Graphics
Gt-710
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I'm back with another attempt to install Mojave on my Dell Optiplex 780. The difference this time is that I was able to acquire a XFX Amd Radeon 560 graphics card with 4gb of gddr5 ram which according to my research should be compatible with Mojave. All other components of my build have not changed.

I created a usb boot flash drive as per the instructions on this website and proceeded to start the initial install process. My current problem occurs at the clover boot screen(5102). I select the 'boot OSX install from Install macOS Mojave' icon and the program starts the process.

I then get the Apple icon and the progress bar under it. But the progress bar slows down as it proceeds across the screen, then stops about 99% of the progress bar and never completes so I have not been able to process past that point.

The program displays no error messages of any kind, it just sits there and I have no idea how to troubleshoot the issue.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated in advance as to what is going on and what I can do to resolve the issue.

Thanks,

Hi all,

I'm back with another attempt to install Mojave on my Dell Optiplex 780. The difference this time is that I was able to acquire a XFX Amd Radeon 560 graphics card with 4gb of gddr5 ram which according to my research should be compatible with Mojave. All other components of my build have not changed.

I created a usb boot flash drive as per the instructions on this website and proceeded to start the initial install process. My current problem occurs at the clover boot screen(5102). I select the 'boot OSX install from Install macOS Mojave' icon and the program starts the process.

I then get the Apple icon and the progress bar under it. But the progress bar slows down as it proceeds across the screen, then stops about 99% of the progress bar and never completes so I have not been able to process past that point.

The program displays no error messages of any kind, it just sits there and I have no idea how to troubleshoot the issue.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated in advance as to what is going on and what I can do to resolve the issue.

Thanks,

The XFX RX 560 4GB card is known to have problems with MacOS, e.g.

In that thread it was suggested that flashing the video card BIOS with a corresponding one from a Sapphire RX 560 will make the card work.

If you don't want to go through this procedure, you will have to replace the card.

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I am going to replace the card at this point. I am looking at the following candidates to replace it below(4gb models):

AMD Radeon RX 560
Sapphire RX 560

Also, which chipset should I be looking for in the video cards mentioned above that will work with Mojave?

Will either of these cards be a suitable replacement that will work with Mojave? I'm on a limited budget but will go over that to get a video card that will work with my specs and allow me get Mojave up and running.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for the response. I am going to replace the card at this point. I am looking at the following candidates to replace it below(4gb models):

AMD Radeon RX 560
Sapphire RX 560

Also, which chipset should I be looking for in the video cards mentioned above that will work with Mojave?

Will either of these cards be a suitable replacement that will work with Mojave? I'm on a limited budget but will go over that to get a video card that will work with my specs and allow me get Mojave up and running.

Thanks,

Any brand of RX 560 except XFX (assuming availability) should work with MacOS Mojave. I have a Sapphire Pulse RX 560 4GB myself and while it is now residing in a Windows 7 machine, when I tested it with MacOS High Sierra and Mojave there were no problems.

Edit : Just saw that your system has an old Core 2 Duo E8600 CPU which is a problem with Mojave and AMD RX graphics cards. Your CPU lacks a specific instruction (SSE4.2) which is required by the AMD graphics drivers in MacOS Mojave and later. Therefore even if you were to get a supported AMD RX graphics card your system will still not work with it on Mojave.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to go back to High Sierra for the moment. Since I am partial to Dell and HP desktop pc, can you give me any pointers that I should be on the lookout for a desktop that should be able to have Mojave installed and run?

I'm going to try installing High Sierra on the same system using an ASRock Radeon 560 graphics card that has an AMD chipset.

Thanks for your help,

Atrain01us

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back