Contribute
Register

Installing Sierra GM on a NVMe SAMSUNG 950 Pro (ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro) [success]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solved it:
1) installed Sierra on a external SSD via a Bootstick created with Unibeast 7.0.1
2) build a HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_0.kext to get acces to my NVME SSD (Samsung 950)
3) installed Sierra @ the NVME SSD

Thank you all in this thread! After I destroyed my Hackintosh while trying to upgrade to Sierra I now got it working again. I too had no <array> around the dicts... Simple error that made my head itch for days :)

Another question now though: Maybe someone can answer it, since you have NVME cards too. Does it make a chirping sound while being written on?

I installed google drive an it keeps pulling everything down. And while that's happening there's a chirping sound from the mainboard I that wasn't there with El Capitan.

I don't know the details but could using the Patches from Mork vom Ork do that? Under El Capitan I used the NVMEgeneric... On the other hand it could be the ethernet card. All I know is, that it's totally in sync with downloading/writing to disk operations.

Nope, i cannot confirm a chirping sound since i have placed my rig totally outside of the living room and use it thru a 5 m display port-cable and 2 5m USB Extension cables, even bluetooth and WLAN Antennas with extended cables. Works beautifully for me, and there is no sound from HDs, ventilators or whatsoever. I don't use google drive, so i can also not confirm the behaviour you describe.

For further use of Nvme-Installs i recommend the use of Rehabman's Guide, which builds upon the Patches from Mork vom Ork. He may optimize his solution over time, so this is the way to go...

Solved it:
1) installed Sierra on a external SSD via a Bootstick created with Unibeast 7.0.1
2) build a HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_0.kext to get acces to my NVME SSD (Samsung 950)
3) installed Sierra @ the NVME SSD

Can you go into a little more detail on how you went about step 3?

Can you go into a little more detail on how you went about step 3?
Yes:
1. Superduper-Clone of internal NVMe SSD to external SSD (you can use Carbon Copy Cloner too)
2. Installed Sierra on external SSD via Unibeast boot stick.
3. Boot from external SSD
4. Creating HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_0.kext and installing it in EFI/Clover/kexts/other/
5. New boot with external SSD - now access to internal NVMe SSD
6. Superduper-Clone of external NVMe SSD to internal SSD
7. Copy of content of EFI partion from external to internal SSD's EFI partion
8. Disconnect external SSD, boot from internal SSD, ready

Last edited:
Yes:
1. Superduper-Clone of internal NVMe SSD to external SSD (you can use Carbon Copy Cloner too)
2. Installed Sierra on external SSD via Unibeast boot stick.
3. Boot from external SSD
4. Creating HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_0.kext and installing it in EFI/Clover/kexts/other/
5. New boot with external SSD - now access to internal NVMe SSD
6. Superduper-Clone of external NVMe SSD to internal SSD
7. Copy of content of EFI partion from external to internal SSD's EFI partion
8. Disconnect external SSD, boot from internal SSD, ready

I recommend that you use Carbon Copy Cloner for this methode as it can create the Recovery partition witch i a must if you
are using iMessage and iCloud.
SuperDuper can´t do that

I recommend that you use Carbon Copy Cloner for this methode as it can create the Recovery partition witch i a must if you
are using iMessage and iCloud.
SuperDuper can´t do that
Superduper is the better cloner, but CCC is enough. I have no problems with Recovery partitions. And it is not true that they are necessary.

Thanks to this thread and the linked thread, I was also able to do an in-place upgrade my macOS install to Sierra on a Samsung 950 Pro drive. Here are the steps I followed:

Step 0: make sure you don't have any old NVMe kexts laying around in your /S/L/E directory. The only one you should see is the official Apple one. Then clear out the kextcache (I just use KextBeast with no kexts on the desktop).

1. Backup main OS drive from NVMe to HDD (just in case, always backup your data!).
2. Use UniBeast to create a bootable USB drive. I decided to be cautious and only edit my clover config.plist on the USB drive and not on the main NVMe drive.
3. On the USB drive's EFI partition, rename the existing config.plist as config.plist.default and copy the config.plist from your booting drive's EFI partition
4. Edit the USB drive's EFI partition's config.plist file. Insert the patches for the Apple NVMe kext into the correct place in the config.plist file for clover on the USB drive as outlined in the OP. Also copy the IONVMeFamily.kext to the USB drive's kext/other folder.
5. Start the update from inside your current install. Each time you reboot you'll need to boot from the USB drive so that its config.plist is the one that is loaded.
6. Once the install is done, I was able to run the NVMe-patch to generate the patched HackrNVMeFamily.kext (be sure to delete the default 12.0 IONVMeFamily.kext out of /S/L/E per the instructions).
7. Do any other work you have to do after a major update (e.g. in my case with the iMac 17,1 config I have to edit a graphics kext to prevent the screen from going into power save mode on bootup).

And that was it. After that I was able to reboot from the install drive and get right into the OS w/o any special settings.

Parts:
System Definition: iMac 17,1
GA Z170M-Gaming 5, i7-6700k
32GB RAM
Samsung 950 Pro NVMe
GTX 660
Plus other SATA SSDs and HDDs

Last edited:
Success with these and linked instructions.

Intel NVMe 512GB M2 4 lane card on Gigabyte Z170MX Gaming 5, 6700K, 48GB, R9 280X, with a 1TB SATA SSD as the boot device.

Toshiba TR150 SATA SSD = 488MB/s write, 501MB/s read
INTEL SSDPEKKW512G7 = 551MB/s write, 1531 MB/sec read

Apple SSD Controller:

INTEL SSDPEKKW512G7:

Capacity: 512.11 GB (512,110,190,592 bytes)
TRIM Support: Yes
Model: INTEL SSDPEKKW512G7
Revision: PSF100C
Serial Number: BTPY6###########
Link Width: x4
Link Speed: 8.0 GT/s
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk1
Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
Removable Media: No
Volumes:

EFI:
Capacity: 209.7 MB (209,715,200 bytes)
BSD Name: disk1s1
Content: EFI
Volume UUID: 0E239BC6-F960-3107-89CF-1C97F78BB46B

Video:
Capacity: 511.77 GB (511,766,216,704 bytes)
Available: 511.32 GB (511,317,798,912 bytes)
Writable: Yes
File System: Journaled HFS+
BSD Name: disk1s2
Mount Point: /Volumes/Video
Content: Apple_HFS
Volume UUID: BFD35AB2-D180-35DD-8E1F-F524B3D14522

Hey Guys I had the Samsung 960 working in my system, but unfortunately have now stuffed the build by updating...

I had tried to update to restore the HDA audio Kexts. However on boot , almost instant panic.

I originally got it working by using @RehabMan Patch, which worked perfectly on one Hard drive then cloning to the 960d as per previous posts.

Now when i have the 960d in it panics, i have formatted this in windows, i have reloaded the bios, i have tried everything.
When i don't have the 960d in it boots perfectly from other Hard drive.

Desperately after ideas on how to fix this.

Hey Guys I had the Samsung 960 working in my system, but unfortunately have now stuffed the build by updating...

I had tried to update to restore the HDA audio Kexts. However on boot , almost instant panic.

I originally got it working by using @RehabMan Patch, which worked perfectly on one Hard drive then cloning to the 960d as per previous posts.

Now when i have the 960d in it panics, i have formatted this in windows, i have reloaded the bios, i have tried everything.
When i don't have the 960d in it boots perfectly from other Hard drive.

Desperately after ideas on how to fix this.
1. Have you got a USB copy of Sierra handy?
2. Do you have the "IONVMeFamily.kext" in the USB clover/kext/other fodder?
3. have you also applied the script patch to config file of. your USB installation?

I have 960 EVO with Sierra 10.12.0 working fine -after 3 days trouble shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back