Contribute
Register

Installation of Big Sur using OpenCore fails (i7-8700K, UHD Graphics 630, ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING
CPU
Intel Core i7-8700K
Graphics
Intel UHD Graphics 630
This is my first post, so please let me know if there are any flaws.

I am having trouble installing Big Sur.

The system stops at the location shown in the attached image.

I changed the following settings from the defaults in OC Gen-X 2.6.8 to generate EFI and copy it via USB.
System Type
- Coffee Lake
Kext
- AppleALC
- IntelMausi
- USBInjectAll
SMBIOS
- MacPro7,1
- (Values generated by other tools)

The ACPI aml file I added is below.
- SSDT-AWAC.aml
- SSDT-EC-USBX-DESKTOP.aml
- SSDT-PLUG-DRTNIA.aml
- SSDT-PMC.aml

I'm a newbie, so please let me know other better ways.

Attachments

• 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 173
This is my first post, so please let me know if there are any flaws.

I am having trouble installing Big Sur.

The system stops at the location shown in the attached image.

I changed the following settings from the defaults in OC Gen-X 2.6.8 to generate EFI and copy it via USB.
System Type
- Coffee Lake
Kext
- AppleALC
- IntelMausi
- USBInjectAll
SMBIOS
- MacPro7,1
- (Values generated by other tools)

The ACPI aml file I added is below.
- SSDT-AWAC.aml
- SSDT-EC-USBX-DESKTOP.aml
- SSDT-PLUG-DRTNIA.aml
- SSDT-PMC.aml

I'm a newbie, so please let me know other better ways.

Hi there.

How did you create your USB installer? Did you use our beta guide? It does include a section for the release version.

If not that then what else? Which version of Big Sur are you using? From the App Store?

:)

Hi there.

How did you create your USB installer? Did you use our beta guide? It does include a section for the release version.

If not that then what else? Which version of Big Sur are you using? From the App Store?

Thanks for the reply.

I created an installation USB from the createinstallmedia command using the latest version of Big Sur (11.3.1) downloaded from the App Store.

Thanks for the reply.

I created an installation USB from the createinstallmedia command using the latest version of Big Sur (11.3.1) downloaded from the App Store.

Okay. :)

As you are using a PC that has no discrete GPU - only a UHD 630 - then using a MacPro system-definition does not seem logical. Those models were Xeon and didn't have an iGPU.

For sure you hardware is perfectly capable of running Big Sur with no serious problems. I don't know what "OC Gen-X 2.6.8" is so can only recommend our guide.

Perhaps try an iMac18,3 system-definition and see how you get on.

If you still have no joy Search our User Builds forum. There are a few builds that use your motherboard and will be worth reading.

Okay. :)

As you are using a PC that has no discrete GPU - only a UHD 630 - then using a MacPro system-definition does not seem logical. Those models were Xeon and didn't have an iGPU.

For sure you hardware is perfectly capable of running Big Sur with no serious problems. I don't know what "OC Gen-X 2.6.8" is so can only recommend our guide.

Perhaps try an iMac18,3 system-definition and see how you get on.

If you still have no joy Search our User Builds forum. There are a few builds that use your motherboard and will be worth reading.

Am I correct in thinking that the behavior is affected by SystemProductName?
Try my EFI, I have removed my serial numbers etc but my desktop is a Z370-P, Asus so not sure if it will work but worth a try.
I changed config.plist as follows

NVRAM>Add>boot-args
Add -v

NVRAM>Generic>MLB,SystemProductName,SystemSerialNumber,SystemUUID
Enter the one generated by iMac18,3

NVRAM>DataHub>SystemProductName,SystemSerialNumber,SystemUUID
Enter the one generated by iMac18,3 (Do I need to change this part?)

When I started up with the above, I was able to go further in the log than before, but the mark appeared (in the "IOUSBHost Interface" position) and after the mark appeared, some kind of log was output, but the screen was disrupted and I couldn't decipher it due to the mark.

Thank you for sharing the EFI.

NVRAM>Add>boot-args
Add -v

When I started up with the above, I was able to go further in the log than before, but the mark appeared (in the "IOUSBHost Interface" position) and after the mark appeared, some kind of log was output, but the screen was disrupted and I couldn't decipher it due to the mark.

I can't seem to use pictograms, so I've attached a reference image.

Attachments

• macos-big-sur-startup-screen-prohibitory-sign.jpg
    macos-big-sur-startup-screen-prohibitory-sign.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 80

NVRAM>Add>boot-args
Add -v

I was able to decipher "still waiting for root device".

NVRAM>Add>boot-args
Add -v

No idea what you are attempting here, sorry.

The <key>SystemProductName</key> is not usually entered via the NVRAM section of your config.plist. It is a part of the <key>PlatformInfo</key>, sub-sections <key>DataHub</key> and <key>Generic</key> along with other items such as UUID and Serial Number.

Or perhaps your comment was actually for @Aniruth ?

I was able to decipher "still waiting for root device".

That usually means that your USB port has become deactivated during boot.

Try a USB2 port like those two to the right of the HDMI port on the back-panel.

If that fails too, then perhaps install USBInjectAll.kext in your EFI/OC/kexts folder and enable it in your config.plist.

Try again.

No idea what you are attempting here, sorry.

The <key>SystemProductName</key> is not usually entered via the NVRAM section of your config.plist. It is a part of the <key>PlatformInfo</key>, sub-sections <key>DataHub</key> and <key>Generic</key> along with other items such as UUID and Serial Number.

Or perhaps your comment was actually for @Aniruth ?

Yes, that was a question for @Aniruth regarding config.plist.
But I don't understand why @UtterDisbelief recommended iMac18,3 in his earlier reply. I would like to ask you if this choice of model number changes the behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back