Contribute
Register

Installing Mountain Lion on an XPS 8500 with nvidia GT640 with a pre existing Ubuntu 12.04 installat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
CPU
Ivy Bridge
Graphics
GT640
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi!

This forum is being very helpful so far, thanks for the help!

I've been a mac user for many years, but on a laptop mainly.

I currently have an XPS 8500 with a nvidia GT640 in my lab running Ubuntu 12.04 that I need to keep for my research, but I would also like to run Mountain Lion on this computer.

I would like to be able to dual boot, and I would really rather not to delete the pre-existing Ubuntu installation. I only have one HDD although it's pretty large (2TB).

Is it possible to do this without reinstalling Ubuntu?

From what I've read, these would be the steps:
  1. Split my main Ubuntu partition into two (one will stay for the ubuntu and another one will be for OSX)
  2. Move the ubuntu bootloader (grub) to the ubuntu partition
  3. Install OSX in the new partition following the standard guides at tonymacx86
  4. When I restart, the bootloader will recognize both OSX and Ubuntu

Is this correct?
Also, from what I've been reading, it looks like my Dell XPS8500 with nvidia GT640 should be pretty compatible with Mountain Lion, right?

Thanks a lot for the help! I've seen quite a lot of info on installing Ubuntu or Windows once ML is running, but not the other way around.

Dual boot is usually not a problem and i dont know if your hardware is compatibile but forget absolutely to do it with only one HDD!!!

So no one has had luck doing this before?

If I were to buy a second HDD, then it would be easy to keep my current Ubuntu installation then?

Thanks!

the problem is how uncertain is the success of an installation hackintosh. I would not run unnecessary risk...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back