Contribute
Register

Installing Win 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I created a partition and made the Windows 10 installer using bootcamp. When I get into Clover, I have 3 options for booting, none of which work. They all just lead to a black screen with a flashing dash.

One says "boot microsoft efi cdboot"
One says "boot microsoft efi mgrboot"
And the last one says "boot windows"
I don't know what the first 2 are, and they all have the same end result.

Suggestions?
IMG_6024.jpg

install windows on the hdd, don't use bootcamp. remember, you do not have a 'real' mac and all that implies, and that clover, despite being both wonderfully powerful and grudgingly overpowering, can't grow hair on a turnip...

install windows on the hdd, don't use bootcamp. remember, you do not have a 'real' mac and all that implies, and that clover, despite being both wonderfully powerful and grudgingly overpowering, can't grow hair on a turnip...

But don't I need to boot from the usb installer in the first place to be able to install on the hdd?

btw the same thing happens when i try to boot without using clover

But don't I need to boot from the usb installer in the first place to be able to install on the hdd?

btw the same thing happens when i try to boot without using clover
You can make a bootable windows 10 installer by dragging the files from the ISO to a FAT formatted USB. Boot from it using your firmware's boot menu. Bootcamp is for macs, they have different firmware and boot differently.

Ok, so I created a partition and made the Windows 10 installer using bootcamp. When I get into Clover, I have 3 options for booting, none of which work. They all just lead to a black screen with a flashing dash.

One says "boot microsoft efi cdboot"
One says "boot microsoft efi mgrboot"
And the last one says "boot windows"
I don't know what the first 2 are, and they all have the same end result.

Suggestions?View attachment 267870

Better to Boot from the BIOS in UEFI. Than from Clover. Don't use Bootcamp. You can mount the iso and just copy the files to the Pen Drive make sure that the Pen Drive is formatted in Fat32.

Ok update, I was able to boot from the installer USB. However, it gives me a number of problems when I try to select the drive to install on.

I created a partition to install on, but Windows can't install on it because it isn't NTFS. And for some reason, the "format" option is greyed out.
So I downloaded a free trial of Paragon to format it as NTFS, but Windows still can't install on it because it is MBR, not GPT. Now I don't know how to convert. I tried using the Diskpart in the windows setup command prompt to convert it, but it gives me an error saying that this drive is not convertible.

So what do I do?

This morning I installed windows 10 on another drive in the system. had a coffee, it was done. I think you are trying too hard to do something that will net you less in the long run/scheme of things...though you are discovering the inherent mess that can occur...

This morning I installed windows 10 on another drive in the system. had a coffee, it was done. I think you are trying too hard to do something that will net you less in the long run/scheme of things...though you are discovering the inherent mess that can occur...

I'm trying to take the simplest approach.

How did you format the drive? Or did you just make a partition using Disk Utility?

just like I outlined in an earlier post. this time, the target drive for windows had an old Sierra install on it, so when the installer came to where to install windows ('custom' option), I deleted the existing partitions, and let the installer do the rest (format free space/install windows). after all was done, shut down, removed installer usb, inserted macOS drive (drive caddy), rebooted to uefi/bios, made sure 'other' was set in secure boot options, Mac drive set to boot first, reboot. I do notice if I have a bunch of install/new boot drives added activity, I tend to build up booting entries in clover, so, using 'bcfg boot dump' while in the clover boot menu to find no longer used bootable options, and removing them with 'bcfg boot rm (followed by entry to be removed)' pretty much guarantees an issue free dual boot re windows (uefi)/macOS

Last edited:
How did you format the drive? Or did you just make a partition using Disk Utility?

Dont use to format button. And I already explained easy way to install in first page. Just follow the instructions.

And tricky part is you must the disconnect your OSX drive first. Just leave it your Windows drive in your machine. Otherwise you always get different errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back