Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87N-WiFi
CPU
E3-1230 v3
Graphics
GTX 760
Hey guys!

I'm a serious noob when it comes to building Hackintoshes, so my apologies if I ask any stupid questions. I have built one before which didn't work at all under Snow Leopard (i3 3225, HD4000 Z77-HD3) but somehow I found a working ethernet kext and used that to upgrade to Mavericks, which caused it to work out of the box (LAN, Audio, video without even using Multibeast). The only issue was the Boot0 error but that was easily fixed. Because of all this, I know that my install USB works fine and is not at fault in my current situation.

Anyway, yesterday I started my new build using a Gigabyte Z87n-WiFi, Intel Xeon E3 1230v3 and a GTX 760. It has a Crucial MX100 256GB for Windows and a 1TB Caviar Blue for Windows storage (both installed and working fine). Then there's a second Caviar Blue 1TB that I wanted to use for OS X. I had a few issues getting into the installer, as the screen would stay grey with the cursor being that annoying little spinning beach ball :p Turns out that in the bios, I had to set the USB drive as first boot option, but then during the boot I also had to open the boot menu and select it there as well. It then booted into the installation fine. I had my Windows drives disconnected at this point.

So I went into Disk Utility and formatted the Drive. One 1TB partition, named it Mavericks, selected Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) and made sure it was set to GUID Partition Table. It then started installing OS X Mavericks to the drive. However, the installation happens in two parts; After the actual instal of the OS is done, the computer reboots itself after which the installation continues with the initial set-up (locaiton, account, Apple ID, etc). In my case though, it refused to boot into the second part but got stuck on the grey loading screen with the Apple logo. I tried using different Boot order configurations, but this didn't seem to help. I then formatted the drive again and re-installed OS X. Let it boot again and left it there.

After being stuck on the boot screen for well over 30 minutes it continued with the set-up and it let me create an account. After this was finished (the computer doesn't reboot after this) I was greeted with the Mavericks desktop. At this point however, I did use the -x and -v bootflags and because I was in Safe Mode, things just didn't run smoothly... at all. So I rebooted and once again, it just didn't boot (or at least not within a reasonable amount of time).

Using the -v flag there were lots of 'fault' lines but it never really got stuck at anything.

Sata mode is set to AHCI, as it should be. Running a slight overclock on the RAM (1600MHz 1.35v RAM running at 1866MHz 1.5v) but that shouldn't matter?

Anyone has any ideas?

Thanks in advance :)

Update

Right, after some bios changes and a clean install it's mostly alright now. Even have sound and ethernet out of the box like on my old system. There is, however, still a problem and that is that the system can't boot on its own. If I have the USB drive in and select my Mavericks install HDD from there, it boots without a problem, but as soon as I take the USB out Chimera (which is just white text on a black screen for me?) lets me choose Mavericks, but it gets stuck at the same endless boot screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back