Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello im New here :thumbup:
My good old G5 is broken due to leakage of CPU watercooler :|
And on my research wich new Mac ill buy the result was to build a Hackintosh :mrgreen:
Now im wondering if i can use a Intel Core i7-3820 on a
GA-Z77X-UD5H Motherboard and if (im pretty shure) not: Is there a Possibility to build a fully working Machine on a
GA-X79-UD5 Motherboard (With PWM working)

Other Question: Do the small Updates from Apple work ? (Itunes, Safari, OSX 10.8.xx)

I cant wait to order the Parts and having fun building a MacBeast :p

:Edit Wrong Forum ill post this in the right one. Sorry

The i7-3820 won't work in a UD5H because the UD5H has an LGA 1155 socket and the i7-3820 is LGA 2011. It will work in the X79 just fine though.

LGA 2011 processors have worked in OSX, but they have never received native power management because they are not supported by Apple. In other words, you'd be able to get it working, but it would always run at full speed (no speedstep) and sleep and other power-management related items would be broken.

As for your other question, yes, small updates can almost always be installed without any changes necessary. OS updates (10.8.x) may require the reinstallation of audio drivers, but that's it. Application updates like safari or itunes are the exact same as on a real mac.

PS: your G5 is a perfect candidate for a case mod! Check out the case mods subforum for inspiration!

It's true that power management is not supported, but it's not true that the CPU will only run at max clock. With LGA 2011, the CPU will jump between 2 states, max clock and idle. So with my 3930k, the CPU idles at 1.2ghz(12x) and under load it jumps to max clock, which on my setup is 4.0ghz(40x).

It's true that power management is not supported, but it's not true that the CPU will only run at max clock. With LGA 2011, the CPU will jump between 2 states, max clock and idle. So with my 3930k, the CPU idles at 1.2ghz(12x) and under load it jumps to max clock, which on my setup is 4.0ghz(40x).

Thank you for the clarification. I had forgotten that.

Ok thank you for your help ;)
Sadly i sold my G5 but im considering to buy a Cooler Master HAF XB RC-902XB-KNN1.
I think im not going to casemod.

So the Build will be:

GA-Z77X-UD5H
Intel Core i7-3770K
16GB 1600Mhz DDR3 Corsair
GeForce GTX 670/680 <- I dont know which to choose. Do the OC versions work too ? (F.ex.:

Asus GTX 670 DirectCU II TOP 2048MB GDDR5)
Samsung 830 256GB SSD
WD 1TB HDD
Corsair HX650 PSU

If i buy PWM vents, will they be automatically controlled by Mainboard like in my G5 ?

Very nice ! Thank you all I´ll report how it works when i got all the Parts :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back