i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi mates,

Just installed recently High Sierra on my nvme Samsung 951 without any problems with nvidia 1070 card. But lack of good support of nvidia drivers (sleep/wake problem) I decided to switch on xfx rx 580 and use sierra (no apfs) 10.12.6 not high sierra.

So here are few questions:
1) Should I do something with NVME before installing OS? Load some kexts or patches?
2) For rx 580; I should only use lilu + whatevergreen texts right? No other manipulations in clover config?
3) It's a good decision to install sierra instead of high sierra?

P.S. - I'm noobie!

Thanks in advance.

@BreBo
Thank you mate. So should I install AMD9500Controller.kext into kexts/other folder in efi? What about the lilu + whatevergreen kexts should I place them too?

About the nvme...nahhh will stick then to high sierra no problems with my nvme there.

Last edited:
So should I install AMD9500Controller.kext into kexts/other folder in efi?
No
What about the lilu + whatevergreen kexts should I place them too?
No

Check you use Clover rev. 4296 or higher, and add config.plist/Graphics/RadeonDeInit=true

I just installed the same card on 10.12.6!
First, upgrade clover to the most recent.
Then add those 2 kexts.
You might need emuvariableuefi-64.efi in the 64 bit drivers selection to enable full acceleration.

I don't know if anyone has a good way of checking acceleration. I like to try enabling it in chrome and then going to chrome://gpu/

Most of those should be enabled

upload_2017-12-5_21-0-13.png

@hboy89 thank you mate
did you checked sleep/wake? is it working properly?

did you tried high sierra before? if yes what what can you say about os user interface working faster or not?

@pompey (sorry for the delayed respond).

Sleep wake seems to work for me.

As for performance:
I was on high sierra already with a radeon 6850. Haven't noticed that much of a change but it was decent before and I don't do much graphically intense work. I did change over to a 4k monitor at the same time (the main reason I needed the new GPU), and so it is pushing more pixels. It definitely feels snappy.

Including the geekbench compute score below.
upload_2017-12-26_20-8-39.png

You'll note geekbench cannot ID the gpu correctly (for me) but the system does as a Radeon Pro 580.
I'm getting a score of 136k, which is better than the mid 2017 imac with supposedly the same card (probably underclocked to fit the heat/power requirements of the imac form factor)
upload_2017-12-26_20-10-58.png

Overall I've been happy. The compute score is behind the GTX 1070 you're currently running, but I'm guessing that compatibility is better on non-benchmark type tests, and that it will be better with metal, which is why I chose this route. Also didn't want to have to update the driver, etc.

@hboy89 thank you for a such detailed respond
yap 580 works perfectly now with hack, still searching to buy one but no luck in my location
so now for me selling my 1070 and buying 580 is the most important thing for me to switch completely to the hack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back