Contribute
Register

Intel Hades Canyon NUC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check your clover/drivers64EFI folder.
hi I want to buy egpu connect to thunderbolt3 interface nuc ,but I don't know is it ok ?Can you use the thunderbolt3 interface properly after installation?

hi I want to buy egpu connect to thunderbolt3 interface nuc ,but I don't know is it ok ?Can you use the thunderbolt3 interface properly after installation?

I don’t know, I did see it in IOReg but I don’t have any thunderbolt devices. You should check with @RehabMan he has one now I returned mine after initial testing as the Vega graphics were not functional.

Hi everybody ;
Does anybody succeded to install high sierra on the intel hades canyon ?

If anyone is using the Hades: does it work with Mojave? And, lacking acceleration, how good/bad is video performance for regular 2D use? (No video or gaming.)

Yes it does! upgraded from HS like a breeze...
I don't see any difference on any non 3D applications, no slowdowns, no glitchs...
check this: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/10162745
the best score under Mojave for the Intel Core i7-8809G compare to any platform( even Linux!)!
https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/search?dir=desc&q=i7-8809G&sort=multicore_score
Now that the October 30 Apple event is underway, there is a lot of chance that the Mac mini renewal, announced "not abandoned" at all, even by apple themselves, will be there, and the vega chip with new coffee lake intel processor seem to be the more eligible affordable integrated solution to get it out!

If anyone is using the Hades: does it work with Mojave? And, lacking acceleration, how good/bad is video performance for regular 2D use? (No video or gaming.)

It's not usable (in my opinion) without accelerators. Doing simple windowing (expose) operations brings the UI to a laggy, glitchy halt. I'm typing this from the hades canyon NUC running Mojave (brcm m.2 wifi card installed, display 4k@60Hz via mini display port, system shows 31 MB video memory). See the attached.

I've also uploaded a Clover Configurator.app generated config-generate.plist, in addition to my zipped up ESP, for those lurking and/or playing along at home.

I'm going to try to get an rx580 via tb3 working, but failing that, it's back to linux for this nuc.

Attachments

• config-generate.plist
    14.8 KB · Views: 232
  • EFI.zip
    32.5 MB · Views: 285
  • Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 1.19.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 1.19.08 AM.png
    70.7 KB · Views: 391
  • iMac.spx.zip
    247.7 KB · Views: 469
Last edited:
Not to get anyones hopes up but this may be a good sign. Apple has added in Mojave 14.2 beta Vega12 to the AMD5000kext which has different IDs than the Vega 10 cards. They have had these IDs for some time but the separation in the kext may signal more support for the Vega GPUs. These are probably for the newly announced MacBook Pro with Vega graphics.
Can someone try adding their Vega ID to this info.plist and the AMD10000Controllerkext? Make sure you have a backup drive for testing.

Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 4.48.03 PM.png

Yes, and from the looks of it the Vega 12 will release first. The Vega 20 is in the Kexts as well.

So, now that the new Mac Mini is out, where does the Hades Canyon stand in terms of performance and value? Comparing the results on Geekbench for the i7-8809G and the 6 core i7 in the Mac mini shows the single core is higher on the Hades Canyon but multicore is higher on the Mac Mini. Assuming the only option you select when configuring the Mac Mini is the i7 and that you will have secondary storage in addition to the base hard drive and will be buying your own RAM to upgrade post-purchase, these two options seem really similar in price. Plus now that the mobile vega support is being incorporated into Mojave this Hades Canyon looks like a potentially better option. Thoughts? Would anyone place any hope in the Hades Canyon or recommend the newly updated mini instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back