Installing and running off External Thunderbolt SSD

Motherboard
Dell XPS 15 9560
CPU
i7-7700HQ
Graphics
Intel HD630 | NVidia GTX1050
Hello,

I've read the Dell XPS 15 9560 guide for High Sierra and understand that I would need to change the WiFi card to get things working.

But before diving in, I wanted to know if it is possible to run High Sierra off an external SSD connected over Thunderbolt 3? This would be ideal, especially if I could leave the current windows installation untouched.

If anyone has any ideas or, ideally, a guide to get this to work, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hello,

I've read the Dell XPS 15 9560 guide for High Sierra and understand that I would need to change the WiFi card to get things working.

But before diving in, I wanted to know if it is possible to run High Sierra off an external SSD connected over Thunderbolt 3? This would be ideal, especially if I could leave the current windows installation untouched.

If anyone has any ideas or, ideally, a guide to get this to work, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!
If you use search you will find that TB3 is not really working in macOS on hacks.

Motherboard
Dell XPS 15 9560
CPU
i7-7700HQ
Graphics
Intel HD630 | NVidia GTX1050
If you use search you will find that TB3 is not really working in macOS on hacks.
From the XPS 15 guide I understood that TB3 works, but simply doesn't support Hot-Plugging.

If TB3 isn't an option, how about running MacOS using the USB-C protocol instead?

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
From the XPS 15 guide I understood that TB3 works, but simply doesn't support Hot-Plugging.
You could always try it and see how it goes. Don't be surprised if there are issues though.

If TB3 isn't an option, how about running MacOS using the USB-C protocol instead?
USB generally not recommended for boot drives.
I've done it in the past though, and other that (expected) performance issues, it works.
Expect problems with sleep though.