Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
RX 580
Kernel panic on boot after upgrade from 10.14.3 to 10.14.4. Strangely it seems that it's KP after initialization of RX580 gpu. I can hear the GPU fan spin up at the end of the boot process, the screen transitions from the loading bar to black screen and then reboot. The screen is black with no text when I have debug=0x100.

Kernel panic on boot after upgrade from 10.14.3 to 10.14.4. Strangely it seems that it's KP after initialization of RX580 gpu. I can hear the GPU fan spin up at the end of the boot process, the screen transitions from the loading bar to black screen and then reboot. The screen is black with no text when I have debug=0x100.

Do you have your iGPU still enabled? I have an almost identical setup to you (Maximus IX Formula, 7700K), but with an RX560; on 10.14.3 I had Whatevergreen configured to run the iGPU in 'headless' mode and this caused the same KPs on update to 14.4 for me. Disabling iGPU multi-monitor in the BIOS settings fixed this, but now of course no more QuickSync since the iGPU isn't enabled anymore. Hopefully I or someone else can find a fix for this so I can turn that back on :)

Do you have your iGPU still enabled? I have an almost identical setup to you (Maximus IX Formula, 7700K), but with an RX560; on 10.14.3 I had Whatevergreen configured to run the iGPU in 'headless' mode and this caused the same KPs on update to 14.4 for me. Disabling iGPU multi-monitor in the BIOS settings fixed this, but now of course no more QuickSync since the iGPU isn't enabled anymore. Hopefully I or someone else can find a fix for this so I can turn that back on :)

Thank you for the tip @Khaibit. I also have iGPU configured in 'headless' mode. I also disabled iGPU multi-monitor in bios and this has fixed the KP. I can also confirm that QuickSync is now broken as a result. Please let me know if you figure out how to get QuickSync working with headless iGPU. Are you also using SMBIOS iMac 18,3?

Thank you for the tip @Khaibit. I also have iGPU configured in 'headless' mode. I also disabled iGPU multi-monitor in bios and this has fixed the KP. I can also confirm that QuickSync is now broken as a result. Please let me know if you figure out how to get QuickSync working with headless iGPU. Are you also using SMBIOS iMac 18,3?

(Replying here since the mods moved the other posts here :) )

I am -- using iMac 18,3 and ig-platform-id 59120003. I will try a few things as I have time throughout the day and see if I can find a working configuration for this.

I had the same issue! I am running on ASUS Z390A Prime, with 9900K and RX 580, iGPU in headless mode. Got boot loop after update, disabling iGPU in BIOS solved the boot loop issue. But no more iGPU features.

Then I saw a post to enable H.264 and HEVC on RX 5XX GPUs by running Vega's driver, by adding dummykext144.kext to clover/kexts/others and "shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94 shikigva=32" in config.plist.

Now even I can't get iGPU working, H.264 and HEVC still works. Tested with three 4K HEVC video playing in QuickTime 60fps.

The original post is here (#657):

I had the same issue! I am running on ASUS Z390A Prime, with 9900K and RX 580, iGPU in headless mode. Got boot loop after update, disabling iGPU in BIOS solved the boot loop issue. But no more iGPU features.

Then I saw a post to enable H.264 and HEVC on RX 5XX GPUs by running Vega's driver, by adding dummykext144.kext to clover/kexts/others and "shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94 shikigva=32" in config.plist.

Now even I can't get iGPU working, H.264 and HEVC still works. Tested with three 4K HEVC video playing in QuickTime 60fps.

The original post is here (#657):

Hmm, does this allow for AirPlay mirroring to be re-enabled as well? That's the biggest thing I needed QuickSync support and an enabled iGPU for.

(Replying here since the mods moved the other posts here :) )

I am -- using iMac 18,3 and ig-platform-id 59120003. I will try a few things as I have time throughout the day and see if I can find a working configuration for this.

I am using identical configuration to you. Confirmed system boots correctly using identical configuration on my backup on 10.14.3 so this is definitely a 10.14.4 issue.

I am using an 18,3 SMBIOS with the attached config.plist. After upgrading to 10.14.4 I am also booting to a black screen after verbose boot ends and the apple logo should be shown. I am running the IGPU UHD 630 in headless mode with my RX 580 as the primary GPU. See my attached config.plist.

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.8 KB · Views: 153
Having this same issue. Seems to be a graphics issue since my machine panics and restarts at the following line when booting verbose: "IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3". My iGPU is enabled for multimonitor along with my RX580 in the BIOS.

Also have the latest stable Clover release and updated all kexts to their latest versions. SMBIOS is 18,3

I am running my iGPU headless with my Sapphire Pulse RX 580 driving my display. Using the same exact config in 10.14.3 works totally fine so this is definitely something wonky with 10.14.4. Hopefully we can get some good traction/discussion on this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back