AMD Radeon HD 6950 1GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello there!

I have followed the Buyers Guide February 2014 and bought the components for the mATX build. Here are the specs:

Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H
Intel Core i5-4690K
Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 1600 MHZ 16 GB
Samsung 850 EVO SSD - 250GB
Corsair CS 550 Watt (Gold)
Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 - Black
TP-Link TL-WDN4800

I will have access to a Mac tomorrow & I have a 16 GB USB drive.

I got all of them today, and I'm about to put them all together in the case using some guide on YouTube. Now I'm wondering if it is recommended to install Windows 8.1 first or OS X 10.10? I want to be able to dual boot them.

Thanks!

Hello there!

I have followed the Buyers Guide February 2014 and bought the components for the mATX build. Here are the specs:

Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H
Intel Core i5-4690K
Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 1600 MHZ 16 GB
Samsung 850 EVO SSD - 250GB
Corsair CS 550 Watt (Gold)
Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 - Black
TP-Link TL-WDN4800

I will have access to a Mac tomorrow & I have a 16 GB USB drive.

I got all of them today, and I'm about to put them all together in the case using some guide on YouTube. Now I'm wondering if it is recommended to install Windows 8.1 first or OS X 10.10? I want to be able to dual boot them.

Thanks!
Really recommend you use separate drives for Windows 8/8.1 and OS X. Win8 doesn't play as nice on same drive as Win7 did.
For installing see sticky guide at top of this forum. Yosemite works same as Mountain Lion for installing.

Okay, I will buy a 120 GB SSD for Yosemite and use the 250 GB for Windows 8.1. Then I guess the installation order doesn't matter, and I just can just go on and install Windows 8.1 first, is this right?
I will look at the sticky now.

Okay, I will buy a 120 GB SSD for Yosemite and use the 250 GB for Windows 8.1. Then I guess the installation order doesn't matter, and I just can just go on and install Windows 8.1 first, is this right?
I will look at the sticky now.
Yes, you can install Win8 first, but keep in mind what you need for OS X and make the BIOS changes and decide what boot loader you are going to use before you install Windows. If using the Chameleon based Chimera you need to force the Win8 install to Legacy mode by disabling the UEFI mode in your BIOS or by using the function hotkey to select a boot drive and selecting the non-efi version of the Win8 install media to boot and install Windows.
If using Clover it does not matter - install UEFI or Legacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back