Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
viewforum.png
So there have been a lot of people with similar issues, in this thread, my goal is to create a nice simple list of things people can check before asking specific questions. Many times if you're having issues installing, it's one of these things.

Installation Troubleshooting Tips & General Recommendations
For best results with your installation, make sure you've followed these recommendations. I've put them together from months of questions, so these tips should be pretty common and universal. Many people have neglected to follow these simple tips, and the installation has not worked.

1. Purchase and use a genuine Mac OS X Snow Leopard Retail Installation DVD
2. Use a SATA CD/DVD drive and SATA hard drive
3. Update your motherboard to the latest BIOS version available
4. Physically remove any extra RAM sticks so that your system has a total of no more than 4GB of RAM
5. Use only 1 graphics card in the 1st PCIe slot with 1 monitor plugged in.
6. Remove any USB peripherals besides keyboard and mouse.
7. Remove any hard drives besides the blank drive being used for OS X
8. Remove any PCI cards besides graphics- they may not be Mac compatible
9. Set BIOS to Optimized Defaults, then set SATA to AHCI mode and HPET to 64-bit
10. Set Boot Priority to boot from CD/DVD drive, then hard drive
11. If using a Gigabyte board, use Port 0 and 1 of the Blue Intel SATA ports
12. Intel Only. We do not support AMD.
13. iBoot + MultiBeast is known to work with the P55, X58 P35 and H55 chipsets and will most likely work with all Core 2 compatible boards.
14. If using a large > 1 TB Hard Drive, your system partition needs to be 1 TB or less.
15. Onboard Intel GMA HD graphics by themselves are currently unsupported. There are no available drivers- you'll need to use a discreet card.
16. MultiBeast should be run from the boot drive. Copy to Applications folder or Desktop.

I'll try to keep this post updated- if anyone has any other suggestions, please jump in and I'll add them here. Thanks!

Also check out the wiki's Troubleshooting page here:

wiki/index.php?title=Troubleshooting

100px-Questionmark.png

Attachments

• viewforum.png
    viewforum.png
    119.2 KB · Views: 541
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tony!

This is a good move, any help is great news.
I have been running OSX 10.6.8 for a time and because the disk is on the slow side I decided to go SSD.
When I looked for a DSDT for my mobo GA-X58-USB3 rev 1.0 I could not find a matching one. (I had the impression version 1 of the mobo required the DSDT1.aml and I think I remember that there used to four different DSDTs in that list but now there is only DSDT2,3 and 4.)
I downloaded the latest Unibeast and Multibeast (4.6.1) created my USB-stick and got going.
I followed you checklist above and decided to use Easybeast when the time came. Installing the OS worked flawlessly and before I knew it I had booted with the Unibeast-stick and I was welcomed by a hires QE-enabled desktop and working Lan. Amazing! I had not even started Multibeast yet and already everything but the sound worked! This was going to be a breeze I thought...
Started Multibeast and choose the following:
Easybeast
System utilities
ALC8XXXHDA
AppleHDA Rollback
3rd Party Sata

I did not choose anything else since QE/graphics seemed to work and so did network.
After reboot without USB-stick I lost graphics and QE and network, sound did still not work.
Starting Multibeast I added

Lnx2Mac RealtekRTL81xx Ethernet

Now Lan was working again after reboot. Tried dowloading nvidia drivers for 10.7.4 and cuda. After rebooting system crashed. To make a long weekend short: No matter what I tried I could not get graphics nor sound enabled. Why does at least graphics and Lan work when booting from the stick and the OS is freshly installed? I don´t know how many times I have been reinstalling, testing different DSDTs/had curtains of death and so on. I eagerly await the time when you get the forum online again. I like the look of your new site!

/Stefan

GA-X58_USB3 rev 1.0, ALC892, i7-950, GForce GTX 480 1,5 GB, 8 GB ram (4 during install), Bluetooh adapter. Force 240 GB SSD. DVD.

Hi again!

I just have to ask, is it possible to skip multibeast at all and somehow use the setup of bootfiles from the unibeast stick? If I could boot that way I would have everything but soundcard enabled but I have had so much trouble getting ALC892-sound enabled before in OSX SL that I could give up on that and buy a USB-soundcard instead. I actually got desperate :) and tried to request a custombeast but that part of the site was locked out.

/Stefan

Hi again!

I wonder if it´s possible to not run Multibeast 4.6.1 after OSX 10.7.4 is installed and still make the system bootable like it is from booting with Unibeast och the USB-stick? Then all I´d have to wrestle with would be the sound...

/Stefan

GA-X58_USB3 rev 1.0, ALC892, i7-950, GForce GTX 480 1,5 GB, 8 GB ram (4 during install), Bluetooh adapter. Force 240 GB SSD. DVD.

Add a soundcard.....

Hi again!

I just have to ask, is it possible to skip multibeast at all and somehow use the setup of bootfiles from the unibeast stick? If I could boot that way I would have everything but soundcard enabled but I have had so much trouble getting ALC892-sound enabled before in OSX SL that I could give up on that and buy a USB-soundcard instead. I actually got desperate :) and tried to request a custombeast but that part of the site was locked out.

/Stefan

Adding a soundcard.... hadn't thought of that. I have 3 Gigabyte based machines and have only one with working audio since Lion. Have an 892, 888n and 889.
It took forever to get one audion working and don't even know what did it.

So what would be a good brand and model soundcard to add that wouldn't need the Multibeast kexts in Lion. (never had any audio issues before that}.

Adding a soundcard.... hadn't thought of that. I have 3 Gigabyte based machines and have only one with working audio since Lion. Have an 892, 888n and 889.
It took forever to get one audion working and don't even know what did it.

So what would be a good brand and model soundcard to add that wouldn't need the Multibeast kexts in Lion. (never had any audio issues before that}.

Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Amigo II USB Interface Sound Card & Headset Adapter
NewEgg or Amazon $30. Works out of the box-Plug n' Play

Article: Installation Troubleshooting Tips & General Recommendations

Hi Tony!

This is a good move, any help is great news.
I have been running OSX 10.6.8 for a time and because the disk is on the slow side I decided to go SSD.

Hi Stefan, why didn't you just copy your data from old disk to SSD if the system was working? Use Carbon Copy Cloner.
When you test things it will be good to have a working setup on an other disk.

--JRII

Hi Tony
I have toshiba laptop m305-s4910 intel core 2 duo t6400 4gb sdram. I would like to know if it is possible to install mac os mountain lion on it? I'm trying to install but got stuck on apple logo Please help out!!!!!
Thank a lot.

Hi Tony. I have a i5-2500k in a asus p8h67 with an asus nvidia gt440 with 8GB DDR3 @1333. I can't install any build. Can you help me please?

Hi Tony, I have a GA-Z77M-D3H and i3-3120, and I want to install my 10.6.8 to it.. Could you help me explain the step please... Sorry I'm a newbie.. Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back