Contribute
Register

Intel HD 4600 4K 3840*2160 with Seiki 39" 4K display

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey rael11,
I just found your post and tried to apply it to my hackintosh, because I also do have the same problem with my Samsung U28 4k display.
Could you please explain the steps in detail? Where can I download the patch? Which file do I have to edit in the kext-package? Thanks for your help!

OK! Some tips then.

One of the most mysterious things that can go wrong is getting the patched kext into the right place, with the right permissions, so I follow the standard process with kextbeast:

1) copy the kext to the Desktop
2) duplicate it so you have a backup (but move it somewhere since kextbeast will install the duplicate, too!)
3) edit the copy of the kext on the Desktop
4) launch kextbeast, which handles all of the installation details, replacing the original in /S/L/E

-- For the actual patching, I use 0xED because it's easy to use and free, but if you already have a favorite it shouldn't make a difference.

-- Yes, since the kext is a "package" you have to open the unix executable file within it, in your hex editor:

/Users/XXX/Desktop/AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelFramebufferAzul

As I explained in the above post you just need to locate that "OLD" sequence, which only appears once in the file, and change 3 of the bytes.

Now, for the mac-pixel-clock-patch, it's at https://code.google.com/r/darkvoid-mac-pixel-clock/source/browse/macPixelClockPatcher.command

There are basically 2 commands there, on lines 5 and 6. You can open up a terminal and just paste them in one-by-one in order so you don't even have to download it. But there is a gotcha here, too. On a fresh machine you probably don't have the 'codesign' utility installed. However, OS X will prompt you for that installation so that the command will run. You can even run line 6 a second time for good measure if you lost your terminal window during the install process for some reason.

One more important thing! Forgive me if it's obvious but you are installing a PATCHED kext here. So you absolutely HAVE to have "kext-dev-mode=1" in your kernel flags (I have it in org.chameleon.Boot.plist). I hate to be overly blunt but if you're not familiar with this aspect of patching then I hesitate to recommend this procedure.

All in all, though, it's pretty foolproof, and at worst rebooting into safe mode and restoring the original AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext

Hope this helps, if there's anything unclear let me know.

10.10.4 Update

HD 4600 + Seiki 39" 4k still going strong.

Since Apple hasn't updated AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext since 10.10.0, this time I just reinstalled the patched kext from last time and re-ran the HDMI clock limit patch.

Thanks for this information! I was about to go out and buy a video card with a displayport and using these patches got my new 2560x1440 monitor working with HDMI!

Thank you so much!

That's great stevenshelby, I appreciate hearing about other people's results with the patch.

I'm looking forward to seeing whether El Capitan is fixed or also patchable.

For a fallback I have the evga GT 720 which also works fine for 4k HDMI 1.4a (using the nVidia Web Driver), which is a good alternative for about $50

I know I suggested in relation to the DisplayPort/P2415Q case that it might be just a matter of the frame buffer, but now think I incorrectly regarded the mac-pixel-clock-patch as an HDMI thing.

It looks like an issue with DisplayPort too, see this post with someone improving his mac mini displayport output with a similar remedy: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3633447

I think it's worth trying that patch if you haven't already (and you still have the patience for some more mucking around :)

I've done a little research today, intending to try the pixel clock patch - however, it seems there is no Yosemite (non-beta) update for it, i.e. apparently it does absolutely nothing on 10.10.4... Or maybe I am wrong?

LATER EDIT: I've found darkvoid's (rewritten) version, this one seems to be working on Yosemite, will give it a try!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back