Graphics
Gt-710
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I'm looking to replace my dell optiplex 780 with a dell optiplex 980 desktop that is currently described in my profile.

I'm now looking at the following pc to replace it on ebay:

Given the specs on this system, please give me some recommendations on graphics cards that can work with it when Mojave is installed and running?

Thanks,

Hi,

I'm looking to replace my dell optiplex 780 with a dell optiplex 980 desktop that is currently described in my profile.

I'm now looking at the following pc to replace it on ebay:

Given the specs on this system, please give me some recommendations on graphics cards that can work with it when Mojave is installed and running?

Thanks,
Do you want to get another graphics card for the 980? I recall that you have a XFX RX 560 in your current system which unfortunately cannot be used with MacOS without a video BIOS flash.

If so you might consider a RX 570 / RX 580 (new) or perhaps a GTX 760 (second hand).

Definitely will be looking for a more compatible graphics card. Thanks for the info. As I check out the cards you mentioned, I have a Gigabyte Radeon RX570 4gb graphics card with an AMD chipset available that I can use in the new pc. The only issue I see is that I may have to remove the bracket on the card to be able to install it in the pc because it is a dual-slot card.

That should work correct?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Definitely will be looking for a more compatible graphics card. Thanks for the info. As I check out the cards you mentioned, I have a Gigabyte Radeon RX570 4gb graphics card with an AMD chipset available that I can use in the new pc. The only issue I see is that I may have to remove the bracket on the card to be able to install it in the pc because it is a dual-slot card.

That should work correct?

Thanks,
That RX 570 should work with the new system provided the power supply can supply enough power.

After reviewing the innards of the Dell 980, I'm going to need a graphics card like the following:

EVGA Geforce GT 640

as the other cards you mentioned will not fit because they are too long. If this card will work with Mojave or there are similar cards available, please let me know.

Thanks,

After reviewing the innards of the Dell 980, I'm going to need a graphics card like the following:

EVGA Geforce GT 640

as the other cards you mentioned will not fit because they are too long. If this card will work with Mojave or there are similar cards available, please let me know.

Thanks,
Yes, the GT 640 should work with Mojave. Or you can consider a GT 710 (with DDR3 VRAM, not GDDR5), e.g.

Hi,

I just received the Dell 980 pc mentioned above and installed the EVGA GT 640 into it. I then went into the bios, reset to the defaults, then changed the disk to ahci and turned off the serial port based on the instructions in the document 'Install Mojave On Any Supported Intel-based PC'. The 980 has an I5 intel chipset in it.

I then proceeded to boot the computer using a 16 gb usb flash drive containing Mojave. The computer displays the clover selection screen where I select to install the mojave software from the flash drive. The install process gets to about 60% of the way thru until it halts at the black screen with the white circle with the line thru it.

Any idea what's causing this issue? Are there other parameters in the bios I need to modify in order to resolve this issue?

I'm also going to try the Gigabyte rx570 with the amd chipset but am going to buy a 450+ power supply for the 980 due to the power requirements of the rx570.

Let me know my options, all suggestions appreciated in advance.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back