Contribute
Register

Installing High Sierra on NVME 960 Pro not showing in Clover (solved, sort of)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus Hero VIII
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
RX 580
Finally bought a Samsung 960 PRO NVME M.2 SSD. I decided to test out HS on it before I start using it.

I've created the installer USB with UNIBEST 8.2 and MacOS HS downloaded from the App store.
When booting from the usb installer I choose "install mac os high sierra from...." and for some reason it brings me directly to the MacOS utilities page, theres no "choose language" or anything. I chose disk utility to format the new NVME. Then in order to start the installation (which says upgrade or install high sierra) I had to connect to wifi because I was receiving an error that it could not connect to server or something. Once that Installation completed and it restarted, I boot from the USB again and (only this one time) I was able to see the NVME drive and continue the 2nd half of installation and before it completed it restarted again, and now I can no longer see the drive in clover. I restarted all of the steps and now after the first half of the installation process it just won't show the NVME drive in clover to do the 2nd half...

Clover version is 4173.
BIOS is set correct (unless there is a specific change for NVME that I'm not aware of) as I can boot into my other Sierra and elCaptain Drives from the same clover with no issues.

Any ideas
When I get home from work Ill try to elaborate if this is confusing.

Last edited:
Finally bought a Samsung 960 PRO NVME M.2 SSD. I decided to test out HS on it before I start using it.

I've created the installer USB with UNIBEST 8.2 and MacOS HS downloaded from the App store.
When booting from the usb installer I choose "install mac os high sierra from...." and for some reason it brings me directly to the MacOS utilities page, theres no "choose language" or anything. I chose disk utility to format the new NVME. Then in order to start the installation (which says upgrade or install high sierra) I had to connect to wifi because I was receiving an error that it could not connect to server or something. Once that Installation completed and it restarted, I boot from the USB again and (only this one time) I was able to see the NVME drive and continue the 2nd half of installation and before it completed it restarted again, and now I can no longer see the drive in clover. I restarted all of the steps and now after the first half of the installation process it just won't show the NVME drive in clover to do the 2nd half...

Clover version is 4173.
BIOS is set correct (unless there is a specific change for NVME that I'm not aware of) as I can boot into my other Sierra and elCaptain Drives from the same clover with no issues.

Any ideas
When I get home from work Ill try to elaborate if this is confusing.

Make sure SATA mode is AHCI in BIOS.

Then...
Make sure your View menu is set correctly in Disk Utility.
Choose View -> "Show All Devices"
Then exit Disk Utility, then start Disk Utility again.

Make sure SATA mode is AHCI in BIOS.

Then...
Make sure your View menu is set correctly in Disk Utility.
Choose View -> "Show All Devices"
Then exit Disk Utility, then start Disk Utility again.

Thanks for the response RehabMan,
I did not double check the SATA mode, But i think I have it set, since I have no problem seeing my Sierra boot drive SSD and booting up fine from it? Ill check as soon as I get home from work.

I have no problem seeing the drive in disk utility. And it properly shows 5gb installed on the NVME after the first half of the installation.

Thanks for the response RehabMan,
I did not double check the SATA mode, But i think I have it set, since I have no problem seeing my Sierra boot drive SSD and booting up fine from it? Ill check as soon as I get home from work.

I have no problem seeing the drive in disk utility. And it properly shows 5gb installed on the NVME after the first half of the installation.

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

But... Seems like you forgot apfs.efi in drivers64UEFI...

Sorry, Ill post a.zip of my EFI/Clover folder after I try to install this again, if it doesn't work. (Ive deleted the high Sierra install file , re downloaded and am now re creating the unibeast USB, thinking maybe something went wrong before) -In Bios SATA is set AHCI and unibeast created a apfs.efi file in the drivers64UEFI folder, and I even tried replacing that one with a 10.13.3 version I found in the forums...

SOLVED! ( Sort of)
For some reason when I choose boot drive (f8 on my asus board) from start up,no matter what drive I select it would default to my #1 boot drive that is set in the bios settings, which has clover 4173, which did not display the new APFS drive. I changed the #1 boot drive in the bios settings to the USB and then it booted from the clover on the USB which was version 4359 (i think) and that showed the APFS drive no problem!

No Idea whats up with my bios, I'll tackle that problem another day!!
Thanks again for the help Rehabman!

SOLVED! ( Sort of)
For some reason when I choose boot drive (f8 on my asus board) from start up,no matter what drive I select it would default to my #1 boot drive that is set in the bios settings, which has clover 4173, which did not display the new APFS drive. I changed the #1 boot drive in the bios settings to the USB and then it booted from the clover on the USB which was version 4359 (i think) and that showed the APFS drive no problem!

No Idea whats up with my bios, I'll tackle that problem another day!!
Thanks again for the help Rehabman!

Sounds like you have a really version of Clover installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back