Contribute
Register

Installation Troubleshooting Tips & General Recommendations

Hello

I had a problem. My laptop is Ibm ThinkPad T420 Core i5-2520M, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, Intel HD graphics. Iboot haswel + Snow Leopard installing w/o any problems. After install MAC OS X Update Combo 10.8.6 i get a kernel panic. Restar computer with ibot -v-x and display crashes on top and computer stop working. Like on Photo. Can anyone help me? This is grapchic card problem?

Attachments

Going Bald

Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD7-F7
CPU
W3670
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
iMac
Hello

I had a problem. My laptop is Ibm ThinkPad T420 Core i5-2520M, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, Intel HD graphics. Iboot haswel + Snow Leopard installing w/o any problems. After install MAC OS X Update Combo 10.8.6 i get a kernel panic. Restar computer with ibot -v-x and display crashes on top and computer stop working. Like on Photo. Can anyone help me? This is grapchic card problem?
For laptops post in Laptop Forum - this forum is for Desktops Support.

Motherboard
AsusTek
CPU
Intel i5 Ivy Bridge
Graphics
Nvidia 960
I'd like to confirm what my problem is:
Trying to install Snow Leopard on a Fresh Hard drive.
I cant get past the white apple screen after hitting enter to install Mac OS Snow Leopard DVD. The circle spins for a second and I get a small circle with a line through it ontop of the apple. Then nothing.
I suspect either my gpu is too robust. I have a Nvidia GeForce 960. I dont have the option to use the igpu for some reason.
My other specs seem OK. I have an Ivy Bridge i5 3350p Socket 1155 LGA (I'm using the Ivy Bridge iboot)
I do have 16gb of RAM installed, I just saw that I shouldnt have more than 4gb...not sure what to do there. I have 2 8gb sticks, so do I find a 4gb somewhere just for installation purposes?
will too much RAM cause a fail at the stage I'm at? Or is it the GPU?

Thanks!

KZ

Edit: Nevermind I tweaked some settings in my bios and I managed to get SL installed, now on to the slog of an update process. :)

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370m-D3H
CPU
I5-8400
Graphics
Galax GeForce GTX 1060 3Gb
Mobile Phone
iOS
I'd like to confirm what my problem is:

KZ

Edit: Nevermind I tweaked some settings in my bios and I managed to get SL installed, now on to the slog of an update process. :)
hey KZ, could i ask what those settings were i the BIOS that you tweaked?

BreBo

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
GTX 970
@andysydney2003, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard, CPU and iGPU or Graphics Card.
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard (Mobo).
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370m-D3H
CPU
I5-8400
Graphics
Galax GeForce GTX 1060 3Gb
Mobile Phone
iOS
@andysydney2003, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard, CPU and iGPU or Graphics Card.
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard (Mobo).
my apologies. i should have clarified that i haven’t even gotten started yet. haven’t sourced any parts yet although i will be soon in the next week or so.

Motherboard
A1278
CPU
2.9 Ghz
Graphics
Intel Plus Graphics 655
For laptops post in Laptop Forum - this forum is for Desktops Support.
Have you tried upgrading further say to High Sierra. Usually Kernal Panics are the results of in compatible or out dated software. If you no longer can find High Sierra from the Mac store. Type into google search bar.

HT208969>> How to upgrade to MacOS HighSierra.>> Then go scroll to number 4, and click on get High Sierra link.