Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Impact
CPU
i5-6600K
Graphics
GTX780Ti
So I can install kexts with Multibeast to S/L/Ex just fine, but when I do a reboot without the "reopen windows on startup" button checked, the kexts that have been installed disappear on the next boot.

I know that the kexts are not permanent because my drives keep appearing as external, my CMOS keeps getting reset, and my audio keeps dying. I have double checked in S/L/E to make sure that they were gone, and yep, they were.

Anyone else having this problem?

This is the Hack Pro rig, you can see the parts in my sig

Possible answer

I have found that certain kexts become hidden?
You can use the Show/Hide utility to see hidden files/folders thereby verify file actually missing

Have you tried running Disk Utility Repair Permissions on the drive?
Just a thought...

Have you verified (prior to a reboot but after running Multibeast) that the kexts were even copied in the first place?

Unless you're running some sort of software like DeepFreeze, files don't just disappear on a reboot; them doing so would be indicative of a massive filesystem issue (the partition in question is HFS+ on a GUID partition map, yes?), or far far deeper issues with your system.

Also, view the directory directly in Terminal, not via Finder; Finder can hide many files if the correct extended attributes are set, whereas a Terminal ls listing will show them all.

I always use ls to see the files, I don't use Finder.

Interestingly enough, sometimes the files last for one reboot, but then they disappear, without fail, on the next boot. And then, even weirder, they reappear. At one point, I booted, saw that my kexts were gone (based on the fact that my CMOS reset itself and my drives were showing as external), shut down, booted again, and found that my CMOS did not reset, and my drives were shown as internal. At this point, I was like... wut.

I did verify that Multibeast installs them in the first place, I double check after every MB install

Could files on my other drives be affecting the files on my boot drive? Could this be a problem with my Unibeast USB or my SSD itself? I have all my documents on separate 1TB storage drives (I have three), so it's not a problem doing clean installs.

I don't think it's a problem with the USB install media, but that's definitely an odd issue. So your OS X system drive is an SSD? Did you use the option in MultiBeast to enable TRIM? It *sounds* like some sort of file corruption or cache issue, but I've never seen something so utterly selective. Does the volume verify properly in Disk Utility? (Verify Disk instead of Verify Disk Permissions) Does the SSD get the sort of read/write performance you expect? ("Disk Speed Test" is a free app in the App Store if you don't have a tool to do this)

Does anything else on the drive have persistence issues? If you manually create files in a few locations on the volume (the 'touch' command is good for this, creates an empty file with the specified name if it doesn't already exist, like "touch testfile") including /System/Library/Extensions, maybe the root directory and /Library as well for good measure, do those stick across reboots?

If you happen to have a spare drive, you may want to even try installing to a mechanical hard drive as a test just to rule out SSD issues.

Found a 800x600 VGA CRT I could use for temporary fixing, I "repaired" disk in Disk Utility, it told me that there be serious problems and I must run Disk Utility from the installer disk, which I did, and it seems to have fixed the problem.

I thank you, sir, for helping a nub. I can't believe I was so stupid as to forget "repair disk" XS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back