CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 780
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi! For reasons I'd rather not get into, I want to install Snow Leopard on my 2012 Macbook Air, with an Ivy Bridge processor. While this computer is an actual Mac, the earliest version of OS X it officially supports is Lion.

While I know that Snow Leopard doesn't natively support Ivy Bridge, I know that Hackintosh users have been able to run it on Ivy Bridge for some time. I know that this means some features aren't going to work properly, and that's okay--although I would like to get everything running as well as it possibly can.

How might I go about this? Chameleon doesn't work on real Macs, right? And does Clover support Snow Leopard? I'd appreciate some guidance, at least on where to start.

Thanks!

Kernel in Snow Leopard doesn't have support for Ivybridge.

I know there's no native support, but it's doable on Hackintosh desktops, so shouldn't I be able to do something similar on an actual Mac laptop?

The guide you posted is a temporary solution for booting an IvyBridge system with Snow Leopard to gain access to Mac App Store for newer versions of OS X. The only way to boot Snow Leopard is using the iBoot IvyBridge disc. It doesn't allow you to boot from the hard drive.

The guide you posted is a temporary solution for booting an IvyBridge system with Snow Leopard to gain access to Mac App Store for newer versions of OS X. The only way to boot Snow Leopard is using the iBoot IvyBridge disc. It doesn't allow you to boot from the hard drive.

That may be the guide's intention, but it does ultimately allow you to boot into Snow Leopard, on a computer running Ivy Bridge.

Presumably there should be a way to do something similar on a real Mac, right? Since it is a real Mac, I can't use iBoot/Chameleon.

Presumably this works via a custom kernel or something, right? How would I go about installing that?

That may be the guide's intention, but it does ultimately allow you to boot into Snow Leopard, on a computer running Ivy Bridge.

Presumably there should be a way to do something similar on a real Mac, right? Since it is a real Mac, I can't use iBoot/Chameleon.

Presumably this works via a custom kernel or something, right? How would I go about installing that?

Bearing in mind Snow Leopard is available only on disc, the MBA doesn't have a optical disc drive and I've never tried to boot a MBA from an external optical drive I don't have the answer to those questions.
But in theory if you could get it to install, replace the mach_kernel with a modified kernel it may work.
Why would you want to do this?

Because I want to run some applications that require Snow Leopard. I intend to install it to a second partition, which is why it's okay if not everything works.

I've considered using Virtualbox, but setting that up isn't a simple process either, and quite frankly, with my MBA's SSD, rebooting into a separate partition is easier than starting up a virtual machine.

Edit:
Well, that was actually pretty easy. I already had a disk image of my Snow Leopard installer I made years ago, so I restored that to a USB key via Disk Utility.

Then, I downloaded a patched mach_kernel and copied to the root of my USB installer. I then rebooted into the installer and went let it install like normal. Finally, after the installer had finished (but before it could reboot) I used the terminal to copy mach_kernel from the root of my install USB to the root of newly-installed-to Snow Leopard partition.

Sleep and Graphics Acceleration don't work, but that's to be expected. Strangely, however:
1) The top row of keys on my keyboard act as normal function keys rather than special media keys. In other words, I can't change the volume via my keyboard.
2) Two finger scrolling and two finger right click don't work.

Any way to fix these things? They seem like things that should be fixable. The lack of right click is particularly problematic. Is there another way to right click in OS X? I tried Option + Click and that doesn't work either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back