Contribute
Register

Intel 6700K + NVIDIA 1060 6GB - how to make 4k editing faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WiFi
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
Vega 56
Hi all,

I have an Intel 6700K on an Asus z170 pro gaming, with an NVIDIA 1060 6GB all inside a Fractal node 202 case with a Cryorig C7.

My main use for this machine is editing in Adobe Premiere. So far it has been pretty quick and handy but recently I've started doing some 4k Multicam editing and the system has been chugging, next to unusable.

I could do proxy editing but what I want to know is what can I improve in order to specifically make editing faster? I have been looking at Vega 56 and 64 cards - would swapping for one of those make a difference? It never seems to be the graphics card that's under stress, more the CPU fan that makes noise when rendering.

On a side note - this thing is pretty noisy. I don't mind noise when rendering but even at idle there's a bit of a drone. Has anyone had more success with cooling systems? I'm under the impression that I couldn't get a liquid cooler in as there wouldn't be space for the graphics card.

Looking forward to your suggestions. Thanks.

I actually have both the GTX 1070 and RX580, the machine runs much smoother and quicker with the RX580 granted its a inferior card compared to the 1070. I went through a Vega 56 and Vega 64 and both cards had high speed fan issues. The Sapphire Pulse RX580 runs natively, you just plug and play. That is the only way to edit better 4k footage.

As far as noise on the fans, I have similar issue as well. In windows it runs almost quiet but in hackintosh I get fan noise. However there is a way to reduce the fan noise by going into bios and it should allow you to control your fan speeds. That worked for me to bring them down a lot when running in Hackintosh.

If you want 4K editing to be faster you should consider FCPX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back