Contribute
Register

Installing Win 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
And tricky part is you must the disconnect your OSX drive first
Believe OP is using the one drive.

edit - no they aren't OP has 2 drives. even so, physically removing anything not required

Last edited:
So I downloaded a free trial of Paragon to format it as NTFS, but Windows still can't install on it because it is MBR, not GPT.
This is due to a bug where the installer refuses to install to an MBR formatted disk when started from UEFI. You can:

a) Back up your data, reformat your drive GPT, re-install macOS and continue to install windows.

OR

b) Re-create your bootable windows 10 install media the MBR way by "burning" or "restoring" the ISO to a USB flash drive, and continue to install windows.

edit: Note that going option b way, the installer may overwrite your bootloader so have a clover USB handy so you can boot into macOS and re-install the bootloader to your system disk.

edit 2: with the first one- if macOS is on a different disk there is no need to reinstall it

Last edited:
This is due to a bug where the installer refuses to install to an MBR formatted disk when started from UEFI. You can:

a) Back up your data, reformat your drive GPT, re-install macOS and continue to install windows.

OR

b) Re-create your bootable windows 10 install media the MBR way by "burning" or "restoring" the ISO to a USB flash drive, and continue to install windows.

edit: Note that going option b way, the installer may overwrite your bootloader so have a clover USB handy so you can boot into macOS and re-install the bootloader to your system disk.

edit 2: with the first one- if macOS is on a different disk there is no need to reinstall it

How can I reformat the drive as GPT?

I checked the drive in Disk Utility, it is already listed as GUID Partition Map.

How can I reformat the drive as GPT?

I checked the drive in Disk Utility, it is already listed as GUID Partition Map.
Did you create the partition with bootcamp? Take a look at this

Last edited:
Did you create the partition with bootcamp? Take a look at this

Right now there is no partition for Windows. But when I make one, it doesn't tell me whether the partition itself is GPT or MBR. It only says whether the drive is GPT.

Is there any way to create a GPT disk without using Disk Utility or Bootcamp?

See here:

Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 12.18.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 12.18.56 PM.png

Is there any way to create a GPT disk without using Disk Utility or Bootcamp?
Use HFS+ to allocate the space. Without the hybrid MBR the windows should give you the option to initialise the partition as NTFS.

Use HFS+ to allocate the space. Without the hybrid MBR the windows should give you the option to initialise the partition as NTFS.

So basically format the partition as MacOS Extended (Journaled)?

wow, this is becoming the most complicated windows installation i have ever heard of...

It gave me the same message as before:
IMG_6027.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back