Contribute
Register

Installing El Capitan via USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C port?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH-OC8.3
CPU
i5-6600K
Graphics
RX 560
I am interested in purchasing the new HP Spectre 13.3" laptop:

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/Laptops/hp-spectre----13t-laptop-t9y18av-1

Everything seems compatible except for the , which can be replaced based on the information in the Service Manual.

It only has the following ports: 1 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (Type-C, HP USB Boost); 2 USB 3.1 Gen 2 (Type-C, HP USB Boost, Thunderbolt); 1 headphone/microphone combo.

Does anyone know if El Capitan can be installed via a USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C port? I have heard people having success using these ports post installation with the GenericUSBXHCI.kext (alebeit at USB 3.0 speeds), but have no idea if you can install on these ports.

I am interested in purchasing the new HP Spectre 13.3" laptop:

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/Laptops/hp-spectre----13t-laptop-t9y18av-1

Everything seems compatible except for the , which can be replaced based on the information in the Service Manual.

It only has the following ports: 1 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (Type-C, HP USB Boost); 2 USB 3.1 Gen 2 (Type-C, HP USB Boost, Thunderbolt); 1 headphone/microphone combo.

Does anyone know if El Capitan can be installed via a USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C port? I have heard people having success using these ports post installation with the GenericUSBXHCI.kext (alebeit at USB 3.0 speeds), but have no idea if you can install on these ports.

Probably the USB ports are the least of your worries (with the appropriate adapter, they should behave like a USB3 port...)

Problems/potential problems:
- newer laptops are using I2C instead of PS2 for the trackpad (maybe keyboard too). No real I2C drivers yet.
- WiFi/BT might be soldered down, incompatible with OS X (you would need to get real specs on it)
- Skylake graphics requires that you set DVMT-prealloc (the default is probably set wrongly for OS X). Many laptops protect it,... the best candidates are those that allow it to be set directly in BIOS. You should check.
- NVMe support currently is not good. NVMeGeneric.kext can work but it has issues. PikerAlpha has started trying to patch the Apple kext for it (IONVMeFamily.kext), but it is not stable (I have tested it). Maybe you can replace the NVMe drive with a Samsung SM951/AHCI which might be supported natively (results are mixed).

Probably the USB ports are the least of your worries (with the appropriate adapter, they should behave like a USB3 port...)

The USB 3.1 type C on my Dell 9350 has not worked with adapters. I am specifically trying to understand if I can install El Cap off of a USB 3.1 type C thumb drive. Any insight would be appreciated.

Problems/potential problems:
- newer laptops are using I2C instead of PS2 for the trackpad (maybe keyboard too). No real I2C drivers yet.

I am aware of this, but have yet to experience it and will need to research it further.

- WiFi/BT might be soldered down, incompatible with OS X (you would need to get real specs on it)

WiFi/BT is not soldered down which is one reason I was interested in this specific laptop. I have a Broadcom BCM94352Z ready to install.

- Skylake graphics requires that you set DVMT-prealloc (the default is probably set wrongly for OS X). Many laptops protect it,... the best candidates are those that allow it to be set directly in BIOS. You should check.

I have dealt with DVMT-prealloc on my Dell XPS 13 9343 with UHD+ touch screen (sold) and my Dell XPS 9350 UHD+ touch screen (sold), so was optimistic I could figure it out. This is an 1,920 x 1,080 non-touch display.

- NVMe support currently is not good. NVMeGeneric.kext can work but it has issues. PikerAlpha has started trying to patch the Apple kext for it (IONVMeFamily.kext), but it is not stable (I have tested it). Maybe you can replace the NVMe drive with a Samsung SM951/AHCI which might be supported natively (results are mixed).

I have a 500GB Samsung 950 ready to install.

The USB 3.1 type C on my Dell 9350 has not worked with adapters. I am specifically trying to understand if I can install El Cap off of a USB 3.1 type C thumb drive. Any insight would be appreciated.

No experience with it, but sometimes you need to use a USB2 stick. For that you would need to have an adapter...

I have dealt with DVMT-prealloc on my Dell XPS 13 9343 with UHD+ touch screen (sold) and my Dell XPS 9350 UHD+ touch screen (sold), so was optimistic I could figure it out. This is an 1,920 x 1,080 non-touch display.

Even though it is only 1080p, most BIOS default to 32mb which is inadequate. OS X requires 64mb+.

I have a 500GB Samsung 950 ready to install.

That is NVMe. You need an SM951/AHCI.

No experience with it, but sometimes you need to use a USB2 stick. For that you would need to have an adapter...

I have an adapter, but cannot seem to find any information on whether anyone has had success using one to install El Cap. I guess I will just have to give it a try.

Even though it is only 1080p, most BIOS default to 32mb which is inadequate. OS X requires 64mb+.

Do you happen to know if HP locks or if the DVMT-prealloc can be changed within their BIOS? If not, will I need to decompile it and use EFI shell to modify it or can it be done directly in Windows?

That is NVMe. You need an SM951/AHCI.

You are correct, as always! I wrote 950, but I actually have the 850 EVO which is what I used in the Dell 9350.

I have an adapter, but cannot seem to find any information on whether anyone has had success using one to install El Cap. I guess I will just have to give it a try.

Hardly anyone has that new HP, much less installing OS X on it...

Do you happen to know if HP locks or if the DVMT-prealloc can be changed within their BIOS?

It varies per computer. You will not know until you check into it.

If not, will I need to decompile it and use EFI shell to modify it or can it be done directly in Windows?

Windows provides no mechanism to change DMVT-prealloc.

You are correct, as always! I wrote 950, but I actually have the 850 EVO which is what I used in the Dell 9350.

The 850 EVO is SATA, you may need SATA-100-series-unsupported.kext.

USB 3.1 Gen 2 does not work. If you have a USB 3.0 flash drive, then you need to plug it into a USB 3.1 Gen 1 slot.

If you have a USB 2.0 flash drive, then you can plug it into any USB 3.1 port (Gen 1 or Gen 2). If there exists a USB 2.0 type A to USB type C adapter that doesn't include the superspeed pins of USB 3.0, then that would make your USB 3.0 flash drive work as USB 2.0 (if the flash drive supports that speed).

The above assumes you have Mac OS X drivers for the USB ports (either Apple's USB drivers, or third party drivers). Of course, a third party driver could add support for USB 3.1 Gen 2 but I don't know of any that do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back