Contribute
Register

Installing Mountain Lion on GA-P55A-UD4P - i7860 - Sapphire Radeon HD 5870

Status
Not open for further replies.
J,

These are the settings I use, except for the Realtek driver. I'm using a Sonnet Presto GigE. After taking this image cap, I pulled my Sonnet and tested the Realtek driver. My system would go to sleep fine, wake, but not re-initialize the Realtek GigE correctly. Ethernet was not working at all after wake. You could try Lnx2Mac's, but it never worked with sleep for me.

If you ever installed the Renasas USB 3.0 kexts, you need to delete them for S/L/E. No sleep possible with them installed.

Try inserting a blank CD if you don't have a Sony Optiarc. If you are using 3rd party WiFi/Bluetooth, yank them out and test. The P55A-UD4P sleeps fine with optimized bios settings +AHCI +64 bit HPET.

View attachment 28530

View attachment 28532

Hey thanks man. I did install the USB 3.0 drivers, so I've now deleted them. I was able to use USB 3.0 under Lion with no sleep issues, wonder what changed. Lnx2Mac driver worked for sleep under Lion for me. But I found under ML that his custom ethernet driver would result in inconsistent initialization on boot up. I have been using the official Realtek one.

What would inserting a blank CD have to do with the DVD drive? (I have an LG Blueray/DVD combo lightscribe burner...) Other than of course, the Optiarc being essentially the same one apple uses...? (I didn't have a problem with this before either.)

My Bios settings have been reset to optimized standards and I've got AHCI and 64 bit HPET mode selected. (This was how it was before too, without issue lol).

I do appreciate the feed back though. I feel like I'm close to a working hack again, but this sleep issue is a bit of a problem because I have to always shut down the computer.

Cheers,

J

UPDATE: Seems that removing the USB 3.0 kexts and the official Realtek driver seem to have done the trick. The first time I tried, I got a CMOS reset, but now everything seems mostly normal. I think I'll have to eventually find a replacement micro dongle for my bluetooth peripherals because the one I've got doesn't recognize wake from sleep. I've tried the guide on this forum to no avail. CSR chips are what Apple uses for their machines, but for some reason I can't get mine to work properly.

Now to OC.

Thanks man

J

Maybe I've a touch of OCD, but I wanted everything to work perfectly: sleep, sleep-on-idle, WOL, WOD, AirDrop, Bluetooth, you name it. Also found that Geekbench performance dropped after a sleep/wake cycle, which was solved (thanks to this forum) by using an iMac 11,1 smbios instead of my preference, Mac Pro 5,1. Added benefit of having power consumption on idle drop from 102 to 89 Watts.

Bought a genuine Apple Bluetooth adapter from a guy on EBay, came with the antenna. Cost a little more, but never have to worry about future compatibility problems. Also, since I have an Airport Extreme, have bonjour sleep proxy and Back to my Mac working, allowing me to see my systems in the Finder, even when I'm out of town and all my systems are asleep.

Regarding the disk in the drive, My system would sleep, but not sleep-on-idle without a disk in my LG BluRay burner. Had to purchase an Optiarc to make sleep-on-idle work. Although sleep would work from the menu, it wouldn't fall back to sleep if I woke it from another system on the network. If your system will sleep-on-idle, please let me know, my LG is a closet queen ATM.

Also, curious about you using the official Realtek driver in 10.8. I yanked out my Sonnet and tried it, but the port would not work after a waking from sleep. MacMan said it should work, but mine doesn't, dunno why.

Another tip I picked up here is to enable all of your Advanced CPU Features in the BIOS. Evidently "Auto" doesn't get it.

MIT -> Advanced Frequency Settings -> Advanced CPU Core Features.

Set them all to Enabled for improved performance (GeekBench) and lower temps with the iMac 9,1 SMBios. You're overclocking, so YMMV, but try it out. Just wanted to pass that along.

Maybe I've a touch of OCD, but I wanted everything to work perfectly: sleep, sleep-on-idle, WOL, WOD, AirDrop, Bluetooth, you name it. Also found that Geekbench performance dropped after a sleep/wake cycle, which was solved (thanks to this forum) by using an iMac 9,1 smbios instead of my preference, Mac Pro 5,1. Added benefit of having power consumption on idle drop from 102 to 89 Watts.

Bought a genuine Apple Bluetooth adapter from a guy on EBay, came with the antenna. Cost a little more, but never have to worry about future compatibility problems. Also, since I have an Airport Extreme, have bonjour sleep proxy and Back to my Mac working, allowing me to see my systems in the Finder, even when I'm out of town and all my systems are asleep.

Regarding the disk in the drive, My system would sleep, but not sleep-on-idle without a disk in my LG BluRay burner. Had to purchase an Optiarc to make sleep-on-idle work. Although sleep would work from the menu, it wouldn't fall back to sleep if I woke it from another system on the network. If your system will sleep-on-idle, please let me know, my LG is a closet queen ATM.

Also, curious about you using the official Realtek driver in 10.8. I yanked out my Sonnet and tried it, but the port would not work after a waking from sleep. MacMan said it should work, but mine doesn't, dunno why.

Thanks bud, I really appreciate your help with all of this. I don't think my computer sleeps on Idle, but I have no need for this. The screen goes to sleep, but the fans stay on. If I want it to sleep, I can just tell it to. Also, I've got an iPad so, if I need to access my rig from a remote location, I use SplashScreen or TeamViewer, and when I'm finished I am able to put my rig back to sleep just by "selecting" it from the drop down menu.

In regards to the Geekbench scores, I'm not super worried about that. I just prefer Mac to Win7 and since I don't play many games anymore, I just need this system to be mostly stable so I can word process, email, a bit of skype-ing, some audio editing etc. Now that its in my studio at home, I will hopefully be able to use it for some more of that kind of thing. I prefer my system to be recognized as the top of the line Mac Pro (since its in a G5 case :D )

The Bluetooth thing seems like a good idea and fairly easy to do. The guides out there are very straight forward, I just have to find my module I pulled when I modded my case. At the moment I use a dongle, but its not fully compatible with OSX, so it doesn't work to wake from sleep, and has to reinitialize once awake. (I have a log in enabled, so I have to use a USB mouse/keyboard for a few moments.

In regards to ethernet, for a while the previous Multibeast was giving me some kind of issue, where I would boot and have no ethernet with Lnx2Mac's driver installed. Then for a while I was using the official Realtek driver, but after your suggestion, I removed both the USB 3.0 drivers AND the Realtek Driver. I installed the Lnx2Mac one and have no sleep issues now. Ethernet fully functioning. I'm not sure if the official one works with sleep, cus I was just trying everything to get sleep working for me. I didn't test it out with Official and no USB 3.0 or anything. Just went strait to Lnx2Mac's.

Are you saying though, that without your Add-in card, you get no recognition of your onboard chip at all, with either of the kexts?

J

I only tried the Official Realtek driver, I know that Lnx2Mac's driver had a problem with WOD when ver.90 first came out, hence I bought the Sonnet. There haven't been any updates since then, so I didn't bother.

Truth is, you represent the norm in the Hack world, and I'm someone who should just by an Apple. Have to admit that I really enjoy the challenges, but then I've never lost any data. Anyway, the answers are there for you and others.

Kudos to you for your G5 case mod, afraid my wife would kill me. Got the Dremel, but... as I said.

Girlfriend at the time wanted to... hahaha, but its ok. I like working with my hands. My brothers thought I was crazy, cus it is(was) my first mod/build. I did a lot of research though. And I've spent many hours trying to figure it all out. I would still say the trickiest part was getting the ATX power supply, into the housing of the original apple unit. Fun stuff, considering I had to lengthen the cables from the plug adaptor, and add an external switch. (which payed off dearly in the end). I also modded the fans, which is why I am happy sleep works now. I can shut it off at night :D

Cheers,

J

I only tried the Official Realtek driver, I know that Lnx2Mac's driver had a problem with WOD when ver.90 first came out, hence I bought the Sonnet. There haven't been any updates since then, so I didn't bother.

Truth is, you represent the norm in the Hack world, and I'm someone who should just by an Apple. Have to admit that I really enjoy the challenges, but then I've never lost any data. Anyway, the answers are there for you and others.

Kudos to you for your G5 case mod, afraid my wife would kill me. Got the Dremel, but... as I said.

Did you update to 10.8.1?

J

J,

I did. I'm usually a wait-and-see kind of guy, but was having a graphics glitch in Safari that I am sure is a driver bug, my card is solid. In certain situations when clicking on a webpage, my screen would go black with white vertical stripes.

I downloaded the update from Apple, ran it, and followed up by running MB 5.0.2 with the usual settings. Everything went fine, no more graphics glitches since (3 days now). I did lose the TRIM support on SSD, as others have reported. I considered using TrimEnabler, but I'll wait for MB 5.0.3, or whatever. Prefer to stay "in the fold".

You asked previously about my onboard ethernet ports, and they work perfectly in Win7, but are currently disabled in bios. Like you, I can dual boot Win7, but hardly ever do it anymore.

Russ

Later today I'm planning to pull my LG 12x BluRay burner out of the closet for a test to see if I can connect it to the eSata port and still retain sleep-on-idle function without leaving a disk in the tray. Also, still on the lookout for a working USB 3.0 driver for 10.8.

As am I. I actually found that with the USB 3.0 drivers in this version of Multibeast, the ports didn't register correctly, where as with the previous version, they did. That being said, I was unable to sleep at all. Under my current set up (no USB 3.0 drivers) my ports are just identified as 2.0 ports, though I am able to use them to charge my iPad 3rd gen. If I plug it into a regular 2.0, it will not charge. Ohwell.

Haven't tried your CD in the tray trick yet, but perhaps I will. I don't really need Sleep on Idle... But perhaps once I get my bluetooth working the way I want (Wake from Sleep) I will try it.

Good luck with the SSD. I have no need for a new HDD, as I've lots of space, or I'd invest in one.

Cheers!

J

Hey Peppy Ive been keeping an eye on your thread here. You mentioned having changed your system id to an iMac 9,1.

I'm running iMac 12,2 and I am wondering if I am getting the best performance and power consumption. Is the smbios tweak as simple as opening up /extra/smbios.plist and changing the text value to 9,1?

Thanks,

-John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back