Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti HYBRID GAMING
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello,

I'm planing to upgrade my hardware to the new 7 series (z77 or x79) and I'm wondering if TRIM works on RAID0 in Mountain Lion.
My curent setup is on a old platform (x58, with a pci-e asm 106x card) and I'm using a single ssd. Trim works like a charm, Mountain Lion is pretty fast, and so on.

I'm planing to make 2x256gb ocz vector raid 0 array to host both windows and mountain lion.
Any help regarding trim support in raid0 on mountain lion would be highly appreciated :D

Hello,

I'm planing to upgrade my hardware to the new 7 series (z77 or x79) and I'm wondering if TRIM works on RAID0 in Mountain Lion.
My curent setup is on a old platform (x58, with a pci-e asm 106x card) and I'm using a single ssd. Trim works like a charm, Mountain Lion is pretty fast, and so on.

I'm planing to make 2x256gb ocz vector raid 0 array to host both windows and mountain lion.
Any help regarding trim support in raid0 on mountain lion would be highly appreciated :D

Motherboard RAID0 won't work at all w/ OS X. There is no driver support.

In order to setup a RAID0 (striping) with both Windows and OS X you have these options:

1. In theory, 4-drives, 2-drives using motherboard RAID0 for Windows, and 2 drives using OS X style (software) striping for OS X.
2. In theory, A third-party adapter w/ drivers for both.

I've never tried either, thus the 'in theory'... In my experience, RAID0 is not worth the trouble, especially with how fast SSDs are now in the first place.

I know for a fact that TRIM works in RAID0 in Windows (7, 8) using the latest IRST Driver and a 7 series motherboard.
TRIM Enabler passes TRIM commands in single disk setups, as a result of the constant performance (not a single drop in speed after add/deleting files from and to ssd)

All I wanted to know if someone here, on the forum, used a raid 0 setup over a long period of time, if TRIM worked as it should, if there where performance drops, stuff like that.

I know for a fact that TRIM works in RAID0 in Windows (7, 8) using the latest IRST Driver and a 7 series motherboard.
TRIM Enabler passes TRIM commands in single disk setups, as a result of the constant performance (not a single drop in speed after add/deleting files from and to ssd)

All I wanted to know if someone here, on the forum, used a raid 0 setup over a long period of time, if TRIM worked as it should, if there where performance drops, stuff like that.

Maybe I got confused when you wrote:

I'm saying you can't use motherboard RAID0 at all in OS X. And you certainly can't do RAID0 striping where devices are shared between OS X and Windows, using either motherboard provided RAID0 or software-based striping provided by OS X.

So, there's no point in talking about TRIM in such an environment because you can't do what you're 'planing' to do with regard to RAID0 anyway.

That said, I'm using Trim Enabler (which patches IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext) to enable TRIM on OS X and it works fine. I don't notice any slowdowns over the past months, but I'm not constantly benchmarking my drives either (constantly hammering the drives with benchmarks is not good for SSD longevity).

I'm saying you can't use motherboard RAID0 at all in OS X.
Thanks. That was my question
I'm also using TrimEnabler on the ASM106X Controller and everything works ok. The speed remains constant on my Samsung 840 Drive

So I'm going to stick with a RAID0 array for Windows, and a single SSD for Mountain Lion
Thanks for the help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back