Contribute
Register

Installing applications to different locations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

QkY

Motherboard
GA-Z170X-Designare
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
IGFX
Okay my situation is that I'm running out on space on my SSD (Corsair 60GB) and I'd like to install applications like iLife on different hard drive (Samsung 500GB) so you know I can take advantage of having an SSD.

The only problem with all this is that OSX doesn't let me when I want to change the location (see screenshot) because it say's you can only install stuff where you have Mac OS X.

Screen shot 2011-06-08 at 11.46.30.png

Okay I'm not trying to hide it I'm a complete noob with all this Mac stuff because this whole thing works a totally different way but if I understand it correctly you can only install programs to the 'Applications' folder that you have OSX on.

I formated my Samsung drive (which I want to use for all these big apps like Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Office) with GUID and it was a Mac OS X Extended (Journaled).

HOW CAN I INSTALL APPLICATIONS TO DIFFERENT HARD DRIVE LOCATIONS?!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-06-08 at 11.46.30.png
    Screen shot 2011-06-08 at 11.46.30.png
    97.3 KB · Views: 248
Is that your procedure as well because I noticed in your signature you have got an SSD too. I'll try it but won't that cause registry problems or something like that?

Also one more question every now and then I get an image like this:

TS3742_01_KP-001-en.jpg

I guess this is what you guys call a kernel panic, right? Question: How do you find out what causes this issue? Does OS X store like a report text file or something?

QkY said:
Is that your procedure as well because I noticed in your signature you have got an SSD too. I'll try it but won't that cause registry problems or something like that?

Also one more question every now and then I get an image like this:

I guess this is what you guys call a kernel panic, right? Question: How do you find out what causes this issue? Does OS X store like a report text file or something?
No, it's not my procedure (because i have space enough) but it works. Which registry? :D

Yeah that we called a kernel panic, but it's unable to find out the reason with that screenshot. Run Console and have a look into the kernel log

I guess you are using an SSD and a large hard drive right? With your user folder being on the large hard drive and the OSX system and app.s on the SSD?
If that's the case then you can always have OSX installed on the large drive AS WELL. You could then install larger app.s to that drive and still run them from inside SSD boot drive. Okay, so it'll eat up say 60GB on the large drive, but if that drive is 1TB then who cares?

;)
If you have an iPhoto library and an iTunes collection, these can use quite a bit of space.
Get info to see how large your folders are. If large, simply copy the pictures folder and the music folder to the larger drive. Prior to that I would do an export of your pictures to a separate folder on the larger drive.
Start the iPhoto application holding down the option key, choose the library on your larger drive. If the library comes up, you should be in good shape to move the iphoto library to the trash. Don't empty the trash until you have tried iPhoto again. You should not need the option key the second time as both apps use the last library opened.
Repeat for iTunes.
I saved 8GB on my startup drive. Your iPhoto and iTunes files may not be as large.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back