Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I took a risk and bought an ivy laptop - Lenovo z580, 8gb memory, 1tb hard drive, hd4000 graphics. I've installed onto a few desktops already, but getting my laptop running has been very very hard.

The problem I'm finding is very weird behavior recognizing my hard drive with the OSX installer. I used Unibeast (Laptop support) + BridgeHelper 5.0 to make an install USB drive. I then formatted my hd, installed Lion, and proceeded to try get Lion working. I kept getting the "waiting for root device" message, no matter what kernel flag I tried. I played around with some kexts on the install volume, but nothing worked, so I decided to redo everything.

I then tried using my usb installer again, but then I noticed it just stopped seeing my hard disk altogether. My linux live cds (gparted, clonezilla, parted magic) all see my hard drive, but not my usb installer. I tried redo-ing my usb installer, and I'm still having trouble seeing my hard drive with the OSX installer.

Any advice or suggestions? Kernel flags or kexts that would usually be used to fix this?

I think I found something. A bug perhaps, I don't know. I decided to do what I did originally which enabled me to install Lion, and voila, my hard drive now appears! Something to do with Bridgehelper 5 and Unibeast 1.4. I created an install USB with Unibeast, but then I used an app called unpkg to extract Bridgehelper. I then manually copied over mach_kernel, and put all the updated kexts into my USB installer's Extra folder. I did nothing else other then using -f -v kernel boot flags

I've now installed OSX onto my hard drive. I hope this helps someone.

Now I have to figure out my next problem: "Still waiting for root device". Any ideas?

Alex3gs said:
Test Kernel frag PCIRootUID=1
thanks, but sigh, it doesn't work. "still waiting for root device" Normally it seems that people are able to start up their OSX immediately after installation, but I'm having a heck of a time. Questions for people out there:
-Could it be the HD4000 graphics that is causing it to hang?
-Should I try copy my /Extra kexts from my installer USB to SLE and run -f?
-I tried rebuilding my mkext by entering Terminal form my usb installer - but it seems to want to omit all my /Extra kexts that are otherwise necessary. Ideas?

Alex3gs said:
I've only been able to make it work in 10.7 and an update is broken. According to information I have searched the ivy bridge will be compatible laptop from 10.7.5 and mountain lion, I have also found that Apple released an update to software only for the new macbook pro, it may be that our success is in the next update to the ivy official apple support. :) I'll keep trying to upload a photo of boot failure have if anyone knows the combination.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1542?viewlocale=es_ES
Update system definition Macbookpro 9,1.....
Huh. Well, that is unfortunate - I don't have a GUI to install the update, unless there is a way to do it manually? I'm trying to avoid taking my HD out of my laptop and hooking it up to my desktop. I suppose I could try unpackage the update, get the kexts, and then copy them over via usb stick to my SLE using Terminal on the installer.

FTR, I DID notice something: while partitioning my hard drive during install, my hard drive came up as "disk 12" yes, twelve! I'm hypothesizing that the system only looks at the first few drives, but then ignores the rest. I wonder if this is the problem or if anyone else noticed this too.

FYI, if anyone lost windows while formatting their hd and didn't back everything up and lost their one-key recovery partition too, then you can download the ISO of windows, and using your key (found physically on the underside of your Lenovo) via this link: http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows ... ore-2.html

I used tonymac's guide for dual boot - and used my usb installer to create the necessary partitions. You LITERALLY can only create 2 partitions, and you cannot deviate from his instructions at all, even the naming of partitions it seemed!

You can always use gparted to shrink your partitions and make more partitions later.

is it working? i wanna buy lenovo z580 and i want know if it is good notebook for mac os ;)

b4rtt said:
is it working? i wanna buy lenovo z580 and i want know if it is good notebook for mac os ;)
No, not yet. I can get it installed, but I just can't get it to boot into OSX after installation. I've tried nearly everthing.
Alex3gs, I did follow the guide and it didn't work for me. However, now that I was able to install OSX using my own method, I will try redo my pen drive with unibeast/bridgehelper, and try that to boot up.

SUCCESS!!!

I got it booted! In a VERY round-about way. perhaps, though, I made a mistake because my Lion version on my z580 says "10.7.1" but the aforementioned guide says that this will only work on 10.7.4. So here's what I did:

1) Unibeast install onto USB stick, with laptop support WITHOUT Bridgehelper 5.0.
2) Extracted Kexts and kernel from BridgeHelper 5.0 using unpkg. Replaced the kernel on the USB stick. Copied the extracted kexts to the USB stick's Extra folder.
3) Partitioned my drive (I did the dual boot method as per tonymac blog post), installed windows, then installed mac osx.
4) Now that OSX is on my hard drive, I booting into the installer, removed my OSX kernel, and replaced it with kernel from USB stick (as per forum post).
5) Removed USB stick, reformatted it, and made a new Unibeast installer WITH Bridgehelper 5.0 applied as per proper installation.
6) Booted into OSX using USB stick. Yay!

Of course, there is more to the story to come. Now that I can actually get into OSX, I decided to do some extra partitioning with gParted live CD, and to then immediately clone my bare install of Lion. I'm currently installing the 10.7.4 combo update and will soon be multibeasting to get my other stuff working. You know, things like sound, a couple USB ports, display resolution, card reader, camera. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

birkley said:
SUCCESS!!!

I got it booted! In a VERY round-about way. perhaps, though, I made a mistake because my Lion version on my z580 says "10.7.1" but the aforementioned guide says that this will only work on 10.7.4. So here's what I did:

1) Unibeast install onto USB stick, with laptop support WITHOUT Bridgehelper 5.0.
2) Extracted Kexts and kernel from BridgeHelper 5.0 using unpkg. Replaced the kernel on the USB stick. Copied the extracted kexts to the USB stick's Extra folder.
3) Partitioned my drive (I did the dual boot method as per tonymac blog post), installed windows, then installed mac osx.
4) Now that OSX is on my hard drive, I booting into the installer, removed my OSX kernel, and replaced it with kernel from USB stick (as per forum post).
5) Removed USB stick, reformatted it, and made a new Unibeast installer WITH Bridgehelper 5.0 applied as per proper installation.
6) Booted into OSX using USB stick. Yay!

Of course, there is more to the story to come. Now that I can actually get into OSX, I decided to do some extra partitioning with gParted live CD, and to then immediately clone my bare install of Lion. I'm currently installing the 10.7.4 combo update and will soon be multibeasting to get my other stuff working. You know, things like sound, a couple USB ports, display resolution, card reader, camera. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
oh its great ;) i will buy this notebook tomorow :) can you give me your facebook or something? :) we can help together with drivers etc. ;)

Sure thing, I'll message you with my contact info. Like I said in my last post, I got past the hurdle of booting into OSX, but it's far from working with everything enabled (including qe/ic). However, getting it to boot up is pretty significant in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back