Contribute
Register

Installing High Sierra on a machine that already has Windows on another drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you make sure to install the Win10 drive in the default slot (first slot the system looks at on boot) and make sure that you change the BBS boot order to Win10 drive first when doing Windows updates the updates will not affect the other drives. Once the update process comes back and says no updates are available, then you can reboot to BIOS and reset the boot order back to Mac OS drive first.

One way to make sure of this is to install 2 drives. When you reach the point in the Win10 installation to choose a drive for the install, choose the first one offered. Then, after installation, remove one drive and determine the default slot.
You have to determine the "default slot" and change the boot order to list the Windows 10 drive first and then the updates will not affect other drives?

But in a dual boot MacOS / Windows 10 system in order to boot using Clover or OpenCore do you have to set the MacOS drive as the boot drive (as you usually install Clover or OpenCore there)?

If so that means you have to change the boot order every time you need to install Windows 10 updates (and don't forget Windows 10's default is to automatically download and install updates) and personally I don't think I will remember to do this every time in such a dual boot system.

Thank you for your information, but if what you said is true, such a dual boot system is too troublesome for me. I think I will just carry on with my current arrangement, which is to keep Windows and MacOS on separate machines.

You have to determine the "default slot" and change the boot order to list the Windows 10 drive first and then the updates will not affect other drives?

But in a dual boot MacOS / Windows 10 system in order to boot using Clover or OpenCore do you have to set the MacOS drive as the boot drive (as you usually install Clover or OpenCore there)?

If so that means you have to change the boot order every time you need to install Windows 10 updates (and don't forget Windows 10's default is to automatically download and install updates) and personally I don't think I will remember to do this every time in such a dual boot system.

Thank you for your information, but if what you said is true, such a dual boot system is too troublesome for me. I think I will just carry on with my current arrangement, which is to keep Windows and MacOS on separate machines.
Win10 Pro will allow you to defer feature updates to the full OS for a time. Security updates will not affect other drives.
While Win10 Home does not have this option, you can delay updates if you use WiFi by telling the update center you use metered Wifi - the update center will notify you and allow you to choose when to update.

OTOH, you are correct - better to use separate machines (not everyone can afford this) or do like I do - use a hot swap bay for the boot drive (unfortunately not an option for a laptop).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back