Contribute
Register

Installing GC-Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 card in Asus Maximus Hero 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luckyal,

I can certainly try to help as I did manage to get Thunderbolt working on my Z270 Prime A board. It is now running in Sierra full-time, and working with devices like my Drobo 5D. The first and foremost issue is that you have to have the Asus Alpine Ridge EX3 card on the PCI 3rd slot and you have to first have a working install of Windows 10 to activate the TB3 firmware and then do a firmware update for it (in Windows). If the update works the Windows TB3 software will confirm the card's properties. Once that is activated, rebooting back into OSX and setting up TB3 will then be a very easy process. I will probably post my EX3 BIOS settings later on if you need them.

Luckyal,

I can certainly try to help as I did manage to get Thunderbolt working on my Z270 Prime A board. It is now running in Sierra full-time, and working with devices like my Drobo 5D. The first and foremost issue is that you have to have the Asus Alpine Ridge EX3 card on the PCI 3rd slot and you have to first have a working install of Windows 10 to activate the TB3 firmware and then do a firmware update for it (in Windows). If the update works the Windows TB3 software will confirm the card's properties. Once that is activated, rebooting back into OSX and setting up TB3 will then be a very easy process. I will probably post my EX3 BIOS settings later on if you need them.
Thank you for your reply! So it sounds like it HAS to be the Asus EX3 card and a GC-Alpine Ridge 2.0 won't work? I ask because @kgp successfully paired an Asus board with a Gigabyte AIC. I get that we're talking a little bit of apples/oranges since you can't compare a Z270 to a X299 platform and an Alpine Ridge AIC to a Titan Ridge AIC, but is there really that big of a difference?

As for successful Windows implementation, I have successfully installed the driver and the thunderbolt audio interface I have connected to the Gigabyte AR AIC is recognized and works perfectly. I'll be honest - I can't promise that I have followed @kgp advice where he states that: "it is absolutely mandatory to run or perform an UEFI Windows implementation!", however everything in Windows works without any problems, so I can't imagine that a dual boot requirement, to which he eludes later on in his post, comes into play.

Unlike v 1.0, the GC-Alpine Ridge v2.0 does NOT require a firmware update. Asus EX3 might be a different story. I have a strong suspicion that the issue for me lies somewhere between my BIOS settings (perhaps outside of Thunderbolt subcategory) and my kexts/clover/efi files. Not sure at this point. Have you had a chance to take a peek at least at my screen shots and compare the kexts/efi files to yours? Thanks again for trying to help!

Thank you for your reply! So it sounds like it HAS to be the Asus EX3 card and a GC-Alpine Ridge 2.0 won't work? I ask because @kgp successfully paired an Asus board with a Gigabyte AIC. I get that we're talking a little bit of apples/oranges since you can't compare a Z270 to a X299 platform and an Alpine Ridge AIC to a Titan Ridge AIC, but is there really that big of a difference?

As for successful Windows implementation, I have successfully installed the driver and the thunderbolt audio interface I have connected to the Gigabyte AR AIC is recognized and works perfectly. I'll be honest - I can't promise that I have followed @kgp advice where he states that: "it is absolutely mandatory to run or perform an UEFI Windows implementation!", however everything in Windows works without any problems, so I can't imagine that a dual boot requirement, to which he eludes later on in his post, comes into play.

Unlike v 1.0, the GC-Alpine Ridge v2.0 does NOT require a firmware update. Asus EX3 might be a different story. I have a strong suspicion that the issue for me lies somewhere between my BIOS settings (perhaps outside of Thunderbolt subcategory) and my kexts/clover/efi files. Not sure at this point. Have you had a chance to take a peek at least at my screen shots and compare the kexts/efi files to yours? Thanks again for trying to help!

Hi Luckyal,

You're most welcome (as that's what we're here for!)...to push the boundaries of a Hackintosh setup. As such, a Hackintosh with TB functionality has always been my preferred choice of system (because you are getting the best IO throughput and functions from it).

Regarding your question of the GC card's compatibility, whilst I won't disagree with @kgp's setup I certainly do not recommend the method, probably because of functional differences in the X299 and Z270 architecture. Whilst you could certainly try tweaking the BIOS settings to see what comes up and whether it works or not, I see it as a difference between how each manufacturer has set it up and not just simple BIOS or kexts/efi settings.

With an EX3 you are getting the full functionality for the ASUS motherboard because that was how it was designed. An EX2 card shouldn't be a problem either so long as it is with the same brand, BUT there may be slight differences in features. When you put in a 3rd party card however there will be inconsistencies between them, particularly at the IRQ interrupt and firmware level (even if the card follows an industry standard for TB implementation).

So if you really want it to work in macOS it would be better off just ditching the GC card and get a proper EX3 instead (that's my opinion).

Yes I've had a look at your EFI files and settings, but would need to see your GC card's BIOS setup to get a better picture.

For the EX3 BIOS settings, (if it helps) I came across this page which has them listed (and fully working). https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-i7-7700k-asus-z270-a-prime-asus-thunderboltex-3.252827/

Hi Luckyal,

You're most welcome (as that's what we're here for!)...to push the boundaries of a Hackintosh setup. As such, a Hackintosh with TB functionality has always been my preferred choice of system (because you are getting the best IO throughput and functions from it).

Regarding your question of the GC card's compatibility, whilst I won't disagree with @kgp's setup I certainly do not recommend the method, probably because of functional differences in the X299 and Z270 architecture. Whilst you could certainly try tweaking the BIOS settings to see what comes up and whether it works or not, I see it as a difference between how each manufacturer has set it up and not just simple BIOS or kexts/efi settings.

With an EX3 you are getting the full functionality for the ASUS motherboard because that was how it was designed. An EX2 card shouldn't be a problem either so long as it is with the same brand, BUT there may be slight differences in features. When you put in a 3rd party card however there will be inconsistencies between them, particularly at the IRQ interrupt and firmware level (even if the card follows an industry standard for TB implementation).

So if you really want it to work in macOS it would be better off just ditching the GC card and get a proper EX3 instead (that's my opinion).

Yes I've had a look at your EFI files and settings, but would need to see your GC card's BIOS setup to get a better picture.

For the EX3 BIOS settings, (if it helps) I came across this page which has them listed (and fully working). https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-i7-7700k-asus-z270-a-prime-asus-thunderboltex-3.252827/
Ok, I took the risk and replaced my Gigabyte Alpine Ridge with the Asus ThunderboltEX 3. Installs and works in Windows 10 without any problems, not recognized in macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 at all. IOReg sees the Thunderbolt interface connected, but it's not talking to the system as an audio interface. I'm honestly at a loss. Card is currently installed in the lowest PCIEX4_3 slot (closest to the TH3 header). I also have the second M.2 NVME slot populated (if that makes any difference at this point). I can post my BIOS screenshots I suppose, but if the damn thing works in Windows, it should work in macOS, no?

Hey again,

As I am in the same situation as you, I have been following this thread and other conversations regarding the VRS-8 and Hackintosh systems.

Unfortunately, my investigation would suggest that our issues have nothing to do with which Thunderbolt card we are using or how it is set up, but rather that the VRS-8's drivers or firmware simply do not allow it to be properly initialized by a Hackintosh system.

I can get a single VRS-8 interface to initialize and function in Windows 10 via Thunderbolt (Alpine Ridge 2.0 card -> Startech TB3>2 converter -> Apple Thunderbolt 2 cable -> VRS8), even though Windows thunderbolt connectivity is not yet supported.

In OS X (10.12.6):
-Connecting via Thunderbolt does show "No Drivers are Loaded" instead of "No Hardware" in System Report
-IOReg seems to show some level of thunderbolt connection, but does not actually recognize the unit.
-Connecting via the PCIe card also yields no connection in OSX but does work in Windows 10.

Also of note:
-While booting to Windows, the interface clicks twice, flashes the lights back and forth in sequence right-to-left and left-to-right, and then clicks once more as Windows is booting.
-While booting into OS X, the interface clicks twice, flashes the lights back and forth in sequence right-to-left and left-to-right, but does not click the 3rd time.

It would appear that the VRS-8 itself is simply failing to initialize as OS X is starting up, and, therefore, is not available as an audio device. It is very likely that Thunderbolt is working properly on our systems already, but the interface is the issue. (I am going to have to pick up some alternate Thunderbolt peripheral to use for testing, but this still seems like the likely scenario.)

This is also corroborated by some discussion in the Slate Audiophiles Facebook group which has documented UAD Apollo, Lynx, Focusrite, and other interfaces (as well as various other Thunderbolt peripherals) working across multiple Hackintosh builds, but the VRS-8 will not work/initialize on those same systems.
The VRS-8 will also not work via PCIe on those systems.

Slate's support staff (as well as Steven Slate himself) are aware of this, however, Steven Slate's response to the FB discussion was "Unfortunately guys we cannot create a driver for a hackintosh and will continue to focus on Mac Thunderbolt and PC PCIe". Not exactly what we want to hear, but also completely understandable since no developer is going to specifically develop for configurations that aren't "supposed to work".

That being said, this doesn't necessarily mean that the units will never function using Hackintosh systems (competing interfaces working properly would suggest that something could be done to remedy the problem), but it does mean that it won't specifically be a priority to add support for hacked systems.
Also, it sounds like PCIe behavior on old Mac Pro systems has exhibited similar non-initialization issues.
This could be promising since it is possible/likely that whatever required alterations to the drivers and firmware are made in the interest of correcting that functionality may have the side effect of fixing Hackintosh initialization as well.

In the mean time, it might be of more use to simply verify that Thunderbolt is working on your system with other devices. Beyond that, it may simply be a game of waiting and hoping that we can eventually use our interfaces with OSX instead of just Windows.

Hey again,

As I am in the same situation as you, I have been following this thread and other conversations regarding the VRS-8 and Hackintosh systems.

Unfortunately, my investigation would suggest that our issues have nothing to do with which thunderbolt card we are using or how it is set up, but rather that the VRS-8's drivers or firmware simply do not allow it to be properly initialized by a Hackintosh system.

I can get a single VRS-8 interface to initialize and function in Windows 10 via Thunderbolt (Alpine Ridge 2.0 card -> Startech TB3>2 converter -> Apple Thunderbolt 2 cable -> VRS8), even though Windows thunderbolt connectivity is not yet supported.

In OS X (10.12.6):
-Connecting via Thunderbolt does show "No Drivers are Loaded" instead of "No Hardware" in System Report
-IOReg seems to show some level of thunderbolt connection, but does not actually recognize the unit.
-Connecting via the PCIe card also yields no connection in OSX but does work in Windows 10.

Also of note:
-While booting to windows, the interface clicks twice, flashes the lights back and forth in sequence right-to-left and left-to-right, and then clicks once more as Windows is booting.
-While booting into OS X, the interface clicks twice, flashes the lights back and forth in sequence right-to-left and left-to-right, but does not click the 3rd time.

It would appear that the VRS-8 itself is simply failing to initialize as OS X is starting up, and therefore is not available as an audio device. It is very likely that thunderbolt is working properly on our systems already, but the interface is the issue (I am going to have to pick up some alternate thunderbolt peripheral to use for testing, but this still seems like the likely scenario).

This is also corroborated by some discussion in the Slate Audiophiles Facebook group which has documented UAD Apollo, Lynx, Focusrite, and other interfaces (as well as various other thunderbolt peripherals) working across multiple Hackintosh builds, but the VRS-8 will not work/initialize on those same systems.
The VRS-8 will also not work via PCIe on those systems.

Slate's support staff (as well as Steven Slate himself) are aware of this, however, Steven Slate's response to the FB discussion was "Unfortunately guys we cannot create a driver for a hackintosh and will continue to focus on Mac Thunderbolt and PC PCIe". Not exactly what we want to hear, but also completely understandable since no developer is going to specifically develop for configurations that aren't "supposed to work".

That being said, this doesn't necessarily mean that the units will never function using Hackintosh systems (competing interfaces working properly would suggest that something could be done to remedy the problem), but it does mean that it won't specifically be a priority to add support for hacked systems.
Also, it sounds like PCIe behaviour on old MacPro systems has exhibited similar non-initialization issues.
This could be promising since it is possible/likely that whatever required alterations to the drivers and firmware are made in the interest of correcting that functionality may have the side effect of fixing Hackintosh initialization as well.

In the mean time, it might be of more use to simply verify that thunderbolt is working on your system with other devices. Beyond that, it may simply be a game of waiting and hoping that we can eventually use our interfaces with OSX instead of just Windows.
Thanks for your reply. Funny thing, I was reading this thread as I got a notification that you replied. It seems that the issue may be with whether the driver is signed or not. Anyway, read through that short thread and tell me what you think. I think there might be a way around an unsigned driver bass in what I'm seeing.

And in my opinion Slate would be very foolish not to ensure that their drivers work across all computers, because people like you and me are going to flood gearsluts and social media that their drivers are very limited in scope. Many home studios guys are transitioning to hacks from iMacs and trashcan Macs because, while those are Sexy they simply cannot stay cool, are prone to thermal throttling and as a result end up with a fried motherboard or a gpu. Never mind the cost of repair, your iMac, assuming you have an Apple store nearby, will spend a solid week in their shop. Call it unplanned vacay. Slate came out swinging but I'm not feeling the support, and, if that doesn't change, I'll have no problem jumping over to Apollo or Antelope to satisfy my needs.

Last edited:
I don't disagree with you that it would be wise for the unit to work on the maximum number of available systems. I am still hoping it eventually will.
I've considered getting an actual Mac on different occasions, but every time I look at their product line it seems lacking in comparison to what I can get performance(and performance vs cost)-wise using a Hackintosh system... let alone the thermal issues.

I'll have a look at that thread and offer my thoughts afterwards. I'm definitely open to finding a solution.

EDIT: I've read through the thread, and while the concepts make general sense (and some possible solutions are hinted at), I am not entirely sure how we might go about implementing those solutions or workarounds.

Last edited:
@luckyal, to use an unsigned driver or kext, you can turn off Gatekeeper with the following Terminal Command:
Code:
sudo spctl --master-disable
spctl --status
To turn Gatekeeper back on:
Code:
sudo spctl --master-enable
spctl --status
You use to do this in the System Preferences > Security & Privacy,.

@luckyal, to use an unsigned driver or kext, you can turn off Gatekeeper with the following Terminal Command:
Code:
sudo spctl --master-disable
spctl --status
To turn Gatekeeper back on:
Code:
sudo spctl --master-enable
spctl --status
Is that prior to installing it? I have no problem installing the driver. The kexts are in their rightful place.

Is that prior to installing it? I have no problem installing the driver. The kexts are in their rightful place.
I don't know as I would turn it off before installing to test drivers/kexts. Try it now that you have it install. I'd clear kext cache with the following:
Code:
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back