Integrated Intel HD Graphics 4400 AND Geforce 840m
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi everyone,

I am trying my hand at making a Hackintosh for the first time, specifically installing OS X Yosemite on my UX32LN laptop from Asus (specs should be in my profile, if something is missing please point it out to me). I have been using this guide for the Clover bootloader to the best of my ability (after having failed to get it working with Unibeast).

One thing definitely worked better than Unibeast: I was at least able to boot from the USB stick. However once I try to boot into the installer itself it does seem to get to the installer but the graphics are very wonky:
IMG_20150706_214650.jpgIMG_20150706_214210.jpg

I can tell it's getting to the language select screen but obviously I can't continue like this. BTW the touchpad does not work correctly either. Since the cursor behaves normally when I plug in a mouse, however, these problems may not be related.

Does anyone know what might be causing this or how to fix it? Any help would be much appreciated!

Hi everyone,

I am trying my hand at making a Hackintosh for the first time, specifically installing OS X Yosemite on my UX32LN laptop from Asus (specs should be in my profile, if something is missing please point it out to me). I have been using this guide for the Clover bootloader to the best of my ability (after having failed to get it working with Unibeast).

One thing definitely worked better than Unibeast: I was at least able to boot from the USB stick. However once I try to boot into the installer itself it does seem to get to the installer but the graphics are very wonky:
View attachment 143255View attachment 143254

I can tell it's getting to the language select screen but obviously I can't continue like this. BTW the touchpad does not work correctly either. Since the cursor behaves normally when I plug in a mouse, however, these problems may not be related.

Does anyone know what might be causing this or how to fix it? Any help would be much appreciated!

Enable legacy (or CSM) in BIOS (eg. so you have both UEFI and legacy).

You can also try closing the lid, opening the lid.

Enable legacy (or CSM) in BIOS (eg. so you have both UEFI and legacy).

You can also try closing the lid, opening the lid.

Thanks, CSM actually did the trick there. I selected the UEFI option of the USB drive and the graphics worked fine, however when trying to format the partition with Disk Utility it just sits there for ages. It says "Preparing to partition disk" but never actually finishes. I do have Windows installed on the same drive but I have free space that I'm trying to format. Could this be causing the problem? Or is it usual that it takes a while?

Thanks, CSM actually did the trick there. I selected the UEFI option of the USB drive and the graphics worked fine, however when trying to format the partition with Disk Utility it just sits there for ages. It says "Preparing to partition disk" but never actually finishes. I do have Windows installed on the same drive but I have free space that I'm trying to format. Could this be causing the problem? Or is it usual that it takes a while?

OS X is not well behaved with disks partitioned by other than OS X Disk Utility, but there are things you can check/do.

See this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/133940-mavericks-windows-8-same-drive-without-erasing.html

OS X is not well behaved with disks partitioned by other than OS X Disk Utility, but there are things you can check/do.

See this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/133940-mavericks-windows-8-same-drive-without-erasing.html

Thanks! I'd say that helped a great deal. Making slow but steady progress. I wiped my SSD (creating a bootable USB of my Windows Installation beforehand). I then booted up the Yosemite installer once more, formatted the SSD into two partitions, one for each operating system. I installed Yosemite onto the respective partition and was indeed able to boot to the desktop. I have not installed the Clover bootloader or the drivers/kexts yet. I assume I should install Windows before doing that. When I boot up the windows installer I am able to format the partition I made for windows and it goes through with the installation. However, once it reboots (during which I remove the USB stick) it does not continue. Any ideas?

Thanks! I'd say that helped a great deal. Making slow but steady progress. I wiped my SSD (creating a bootable USB of my Windows Installation beforehand). I then booted up the Yosemite installer once more, formatted the SSD into two partitions, one for each operating system. I installed Yosemite onto the respective partition and was indeed able to boot to the desktop. I have not installed the Clover bootloader or the drivers/kexts yet. I assume I should install Windows before doing that. When I boot up the windows installer I am able to format the partition I made for windows and it goes through with the installation. However, once it reboots (during which I remove the USB stick) it does not continue. Any ideas?

How did you partition the disk (eg. what kind of partitions and with what program?)

Did you install Windows in UEFI mode?

How did you partition the disk (eg. what kind of partitions and with what program?)

Did you install Windows in UEFI mode?
I used Disk Utility from the Yosemite installer. I chose GUID partition table (it wouldn't allow me to install Yosemite with MBR). I then made two partitions: 1 Mac OS extended journaled and 1 MS DOS FAT. Originally when choosing that partition in the windows installer it would say that it cannot install to that partition but once reformatted it worked. I kept the BIOS settings the same from the Yosemite installer.

I used Disk Utility from the Yosemite installer. I chose GUID partition table (it wouldn't allow me to install Yosemite with MBR). I then made two partitions: 1 Mac OS extended journaled and 1 MS DOS FAT. Originally when choosing that partition in the windows installer it would say that it cannot install to that partition but once reformatted it worked. I kept the BIOS settings the same from the Yosemite installer.

Your mistake was using FAT for the second partition. Instead, make it free space.

And make sure you boot the Windows installer in UEFI mode. It sounds like you're booting it in legacy mode.

Your mistake was using FAT for the second partition. Instead, make it free space.

And make sure you boot the Windows installer in UEFI mode. It sounds like you're booting it in legacy mode.

OK I booted back into Yosemite, erased the Windows partition. It now shows up as free space. If by UEFI mode you mean disable CSM again (it doesn't say UEFI anywhere specifically), if I do that the USB stick does not show up as a bootable option at all. And in CSM I only get one option, not two.

OK I booted back into Yosemite, erased the Windows partition. It now shows up as free space. If by UEFI mode you mean disable CSM again (it doesn't say UEFI anywhere specifically), if I do that the USB stick does not show up as a bootable option at all. And in CSM I only get one option, not two.

You can have CSM enabled, but you must boot the Windows installer in UEFI mode in order to install in UEFI mode. The boot entry will usually show "UEFI: " prefix.

If your Windows USB stick does not show up when you have UEFI only, then you didn't create it correctly for UEFI install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back