Not open for further replies.
CPU
i5-661
Graphics
GT 520
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I have Lion and SL installed on a single hard drive (different partitions of course).
Can I install Windows 7 into a new partition on the same hard drive, and will Chimera be able to recognize and boot it?

Thanks.

If UR hdd is using a GPT partition scheme(which is must for tony's install method), the answer is NO as ur mobo does not support UEFI :problem:

Yeah it's probably partitioned as GUID, so that means there's no way to install Win 7?

I think its possible.

You will need:
Windows 7 Installation Disc / USB
Unibeast/iBoot/rBoot to get back to OSX after Windows installation is complete
Chimera to re-enable HDD Chimera because Windows Installer will make itself 1st partition to boot.

1. Partition your drive:
Go to Disk utility to add a FAT32 partition to your OSX. Resize the partitions to desire. You will only have one chance to decide the size of FAT32. After its created OSX doesn't let you resize it. e.g. On my 240G SSD I give 180Gb to OSX and 60Gb to Windows.

2. Put in the Windows Disc and reboot.

3. Pause Chimera bootloader and choose to boot Windows Installation Disc

4. Choose the FAT32 you just created in OSX and format it to NTFS and start installing. You don't need to enter the product key and don't choose automatic activation.
N.B. There will be 2 other hidden partition created by OSX and you should not modify any of them. Otherwise OSX may break and Chimera can't detect Windows partition.

5. Install all drivers/softwares required. Run windows update repeatedly until no more windows updates shows up. Once fully satisfied the install then activate by entering the product key.

6. Boot back to OSX desktop with Unibeast/iBoot/rBoot. Install latest Chimera to re-enable the bootloader priority.

7. Restart to check if the bootloader is working on both OSes.

Have fun.

Thank you, both of you. I'll try the installation when I get home. I could use some decent PC games.

There will be problems ahead when you trying to install Windows on disk which already have 4 or more primary partitions which is in you case. Windows Installer will refuse to be installed to any partition apart from the first 4 primaries. And if you exceed 4 primary partitions you will be running into partition tablet syncing issues because you are essentially creating GUID/MBR hybrid, and there will be 2 partition tablets of different type co-exist on the drive. I know of a linux utility to resync the partitions tablet when its out of sync.

You can still can install Windows on this hard disk but you have to:

1. reduce the exist partitions to 3 or less which mean removing SL or Lion.

2. reinstall the SL or Lion you removed in step 1 afterward

3. install a debian linux too to resync the partition tablet when required:
Linux terminal:
gptsync /dev/sda
(may be a debian base e.g. ubuntu / LinuxMint live CD would be sufficient)

Perhaps separate drive is still the way to go and it much less complicated.

Good Luck

haylun98 said:
There will be problems ahead when you trying to install Windows on disk which already have 4 or more primary partitions which is in you case. Windows Installer will refuse to be installed to any partition apart from the first 4 primaries. And if you exceed 4 primary partitions you will be running into partition tablet syncing issues because you are essentially creating GUID/MBR hybrid, and there will be 2 partition tablets of different type co-exist on the drive. I know of a linux utility to resync the partitions tablet when its out of sync.

You can still can install Windows on this hard disk but you have to:

1. reduce the exist partitions to 3 or less which mean removing SL or Lion.

2. reinstall the SL or Lion you removed in step 1 afterward

3. install a debian linux too to resync the partition tablet when required:
Linux terminal:
gptsync /dev/sda
(may be a debian base e.g. ubuntu / LinuxMint live CD would be sufficient)

Perhaps separate drive is still the way to go and it much less complicated.

Good Luck

How come Boot Camp doesn't work? Sorry, I'm a noob. I'm just curious.

Since I only have 298GB of data on this HDD, I will not create a Windows partition on it because I want Windows for games, and modern games take a lot of space.
I'll get a new HDD sometime soon for Windows only...

Thanks for the help, guys.

How come Boot Camp doesn't work? Sorry, I'm a noob. I'm just curious.
My understanding of why BootCamp doesn't work on Hackintosh is that BC assumes you're booting from an EFI machine(the Apple "BIOS" that's not really BIOS), so it installs extra drivers/emulators that Windows needs. These drivers/emulators prevent Windows from being installed on your machine since your machine actually has BIOS (or UEFI).

What I'm not sure of is if I need a different install USB to install to a UEFI board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back