Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi All,

I have a Asus ROG Maximus VIII Impact motherboard and it comes with a U.2 NVMe port

so I decided to get a Intel 750 400gb U.2 SSD.

So I first tested it with windows on the computer and speeds test gave me 2400MBps Read and about 900 to 1200MBps write speeds

I then installed mac OS used the NVMe Patch method https://github.com/RehabMan/patch-nvme

everything worked great it boots of the drive in Mac OS etc.

My issue is this I am not getting full read and write speeds in Mac OS, black magic gives me 900MBps read and write speeds only on the drive

Does any one know if there is a way to get the driver to support the Intel 750 400gb U.2 SSD completely? So I can get over 2000mbps on reads and over 1000mbps on writes?

any help would be good, Thanks.

I am also running Mac OS Sierra 10.12.2

About to make a new post but I have the same issue. Only difference is I formatted my drive with 4k sectors and it is supported natively out of the box. ;)

Hi All,

I have a Asus ROG Maximus VIII Impact motherboard and it comes with a U.2 NVMe port

so I decided to get a Intel 750 400gb U.2 SSD.

So I first tested it with windows on the computer and speeds test gave me 2400MBps Read and about 900 to 1200MBps write speeds

I then installed mac OS used the NVMe Patch method https://github.com/RehabMan/patch-nvme

everything worked great it boots of the drive in Mac OS etc.

My issue is this I am not getting full read and write speeds in Mac OS, black magic gives me 900MBps read and write speeds only on the drive

Does any one know if there is a way to get the driver to support the Intel 750 400gb U.2 SSD completely? So I can get over 2000mbps on reads and over 1000mbps on writes?

any help would be good, Thanks.

I am also running Mac OS Sierra 10.12.2

Similar performance here using native IONVMeFamily.kext with drive settings for 4k block size.
Also, similar performance in Windows using native Microsoft drivers.
So performance problem is likely due to something Intel did or didn't do that makes all drivers but their own perform poorly.

See here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/intel-750-ssd-nvme-works-natively.212063/

Similar performance here using native IONVMeFamily.kext with drive settings for 4k block size.
So performance problem is likely due to something Intel did or didn't do that makes all drivers but their own perform poorly.

See here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/intel-750-ssd-nvme-works-natively.212063/

ahhh ok Thanks RahabMan!!

good to see I am not the only one with the issues :) not all bad still getting good speed for video editing so not complaining :)

About to make a new post but I have the same issue. Only difference is I formatted my drive with 4k sectors and it is supported natively out of the box. ;)

how do you do this? just wanted to figure out how I could do this?

RehabMan,

I found this to not to be true, the Windows Read performance is close the specs while macOS is literally half of it. Attaching screen shots of my test.

Wondering why NVMe Reads are slow with Mac build on same computer??

I am running Gigabyte GA-Z270x gaming 7 mobo, GTX-1070 with Intel 750 U.2 drives.

Attachments

• AJA Test - From Windows Intel 750 U.2.PNG
    AJA Test - From Windows Intel 750 U.2.PNG
    240.1 KB · Views: 289
  • AJA_System_Test_- macOS Sierra 750_NVMe_U.2.png
    AJA_System_Test_- macOS Sierra 750_NVMe_U.2.png
    300.1 KB · Views: 284
RehabMan,

I found this to not to be true, the Windows Read performance is close the specs while macOS is literally half of it. Attaching screen shots of my test.

Wondering why NVMe Reads are slow with Mac build on same computer??

I am running Gigabyte GA-Z270x gaming 7 mobo, GTX-1070 with Intel 750 U.2 drives.

Are you using the Microsoft NVMe drivers on Windows?
Or are you using Intel RST?
I have no personal experience with the Intel SSDs. Just summarizing what has already been written here by others.

Are you using the Microsoft NVMe drivers on Windows?
Or are you using Intel RST?
I have no personal experience with the Intel SSDs. Just summarizing what has already been written here by others.

On Windows the storage controller drivers are from Intel, but the drivers for SSDs appears to be from Microsoft. See attached screen shot.

Attachments

• Intel_750_Drivers.PNG
    Intel_750_Drivers.PNG
    130.9 KB · Views: 356
On Windows the storage controller drivers are from Intel, but the drivers for SSDs appears to be from Microsoft. See attached screen shot.

You are using the Intel NVMe drivers, not Microsoft NVMe drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back