Contribute
Register

Installed a new SSD with Windows, now prior HDD with OS High Sierra will not boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ROG Strix Z370-E GAMING
CPU
Intel Core i7-8700 CPU 3.20 GHz
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070
Hey All -
I'm currently completely stumped and don't even know where to to start troubleshooting. Maybe someone here can help?
I currently have a machine with the following specs:
ROG Strix Z370-E GAMING
32GB RAM
Windows Drive: Inland Platinum 2TB SSD 3D QLC NAND M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 M.2 Internal Solid State Drive
Mac OS and UEFI drive: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 32 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Bare Drive
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070

For the past two years, I was running High Sierra with no issues off of the SATA HDD. The other day, installed a new SSD with Windows Home 10 with the SATA unplugged. I plugged back in the SATA HDD and changed my BIOS to boot up Clover. Clover boots just fine, and shows both Windows and OS High Sierra boot options, but when I try to boot the disc with High Sierra, it immediately kernel panics.

In verbose mode all I see is:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have no idea what could have changed to cause such problems, and all the guides I have read seem to indicate that installing Windows on a separate drive, like I did, was the way to make this work. Any ideas? I'd really like to get this dual boot setup working.

Hey All -
I'm currently completely stumped and don't even know where to to start troubleshooting. Maybe someone here can help?
I currently have a machine with the following specs:
ROG Strix Z370-E GAMING
32GB RAM
Windows Drive: Inland Platinum 2TB SSD 3D QLC NAND M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 M.2 Internal Solid State Drive
Mac OS and UEFI drive: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 32 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Bare Drive
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070

For the past two years, I was running High Sierra with no issues off of the SATA HDD. The other day, installed a new SSD with Windows Home 10 with the SATA unplugged. I plugged back in the SATA HDD and changed my BIOS to boot up Clover. Clover boots just fine, and shows both Windows and OS High Sierra boot options, but when I try to boot the disc with High Sierra, it immediately kernel panics.

In verbose mode all I see is:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have no idea what could have changed to cause such problems, and all the guides I have read seem to indicate that installing Windows on a separate drive, like I did, was the way to make this work. Any ideas? I'd really like to get this dual boot setup working.

Does High Sierra still boot if the Windows drive is removed from the system?

I'm going to try that out tomorrow when there's more light and I have someone to help (I'm not great with hardware). I haven't had time to open it up and remove the SSD, which is unfortunately not as easy as plugging and unplugging the SATA. I assume it will work though. The only thing that changed between when my Hackintosh drive was working and when it stopped booting is that I added this drive with Windows. I haven't touched anything on the MacOS/UEFI drive since it was last working, before the SSD install.

I was hoping there was a way to disable my M2_1 drive in BIOS to quickly test this, but looks like the only option is to unscrew it and remove it :(

Assuming it does work with the SSD removed, is there something I should have been looking out for in the Clover settings? Is there some way to disable the SSD when I boot MacOS? I set the Bios to boot the UEFI/Mac OS drive first, so Clover loads and shows all options no problem, and the Windows drive loads with no issues. It's just the High Sierra install that stopped working.

Last edited:
I just tested it with the SSD taken out, and I have the same issues. I guess this means the Windows install must have changed something somewhere, I can't figure out where. I think maybe my best option is to try and re-install on the drive from scratch. I wish I could remember what I did two years ago to make it work...

I just tested it with the SSD taken out, and I have the same issues. I guess this means the Windows install must have changed something somewhere, I can't figure out where. I think maybe my best option is to try and re-install on the drive from scratch. I wish I could remember what I did two years ago to make it work...

Hi there.

First try mounting the EFI partition of your High Sierra drive, using EFI Mounter v3.1. Check what you see in there and let us know. Sounds like Windows wrote something there.

:)

So I accessed the drive and don't see anything suspicious. Am I missing something? I'm a total amateur here and feeling pretty out of my depth. The SATA was unplugged when the Windows install happened, so I'm just confused what might have interferred with it.

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-09-19 135828.png
    Annotation 2020-09-19 135828.png
    94 KB · Views: 73
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back