Contribute
Register

Installing Sierra GM on a NVMe SAMSUNG 950 Pro (ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro) [success]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had El Capitan Successfully running on my ASUS Z170i i6600K, 32GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 950 with the Nvme m.2 SSD 512GB from SAMSUNG as Startup Drive (it was a bit tricky but with NvmeGeneric.kext and after that HackrNVMeFamily-10-6.kext it worked) .

But trying to install the Sierra GM on these same m.2 failed because Sierra could not see my shiny and fast M.2 NVMe SSD, so i could not format it. So, i tried the usual: NVMeGeneric.kext (didn't work) and i generated a HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_dp1.kext under sierra, all failed. Even in a (on a separate sata-ssd installed sierra) i wasn't able to see my NVMe M.2. All kext's are tried in the usual places (EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other), but trying sierra to start with one immediately brought a kernel panic.

What helped to accomplish the task was a Post from @Mork_vom_Ork over at insanelymac: His Post #8 from June 28 was the key to success:

Basically what he did was copy the Original IONVMeFamily.kext from sierra and put it in EFI/Clover/kexts/other. Additionally, he used a list of patches for pasting into config.plist. I followed his procedure to the letter and sierra could immediately see my NVMe M.2, i could format it and install sierra GM to it without problems. I even used the config.plist with the patches in sierra GM which worked fine. One can then remove the IONVMeFamily.kext from EFI/Clover/kexts/Other because the kext is installed with sierra and gets patched from your config.plist. Great stuff! Thanks to @mork vom Ork and Pike R. Alpha, who works also on this stuff.

Only thing what didn't work for me is WLAN with my BCM94352Z, but this ma get another thread...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have so late joined to MacOS Shierra world Yesterday under the well-matured Unibeast 7.1.1. But oly thing to have to solve, was to enable the access path for my favariate NMVe SSD drive (SM951). But, I found this "your-tips-and-hint" thru my net-seraching. Fortunately, I was a member of Insanetly log-long-a-go, so I could get the subject kekt into my test-system for Shierra. With the great value from patch, I really could reach the goal which I could make the enabling the access path for NVMe-SSD (SM951) . Thanks a lot for your advice and hints.

Yep, its in there. Have you been able to update from an NVME(10.11) to an NVME(10.12.2)? Update, not fresh install and then clone.
Did you make it upgrading directly from 10.11? I'm having the same error message at boot... (ASrock H170M i5-6500 Samsung 950pro m.2)

K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back