framebuffer Memory Size to 48MB. I suppose one could optimize the Framebuffer Memory Size further, this was my initial conservative guess, but it seems fine.

It works well, completely stable and free of glitches, exactly the same experience as with my MBPr on 2D graphics.

It would be trivial but I hesitate to wrap this up into a script until some testing feedback comes in, for all I know it may work better on my CPU type, motherboard, BIOS, etc., than on others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back