Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
iMac
CPU
Core i7
Graphics
iMac
Been lurking around here for a while. Seriously considering building a dual 6 core cpu hackintosh as the new Mac Pro concerns me with last of upgradability and expansion options, not to mention price. My 2006Mac Pro, updated to a 2,1 and dual quad core 3.0 ghz CPU's is great, but OS is maxed out at 10.7.4.

i do have a WHS EX 495 kicking around. It has 4 x 2TB drives and I was considering over breakfast this AM that it might be a decent candidate to convert to a Mac Server box. It has no video card, which may present issues, but I have heard of folks installing Mac OS on HP laptops with some success.

Please, I hope I am not breaking any rules here by asking this. I have valid family pack copies of every version of OSX up to 10.7, so legal installs available. Also would buy the appropriate OSX Server edition to go on top of whatever version I install.

the CPU in the WHS is a core 2 duo. It has 2 GB Ram, I would happily upgrade the CPU to a more compatible version, though I think the Ram the whs box uses is pretty pricey and may cost a bomb to go to 4GB. If there is a good alternative motherboard, I could consider that as well.

I don't have a component list of what is in the box, but will try to get if needed. Wondering if anyone has tried this. Thanks. BTW, this is a heck of a community. I look forward to putting at least a media computer build together for hosting movies and music at the cabin.

OK, just did a search and found an application on an EX 485.

i'll read thru that as a start. If anyone has some advice otherwise re: above, happy to take it. But looks like this might work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back