CPU
i7 950
Graphics
XFX Black Series HD6870 1Gb DDR5
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My old hackintosh with 2 OSes Lion and Yosemite has died. It started with overheating problems, then I noticed the red Led on and I started removing components, first the Graphics card Sapphire Radeon 6870 HD, then memory 2 DDR3 HyperX fury modules and then the obvious resetting CMOS, nothing another blue led lit up.
The fans start, but no video.
Then I cleaned up the i7 950 and removed the original INTEL cooler and cleaned it extensively, and removed the thermal paste and reaced it, still same thing, I noticed one of the ends a bit lose, so I reinstalled it then I removed the cpu and noticed debris, not bent pins, on the motherboard’s socket, but I think despite my efforts, this motherboard has to go, and the cpu too, my dilemma is, this is my only rig, and I’m really short on cash so what do you recommend that won’t do any kernel panics, once Clover senses the new configuration? as the hardware won’t be the same ...
About Lion that sits on my other Hard drive, Chimera probably won’t boot, but my main concern is Yosemite under clover, it works around the clock and I use it to power my workstation, and has everything I need, in terms of software. The GPU is still working fine, well it was before, and the PSU it’s an 850 W Cougar CMX, that’s a few months old.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 480
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 319
My old hackintosh with 2 OSes Lion and Yosemite has died. It started with overheating problems, then I noticed the red Led on and I started removing components, first the Graphics card Sapphire Radeon 6870 HD, then memory 2 DDR3 HyperX fury modules and then the obvious resetting CMOS, nothing another blue led lit up.
The fans start, but no video.
Then I cleaned up the i7 950 and removed the original INTEL cooler and cleaned it extensively, and removed the thermal paste and reaced it, still same thing, I noticed one of the ends a bit lose, so I reinstalled it then I removed the cpu and noticed debris, not bent pins, on the motherboard’s socket, but I think despite my efforts, this motherboard has to go, and the cpu too, my dilemma is, this is my only rig, and I’m really short on cash so what do you recommend that won’t do any kernel panics, once Clover senses the new configuration? as the hardware won’t be the same ...
About Lion that sits on my other Hard drive, Chimera probably won’t boot, but my main concern is Yosemite under clover, it works around the clock and I use it to power my workstation, and has everything I need, in terms of software. The GPU is still working fine, well it was before, and the PSU it’s an 850 W Cougar CMX, that’s a few months old.

Too bad, I hate to see a computer die.

You could shop for another X58 chipset motherboard on EBay. I looked and did not see any Intel DX58SO for a reasonable price but I do see a few reasonably priced X58 motherboards that are listed as tested and returnable.

Also take a look at the "Deals of the Day" where low cost HP workstations have been identified (off lease and refurbished). If you push into that topic you will find complete instructions for building a low cost (and fairly high performance) system.

In any case you will need to brush up on your macOS install skills as Lion and Yosemite are dated and fewer people are still using them... meaning a small support base.

Good modding,
neil

Too bad, I hate to see a computer die.

You could shop for another X58 chipset motherboard on EBay. I looked and did not see any Intel DX58SO for a reasonable price but I do see a few reasonably priced X58 motherboards that are listed as tested and returnable.

Also take a look at the "Deals of the Day" where low cost HP workstations have been identified (off lease and refurbished). If you push into that topic you will find complete instructions for building a low cost (and fairly high performance) system.

In any case you will need to brush up on your macOS install skills as Lion and Yosemite are dated and fewer people are still using them... meaning a small support base.

Good modding,
neil

Well I what I did was to move some components into an old board I had it's an ASROCK H61M-VG3 laying around and built a new system with it, it uses a Sandy Bridge Second Gen Intel I have an i5, and this is what's working and allowing me to post this, however, as this is a very limited system, it will be temporary, when I tried to boot my old Yosemite, went into KP, so I decided to use my USB Yosemite to install a fresh one in another hard drive, it's working, however, when I attempted to import all my old settings Apps and Data from the old one, I run into problems, and again, it went into KP, it might be due to an old DSDT intended for the DX58SO, otherwise, there's nothing there that might cause this KP, due to appleintelcpupowermanagement, so I had to erase the partition and created and installed everything from scratch and is stable again, I'm in a rush so I couldn't devote time to find exactly what the problem might be, so this quick solution, left me with a working iMac, at least, without sound yet, but soon I will add the ALC662 kext to make the motherboard's sound work, so as this uses Clover, I suppose it might be ok if I can upgrade it to use Sierra or High Sierra. My current config is ASROCK H61M-VG3 with 8Gb HyperX Kingston DD3 RAM, Sapphire Radeon 6870HD, and two Hard drives, one, a 2Tb drive, with my old Yosemite and all my apps and data, and the other with a 500Gb fresh Yosemite installation.

Well I what I did was to move some components into an old board I had it's an ASROCK H61M-VG3 laying around and built a new system with it, it uses a Sandy Bridge Second Gen Intel I have an i5, and this is what's working and allowing me to post this, however, as this is a very limited system, it will be temporary, when I tried to boot my old Yosemite, went into KP, so I decided to use my USB Yosemite to install a fresh one in another hard drive, it's working, however, when I attempted to import all my old settings Apps and Data from the old one, I run into problems, and again, it went into KP, it might be due to an old DSDT intended for the DX58SO, otherwise, there's nothing there that might cause this KP, due to appleintelcpupowermanagement, so I had to erase the partition and created and installed everything from scratch and is stable again, I'm in a rush so I couldn't devote time to find exactly what the problem might be, so this quick solution, left me with a working iMac, at least, without sound yet, but soon I will add the ALC662 kext to make the motherboard's sound work, so as this uses Clover, I suppose it might be ok if I can upgrade it to use Sierra or High Sierra. My current config is ASROCK H61M-VG3 with 8Gb HyperX Kingston DD3 RAM, Sapphire Radeon 6870HD, and two Hard drives, one, a 2Tb drive, with my old Yosemite and all my apps and data, and the other with a 500Gb fresh Yosemite installation.

Well I am pleased to learn that you have a working macOS system. Of some interest is that I own an Intel DH61AG motherboard with an i3-2125 that I currently have Sierra 10.12.2 running without issue.

Good modding,
neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back