Contribute
Register

Installation failing with a log... can anyone help me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z370M GAMING PRO AC
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 1080ti
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello, I am having trouble completing the install for High Sierra. I have had a working hack for about a year or so, on Sierra, everything working.

During this process I ended up intentionally erasing my drive (I have CCC backups) and now attempting a fresh install.

My build: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-el-capitan-on-the-skylake-h170n-wifi.178197/

I have attempted as many guides as I could find, today I followed the guide found here: https://www.******.com/r/hackintosh...ings_of_a_hackintosher_a_sorta_brief_vanilla/

Went through the whole guide, used the generic config, added all extra portions into the plist. Booted from the USB, got through the first portion, waited for reboot, booted back into the USB, selected "Boot Mac os Install" from the Macintosh HD.

It then gets to the Installation window, then the install hangs at:
IMG_1809 3.JPG

Slowly (30-45 minutes or so), the bar moves and the time remaining gets to 6 minutes, then it gives the error
Error Screen.jpg

with the log, I save the log to the USB, and I have attached it in this post.

All of my kexts are installed to the "EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other"

I do have apfs.efi in drivers64UEFI

I have also read that EmuVariableUefi-64.efi could be important for my motherboard, but the guide didn't mention it, so I added that in

All kexts have been downloaded recently, and should be the latest versions.

If anyone sees a problem, please help because I have been stuck for 30+ hours. I figured that someone here should be able to help! Hopefully we can get it figured out, cause I am out of ideas.

Thanks ahead of time!

Attachments

• Installer Log 28-Nov-2017.txt
    340.2 KB · Views: 208
  • EFI.zip
    5.8 MB · Views: 123
Last edited:
@RehabMan You are the only one that can help. I would love to hear your knowledge on this.

Hello, I am having trouble completing the install for High Sierra. I have had a working hack for about a year or so, on Sierra, everything working.

During this process I ended up intentionally erasing my drive (I have CCC backups) and now attempting a fresh install.

My build: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-el-capitan-on-the-skylake-h170n-wifi.178197/

I have attempted as many guides as I could find, today I followed the guide found here: https://www.******.com/r/hackintosh...ings_of_a_hackintosher_a_sorta_brief_vanilla/

Went through the whole guide, used the generic config, added all extra portions into the plist. Booted from the USB, got through the first portion, waited for reboot, booted back into the USB, selected "Boot Mac os Install" from the Macintosh HD.

It then gets to the Installation window, then the install hangs at:
View attachment 295749

Slowly (30-45 minutes or so), the bar moves and the time remaining gets to 6 minutes, then it gives the error with a log, I save the log to the USB, and I have attached it in this post.

All of my kexts are installed to the "EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other"

I do have apfs.efi in drivers64UEFI

I have also read that EmuVariableUefi-64.efi could be important for my motherboard, but the guide didn't mention it, so I passed for now. Could this be a problem?

All kexts have been downloaded recently, and should be the latest versions.

List of kexts I have installed in "Other":
View attachment 295752

If anyone sees a problem, please help because I have been stuck for 30+ hours. I figured that someone here should be able to help! Hopefully we can get it figured out, cause I am out of ideas.

Thanks ahead of time!

Why are you using KabyLake->Skylake spoofing with 10.13? KabyLake is native since 10.12.6.
You should use a more generic set of kexts. Why Shiki.kext/AppleALC.kext/etc for installation?
And you should install HFS+J not APFS.

Just to be clear, this config and EFI screenshot are from your USB stick? You indicate you boot (F12 or BIOS primary) the USB stick, which means Clover is using the USB stick's EFI to boot from (kexts, etc).

If so, why is there so much junk in there? That EFI screenshot is not from a Unibeast-created stick. Unibeast does not put AppleALC, Lilu or Lilu plugins in there. If you put them in there manually, don't do that. Your config also has legacy 10.11 and 10.12 junk in there.

Is it possible that's a screenshot and config from the Macintosh HD? That is ignored if you boot clover from the stick, which is what you indicated you did. Is it possible you booted clover from the Macintosh HD during the last stage of the install? That is not going to work, most likely.

I would recommend you go back and make a Unibeast install stick and boot (F12) from it during each stage of the process until you arrive at the desktop of your High Sierra system. Only after you install Multibeast (or use a manual process to get clover installed to the EFI of the Macintosh HD) should you see a kexts/other with anything more than FakeSMC and an ethernet kext (Unibeast actually stuffs all three in there) and USBInjectAll.

Why are you using KabyLake->Skylake spoofing with 10.13? KabyLake is native since 10.12.6.
You should use a more generic set of kexts. Why Shiki.kext/AppleALC.kext/etc for installation?
And you should install HFS+J not APFS.
I really appreciate your reply.
What exactly would I need to change to make the "spoofing" correct. I adjusted my post attactments, my kext screenshot was a little bit outdated. I have a skylake processor. I am just slightly confused. What are the basic kexts I should have in my "Other" folder? Also, I want to try and install HFS+J but I couldn't get the command to work. So, you are supposed to boot the install media, then open terminal and run the install command with --converttoapfs NO attached? Then it wills skip APFS conversion?

Just to be clear, this config and EFI screenshot are from your USB stick? You indicate you boot (F12 or BIOS primary) the USB stick, which means Clover is using the USB stick's EFI to boot from (kexts, etc).

If so, why is there so much junk in there? That EFI screenshot is not from a Unibeast-created stick. Unibeast does not put AppleALC, Lilu or Lilu plugins in there. If you put them in there manually, don't do that. Your config also has legacy 10.11 and 10.12 junk in there.

Is it possible that's a screenshot and config from the Macintosh HD? That is ignored if you boot clover from the stick, which is what you indicated you did. Is it possible you booted clover from the Macintosh HD during the last stage of the install? That is not going to work, most likely.

I would recommend you go back and make a Unibeast install stick and boot (F12) from it during each stage of the process until you arrive at the desktop of your High Sierra system. Only after you install Multibeast (or use a manual process to get clover installed to the EFI of the Macintosh HD) should you see a kexts/other with anything more than FakeSMC and an ethernet kext (Unibeast actually stuffs all three in there) and USBInjectAll.

I have tried using a unibeast stick to make this install work, and it has given me the same issues, so for that I have been experimenting. I have also been told by other users that Unibeast can cause problems, and that I should try building the install media through terminal and copy kexts that way, which is also leading me to the same error. I updated my efi.zip to my latest EFI. Since I'm lost at this point, what do you see in there that you could change? The macintosh HD is wiped clean and does not have an EFI folder. It is formatted GUID, so is the install media. I boot the install usb for clover on every reboot during the install. So I should only have FakeSMC, IntelMausiEthernet, and USBInjectAll? And should I have my GPU disconnected or connected? Will it matter than my computer case only has USB 3.0 ports? Or will having two sticks of RAM matter? These are all potential solutions i've seen. I really appreciate your response. Hopefully I can get this sorted out

I have tried using a unibeast stick to make this install work, and it has given me the same issues, so for that I have been experimenting. I have also been told by other users that Unibeast can cause problems, and that I should try building the install media through terminal and copy kexts that way, which is also leading me to the same error. I updated my efi.zip to my latest EFI. Since I'm lost at this point, what do you see in there that you could change? The macintosh HD is wiped clean and does not have an EFI folder. It is formatted GUID, so is the install media. I boot the install usb for clover on every reboot during the install. So I should only have FakeSMC, IntelMausiEthernet, and USBInjectAll? And should I have my GPU disconnected or connected? Will it matter than my computer case only has USB 3.0 ports? Or will having two sticks of RAM matter? These are all potential solutions i've seen. I really appreciate your response. Hopefully I can get this sorted out

You still have a lot of unneeded kexts in EFI/Clover/kexts/Other.
Keep it simple.

You still have a lot of unneeded kexts in EFI/Clover/kexts/Other.
Keep it simple.
Do you think I should use 14,2 or 17,1? Also, how exactly do you prevent the installer from converting to APFS on a clean install? Terminal from the USB?

I suggest you use 14,2 for now. Once you get running you can convert to 17,1 if you like. Just don't log in to iCloud, if you plan to do that, or it'll create a hassle.

To prevent converting to APFS you add a flag when you start the install process.

/Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --converttoapfs NO

You should not have lilu or lilu plugins in your kexts/other (while installing). You do not need AppleALC kext (while installing). You should remove sound patches from config (if you have them). Solve sound issues after you get your box running. Gigabyte 10-series boards are notorious for not properly emulating vram so you will probably eventually need EmuVariables64_UEFI.efi but you don't need it for the install (and in fact it messes with installs so leave it out for now).

Generally it's safest to install with the IGPU. Use the BIOS to disable the discrete GPU (or just unplug the power from it). Set it enabled/primary with >= 64 MB prealloc memory. Use a USB port on the back of the machine, upper back, and connect a single monitor to a DVI output if you have one (fall back is DP or HDMI).

As far as Unibeast being good or bad, a lot of work has gone into it to make it a general purpose tool and it has been very useful for me and I've donated to support the effort several times. I doubt, I highly doubt, that a Unibeast USB stick is your issue given where you're getting to.

2 sticks of RAM is unlikely to be the issue. Again, Hackintoshes are not for the faint of heart, and almost anything COULD be the issue, including hardware issues, improperly inserted RAM, etc, but if the BIOS sees the RAM Ok that's not gonna be the issue.

You had a working Sierra right? That would seem to rule out most hardware issues. Can you still boot Sierra on it, did you leave a Sierra bootable partition? Do you have any hardware besides the motherboard, RAM, drives (you should consider temporarily disconnecting all drives except the drive you want to install onto), an optical drive (you could temporarily remove that too), GPU, CPU? Like a wifi card or pci card? or bluetooth card or a usb adapter for any of that? Try temporarily removing everything but the basics. Consider loading optimized defaults in the BIOS, and making minimal changes (the defaults on 10 series I think is bootable). I certainly understand the frustration you're going through. Try to be patient, reduce the problem surface area, and take notes about what you try that doesn't work so you don't repeat failures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back