Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. iMac
When I check the Intel Ark specs for an i5-9600k, the RAM is spec'd as DDR4-2666.
Is this a minimum spec or maximum? Are there any benefits or problem when using a higher spec, such as DDR4-3600?

When I check the Intel Ark specs for an i5-9600k, the RAM is spec'd as DDR4-2666. Is this a minimum spec or maximum? Are there any benefits or problem when using a higher spec, such as DDR4-3600?

I believe it is neither a minimum nor a maximum. The speed and type of RAM that can be used depend more on the motherboard you want to use. If your motherboard supports the use of higher speed RAM (via overclocking) then you can use it.

Like my Z390 Designare, it states in its specifications that DDR4 2666/2400/2133 RAM modules and Extreme Memory Profile (XMP, higher speed) are supported, meaning that if you have some older DDR4 2400/2133 RAM sticks you should be able to use them, and higher speed RAM also.

I believe it is neither a minimum nor a maximum. The speed and type of RAM that can be used depend more on the motherboard you want to use. If your motherboard supports the use of higher speed RAM (via overclocking) then you can use it.

Like my Z390 Designare, it states in its specifications that DDR4 2666/2400/2133 RAM modules and Extreme Memory Profile (XMP, higher speed) are supported, meaning that if you have some older DDR4 2400/2133 RAM sticks you should be able to use them, and higher speed RAM also.
I understand that motherboards can support various types. But what does this number mean relative to the processor? I assume these are minimums that the processor needs in order to function. Otherwise you'd have wasted processor cycles if the ram isn't fast enough to keep up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back