Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-P55A-UD6
CPU
Core i5 750
Graphics
XFX HD-5870-ZNFV
does anyone knows if its possible to install combo update from single user mode?

ok, thanks man for your clarification.

I don't see why U can't use the Combo in the SU mode. After all, you're mod'ing the appropriate locations on the HHD, not what's in memory. Give it a try.

BTW, I've never had to use the SU mode in my years of updating Macs OS X, starting with the 10.0 beta. Here's a link with my experience on how to update the Mac OS X.

Stork said:
I don't see why U can't use the Combo in the SU mode. After all, you're mod'ing the appropriate locations on the HHD, not what's in memory. Give it a try.

BTW, I've never had to use the SU mode in my years of updating Macs OS X, starting with the 10.0 beta. Here's a link with my experience on how to update the Mac OS X.

Diskutil don't run in SU mode because it uses a framework. I don't know how you'll mount the ComboUpdate *dmg file without Diskutil? If there's another methode to mount *.dmg's w/o Diskutil pls let me know...i'm always willing to learning :)

ok, what about if the pkg file of the combo update was extracted from the dmg to a usb flash drive or hdd
what should be the command line to execute the update process in single user mode?

karacho said:
...Diskutil don't run in SU mode because it uses a framework. I don't know how you'll mount the ComboUpdate *dmg file without Diskutil? If there's another methode to mount *.dmg's w/o Diskutil pls let me know...i'm always willing to learning :)
The default system app for mounting .dmg's is DiskImageMounter, located in:
(your hard drive) > System > Library > CoreServices

Right click on a .dmg file and look at the Open With apps. DiskImageMounter should be the default.

Stork said:
karacho said:
...Diskutil don't run in SU mode because it uses a framework. I don't know how you'll mount the ComboUpdate *dmg file without Diskutil? If there's another methode to mount *.dmg's w/o Diskutil pls let me know...i'm always willing to learning :)
The default system app for mounting .dmg's is DiskImageMounter, located in:
(your hard drive) > System > Library > CoreServices

Right click on a .dmg file and look at the Open With apps. DiskImageMounter should be the default.
Oh yep you're right :thumbup: i thought it was an subcommand from diskutil...i was wrong, sorry. But DiskImageMounter it's a coreservice and don't run in Single User mode also. I'd tried it out ;) Perhaps he's able to install a *.pkg file in SU mode with "installer" but i'm not sure 100% if it'll work like expected. He can read the manpage from installer for more informations

karacho said:
Oh yep you're right :thumbup: i thought it was an subcommand from diskutil...i was wrong, sorry. But DiskImageMounter it's a coreservice and don't run in Single User mode also. I'd tried it out ;) Perhaps he's able to install a *.pkg file in SU mode with "installer" but i'm not sure 100% if it'll work like expected. He can read the manpage from installer for more information
Well, I'll be...so Core Services don't run in Single User mode?! Bummer.

But, if you're not afraid of using the Terminal, try this command - I think it will work in the Single User mode.
Code:
hdiutil attach YourDiskImage.dmg
OK. Now I think the question is, "Why do you want to install the Combo updater in the Single User Mode?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back