Contribute
Register

Integrated Graphics & Dedicated Graphics Cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Macboook Pro
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4ghz
Graphics
Nvidia Geforce 320M
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
This is probably a very simple question for most builders here, but i want to know if i buy something like the 3570K with HD 4000 graphics would be compatible with something like the EVGA 640. What i mean by this, i know some computers have both and dont kick on the dedicated card until the graphics load is too much for the integrated graphics. Can this happen with a hackintosh, or is it something that's not feasible to do?

Sorry if i seem somewhat computer illiterate, this is the first time building a computer for me. I've only ever hackintoshed a Dell mini 9 before.

Thanks,
~Kevin

To my knowledge, hacks can't do this even though genuine macs can. I sure wish they could, though...

This is not possible on a Hackintosh. You can use the GPU and the iGPU at the same time, but the OS won't switch between them.

This is probably a very simple question for most builders here, but i want to know if i buy something like the 3570K with HD 4000 graphics would be compatible with something like the EVGA 640. What i mean by this, i know some computers have both and don't kick on the dedicated card until the graphics load is too much for the integrated graphics. Can this happen with a hackintosh, or is it something that's not feasible to do?

Sorry if i seem somewhat computer illiterate, this is the first time building a computer for me. I've only ever hackintoshed a Dell mini 9 before.

Thanks,
~Kevin

No, this won't work on OSX. On Windows 7 there is the Lucid Virtu MVP (availability depends on which motherboard you want) which serves a similar function, however.

Well it's a supported feature on my Macbook Pro so it's surely doable on a Mac... I just have no idea where to even begin, and I don't think anyone has ever put any effort into trying.

Well it's a supported feature on my Macbook Pro so it's surely doable on a Mac... I just have no idea where to even begin, and I don't think anyone has ever put any effort into trying.

Sure, but that feature only works with the hardware on the Macbook Pro. Assuming the OS has support, there is still no guarantee that it can be made to work with other hardware.

Sure, but that feature only works with the hardware on the Macbook Pro. Assuming the OS has support, there is still no guarantee that it can be made to work with other hardware.

Exactly. But if it works on genuine Macs, then the code is already right there on every Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge machine, just waiting to be exploited... by someone much smarter than myself. FWIW, I'm not convinced that's it's a hardware-specific feature that many (if not most) z68 and z77 don't already have since it works in Windows with the right software.

Thanks, after this is think i am just going to stick with the i5 3450 and keep my build as cheap as possible with an EVGA 640.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back