Contribute
Register

Installing Catalina on old hack (GA-Z77X-UD5H)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTB

Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i5-3570K
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. LC
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I built my Hackintosh back in 2012, using generally well-known parts and sticking to basic UniBeast/MultiBeast guides because I am a newbie and don't really know what I'm doing. The hack worked great for the first 6 years, and then I stopped using it regularly and pieces stopped working (audio being the biggest issue). Now I need it to press it back into service running Catalina, so it was time for a fresh start.

My build:
  • Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
  • Samsung 830 128 GB
  • TP-Link TL-WDN4800 N900 Dual Band Wireless PCI Express Adapter
  • Rosewill RCR-IC002 74-in-1 USB 2.0 3.5" Internal Card Reader
  • Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive
  • To reconnect once system is stable:
    • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD​
    • 2x Seagate 2TB Desktop HDD​

For simplicity's sake, I am now just trying to install Catalina from scratch on a clean drive to get the system up and running. So far I have:
  • Followed the basic UniBeast: Install macOS Catalina on Any Supported Intel-based PC guide (no issues with steps 1-4)
  • In Step 5, I ran MultiBeast, selecting the following options:
    • Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 2.10.23 PM.png
    • On restart, however, some of those MultiBeast drivers didn't seem to work.​
  • Display: When the computer starts, there are a couple display issues. First, when it starts, the motherboard splash screen and Clover display has heavy fuzz. Then, when the computer starts, the display is garbled and shows the desktop three times (see screenshot). Quite by accident I figured out that by putting the computer to sleep and waking it back up, those artifacts would resolve. Any idea what is causing this? Not a showstopper, but I'd like to resolve it.
    • 78E9A6BD-CD24-4636-9946-16695A6B756F.jpeg
  • Wireless: It appears that this TL-WDN4800 card is no longer natively supported by Apple, as of Mojave. I plan to try installing 1080211Family.kext as described in this thread. However, I don't have experience using any of Kext Utility / Kext Wizard / KextBeast; are there any good guides to those tools or any pitfalls I should watch out for as I work on this? I saw a guide to using Hackintool instead; is that an acceptable substitute?
  • Ethernet: Neither my Intel Gigabit or Atheros ethernet controllers are recognized. This is more puzzling. They are less critical given that this computer currently sits in the one spot in my house without wired ethernet, but I would very much like to get at least one of these two controllers working. Any ideas what might be the issue here?
  • Audio: Works! As this was something that broke a couple years ago and I failed to fix, really encouraged that it works with this clean install.
  • Card Reader: Works!
  • DVD drive: Works!
Once I get the wireless card functional, I will attempt to reconnect to iCloud.

Any tips for dealing with the wireless, display, or ethernet issues would be great appreciated -- thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back