Contribute
Register

Intel Hades Canyon NUC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am afraid the glitches won't be solved as everything depends on Apple's drivers for AMD GPUs. The gfx804/Polaris 22 in these Vega M graphic chips seems very specific and Apple didn't use it in any of its Mac including the Mac mini 2018, and never will as time goes on and the product becomes old.

Sadly, it seems that the future high-end Intel NUC won't use discrete GPUs again. Instead, Intel would apparently use its own (lame) UHD graphic card only:
https://wccftech.com/intel-ghost-canyon-frost-canyon-nucs-9th-gen-core-i9-8-cores/

These future NUCs would replace Hades Canyon in Q4 2019:
  • 9th generation Intel Coffee Lake-H Refresh: 4-core, 8-thread Core i5 CPU for the Ghost Canyon X NUC9i5QNX.
  • 9th generation Intel Coffee Lake-H Refresh: 6-core, 12-thread Core i7 CPU for the Ghost Canyon X NUC9i7QNX.
  • 9th generation Intel Coffee Lake-H Refresh: 8-core, 16-thread Core i9 CPU for the Ghost Canyon X NUC9i9QNX.
But what is this "PCIe ×16 slot" next to the IGP? Is it a way to promote eGPU solutions? But it's not a port, it's a slot, i.e. an internal connector… so another solution hopefully: it could be an MXM expansion slot so we could choose among various discrete GPUs, like the CTO HP Z2 mini G4 (the Performance version, as the standard one does not have an MXM slot)!

Intel-Coffee-Lake-H-and-Comet-Lake-U-9th-Generation-NUC-Roadmap_1.jpg

Last edited:
Is an eGPU (AMD) working with the TB3 ? If yes then all the display headaches are solved and the machine is really good for all you can throw at it.

@betterclever
Hi,its my first time to install macos, I bought hades canyon 8809g version and I really what to install macos.
I use my 64G usb stick(usb3.0) to make my boot efi driver, and I use your shared clover folder copied to my efi partition. It works before appears banned logo on my screen. I closed secure boot , VT-d.

something wrong with my configration?

@betterclever
Hi,its my first time to install macos, I bought hades canyon 8809g version and I really what to install macos.
I use my 64G usb stick(usb3.0) to make my boot efi driver, and I use your shared clover folder copied to my efi partition. It works before appears banned logo on my screen. I closed secure boot , VT-d.

something wrong with my configration?

problem solved. I used another usb stick(usb2.0) for my boot driver, and it works fine.

A bootable device has not been detected. :confused:

I feel like an idiot, I can't get this machine to recognize any Unibeast 9.0 made USB sticks, bios gives me "A bootable device has not been detected." immediately after post w/ both a USB2 and USB3 stick, both sticks boot to clover on a Lenovo without issue. I've disabled "secure boot", the bios sees Mac OS X bootable USB devices, but always fails... I can also boot a Ubuntu USB stick fine. This is running the latest Nov 29 Nuc BIOS.

Anyone encounter this problem?

A bootable device has not been detected. :confused:

I feel like an idiot, I can't get this machine to recognize any Unibeast 9.0 made USB sticks, bios gives me "A bootable device has not been detected." immediately after post w/ both a USB2 and USB3 stick, both sticks boot to clover on a Lenovo without issue. I've disabled "secure boot", the bios sees Mac OS X bootable USB devices, but always fails... I can also boot a Ubuntu USB stick fine. This is running the latest Nov 29 Nuc BIOS.

Anyone encounter this problem?

yes! with the same problem with my hades canyon after update to the latest BIOS.
Here is my solution:
1. make a bootable usb2.0 stick with unibeast.
2. mount and copy EFI partition file to somewhere.
3. delete the origin EFI parition and spit it to two same EFI partition using disk utils like diskgenius.
4. copy the EFI files BACK TO THE SECOND EFI PARTITION

it works with my hades canyon. I guess the latest BIOS has bug even windows install stick cannot be boot. but if the EFI parition is not the FIRST parition, won't have problem

yes! with the same problem with my hades canyon after update to the latest BIOS.

Thanks @icespring, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's seen this...

Could you possibly do a diskutil list and paste what your working USB partition table looks like?

Thanks @icespring, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's seen this...

Could you possibly do a diskutil list and paste what your working USB partition table looks like?
I don't familar with diskutil, so I spit my EFI partition on diskgenius 4.9 using my friend's windows PC, sorry. And my parition on usb stick looks like this:

/dev/disk2 (external, physical):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *8.2 GB disk2
1: EFI 104.9 MB disk2s1
2: EFI 103.8 MB disk2s2
3: Apple_HFS Install macOS Mojave 7.8 GB disk2s3

parition.png

I don't familar with diskutil, so I spit my EFI partition on diskgenius 4.9 using my friend's windows PC, sorry. And my parition on usb stick looks like this:
View attachment 374775

No worries, that trick of duplicating the EFI got me able to install, and thanks to betterclever and RehabMan, I'm up and running...

My steps were basically:
1. Turn off secureboot (and apply other settings per Rehabman's recommendations)
2. Split and clone the EFI partitions on my USB stick to get past "A bootable device has not been detected." per icespring's trick
3. Install with USB stick, reboot with USB stick to finish install from NVMe
4. Multibeast to install Clover on the NVMe
5. Replace NVMe's EFI clover folder with betterclever's clover folder

Radeon is detected, graphic text is glitchy with some applications (i.e. Safari), but completely okay with others (Activity Monitor, Google Chrome)... FishGL.com runs at a pretty smoothly at 60fps at 1440p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back