Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm trying to get Yosemite installed on a 6 year old desktop PC, with an Intel DP35DP motherboard, Intel Core 2 Duo, and NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX graphics card. I've created the flash drive using the guide here, and I was able to boot into the flash drive. After I selected to boot Yosemite, the apple logo and a loading bar pops up. When the loading bar reaches about 40%, the monitor loses signal, but the computer doesn't turn off or restart. I've tried booting with different options like -x, but none of those options help. I've also tried -v, but the output is scrolling to quickly to see if there are any real issues, and when the monitor loses signal I have no way to see what the last log message was.

Any ideas on what I should do to fix this, or if it's even possible to get it working with my old build?

What has helped me is the nv_disable=1 boot flag just to get the installation going. When Yosemite installs successfully, install the web drivers and remove the flag. Your screen may look stretched until the install is complete and the nv_disable flag is removed. :)

I am glad it worked for you. I struggled for a couple of days until I stumbled on it. :D

Thanks, this fixed my issue as well. I'm having other issues with the install process, but I'll post a new thread about that.

What has helped me is the nv_disable=1 boot flag just to get the installation going. When Yosemite installs successfully, install the web drivers and remove the flag. Your screen may look stretched until the install is complete and the nv_disable flag is removed. :)

Canprince, can you point me to exactly which drivers you installed? I have Yosemite up and running now, I just need to fix this issue permanently.

In theory you can just remove the boot flag and let the native drivers within Yosemite run the GPU. However, with my card, I used to get screen freezes. The system was still running, but the display freezes. I install the alternate web driver and with my card, it is very stable.

Here is the link to the drivers (assuming that you installed Yosemte 10.1:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...ate-graphics-drivers-10-10-1-343-01-02-a.html

Hope this helps! If you need anything else, please let me know! :)

If I don't have nv_disable=1 when I boot, my monitor loses connection before the screen is fully booted, and if I have that flag, then my screen freezes before I get a chance to install the web drivers. I'm stuck :(

Yeah I know. That sucks. You have to move quickly on the web driver install. Can you do it in safe mode?

Do you also have the GraphicsEnabler=Yes? I have to keep mine in even after the web driver install.

Canprince, I'm correlating what I'm reading here with what I'm finding on my end, still bumping against something and hoping you can offer suggestions. While the El Capitan installer is loading I watch the progress bar get about 1/3 in when the screen goes black, machine restarts into Windows 10. I read in you post to set nv_disable=1, which I don't see displayed on my end this way, but take it to mean nv is Nvidia, 1 is true, so = means disable the Nvidia graphics card, yes? I have a Geforce 980 Ti, in Bios I see "Display Output" which defaults to PCI, which I changed to IGFX, the assumption being that my PGU card occupies the only PCI slot in this min-ITX build. When I then restart and return with the installer, I note one change, video only pipes out to the lower res monitor hooked into the onboard GPU's DVI, a 1080p monitor, so evidently my thinking was right about disabling the Nvidia graphics card. That said, progress bar hits 1/3 and does the same restart into Windows routine.:banghead:

I had tried other settings according to the tonymac86 instructions, disabling VT_d, verified OS type was Other OS, but couldn't find overlap in my Bios to the other items to look for.

Many thanks if you can point me. My machine specs are in my profile.

Best,
Benjy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back