Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello everyone.

Being new to the mac world I often find myself confused by many things in the new OS.

1. I have downloaded some applications, like Stuffit. When I open them I usually see an icon for the application itself and another for the "read me". I now know that I can drag and drop the app icon to install into my "Applications" folder, but then should I also copy the "read me" file? Or where do you guys copy additional files, or just keep a copy of the installer?
In a recent case, the application even had an "uninstall" icon, but then I know not if saving the app bundle to harddrive because as far as I understand I would be saving a worthless copy of the application that I already have in the "Applications" folder.
And if something goes wrong I either turn to a backup or I simply re-download the app, so the installer .dmg is a bit worthless for me.

2. How do I uninstall an application and be sure it's 100% clean? I read a wiki tutorial about using the uninstaller in the bundle (which again, sucks for me to just save the installer for that purpose) or using "Finder"!!!!
To me the second options sounds a bit handcrafted and can't believe such an advanced OS like Mac has users resort to this (and coming from a Windows and Slackware background, I've got the feeling Mac is supposed to be newbie friendly).
Even worst, if the application has no uninstall icon on the installer bundle, then the second option seems to be the "MUST".
Aren't there any other alternatives to this?

Thanks for your time! :thumbup:

1. Usually, the "read me" files are a one time read, and I don't copy them. In the case of an Uninstall, I select the mounted dmg image and, holding down the Command key, drag the image to the Applications folder where it turns into a folder. When I'm satisfied that I've installed the app correctly, I delete the .dmg file. If I need it again, I go to Macupdate.com, search for it and re-download it.

2. I use AppZapper (shareware) to remove programs and their associated files. However, lately, I've been using AppTrap (http://onnati.net/apptrap/) which prompts you if want to delete all the associated files with an app when you delete it.

I use CleanMyMac which has an App uninstaller built in and can clean temp/cache etc. files up as well :D

Sorry for the late reply guys, but thanks a lot for your suggestions. Recently I was able to get my hack up and running once again, so I'll definitely check those.

Thanks for the addition FZ1.
Fortunately, will have the chance to test em all next weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back