Contribute
Register

Install sierra on partition on storage HDD? (Windows is installed on my SSD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth z77
CPU
i5 3570K
Graphics
GTX 670
Hi!

I was wondering if it is possible to install sierra on a partition of an HDD that is used for storage?
I have an SSD where I have windows installed, and then I have a 1TB HDD for storage. I made a 500gb partition where I was supposed to install Sierra, but I just now realised before installing that the scheme must be GUID, and it's not possible to set the scheme of a volume..

I've heard that installing osx on a drive where windows is installed tends to result in alot of issues, but is it possible to do what I've written above? How would I go about it?

EDIT:
Maybe it is possible to format the HDD with the proper scheme, install osx then make a new partition for storage afterwards?

Hi!

I was wondering if it is possible to install sierra on a partition of an HDD that is used for storage?
I have an SSD where I have windows installed, and then I have a 1TB HDD for storage. I made a 500gb partition where I was supposed to install Sierra, but I just now realised before installing that the scheme must be GUID, and it's not possible to set the scheme of a volume..

I've heard that installing osx on a drive where windows is installed tends to result in alot of issues, but is it possible to do what I've written above? How would I go about it?

EDIT:
Maybe it is possible to format the HDD with the proper scheme, install osx then make a new partition for storage afterwards?
The first thing to do is run msinfo32 to determine if Windows is installed UEFI or Legacy. This makes a difference in how you install Clover to the HDD. Assuming Windows is installed UEFI

Back up anything on the 1 TB HDD.
Disconnect the Windows drive
Boot the UniBeast USB and partition the drive 2 partitions, format both of them for OS X
Install Sierra per the guide, run MultiBeast to install Clover boot loader and drivers for NIC and audio, get it working to your satisfaction, shut down
Reconnect Windows drive, boot to BIOS/UEFI, make the Sierra drive first in BBS boot order, save&exit, continue boot.
At the Clover screen select the Windows icon to boot Windows and launch the Windows disk management tool. Select the storage partition and format it NTFS.

See https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-multibooting-uefi-on-separate-drives.198869/

The first thing to do is run msinfo32 to determine if Windows is installed UEFI or Legacy. This makes a difference in how you install Clover to the HDD. Assuming Windows is installed UEFI

Back up anything on the 1 TB HDD.
Disconnect the Windows drive
Boot the UniBeast USB and partition the drive 2 partitions, format both of them for OS X
Install Sierra per the guide, run MultiBeast to install Clover boot loader and drivers for NIC and audio, get it working to your satisfaction, shut down
Reconnect Windows drive, boot to BIOS/UEFI, make the Sierra drive first in BBS boot order, save&exit, continue boot.
At the Clover screen select the Windows icon to boot Windows and launch the Windows disk management tool. Select the storage partition and format it NTFS.

See https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-multibooting-uefi-on-separate-drives.198869/
Thank you for your quick response! I had some issues with my install and decided to format my hdd with sierra and try to redo it. When I installed osx I formatted the entire thing in disk utility, but when I booted back into windows all my data was still there but the drive was missing like 70gb. I've run the clean command in diskpart with the hopes of getting rid of any partitions on the drive, but it is still missing a lot of space. Is there any way to format the drive completely from windows or do I have to do it through disk utility in osx? How would I go about it so that I can see my full 1tb in windows and not 930gb? It's almost like osx and windows are reading two different drives even though it is the same drive.

Thank you for your quick response! I had some issues with my install and decided to format my hdd with sierra and try to redo it. When I installed osx I formatted the entire thing in disk utility, but when I booted back into windows all my data was still there but the drive was missing like 70gb. I've run the clean command in diskpart with the hopes of getting rid of any partitions on the drive, but it is still missing a lot of space. Is there any way to format the drive completely from windows or do I have to do it through disk utility in osx? How would I go about it so that I can see my full 1tb in windows and not 930gb? It's almost like osx and windows are reading two different drives even though it is the same drive.
Windows cannot read a drive formatted for OS X without additional software. You can install the Windows bootcamp drivers from Apple and read the OS X drive from Windows but you cannot write to it.
There is also the "paid-for" 3rd party apps that claim to allow read/write of OX X formatted drives from Windows, but my experience with them are corrupted drives and having to re-install.
If you have a 1TB drive with a 70Gb OS X partition and a 930Gb Windows NTFS partition be happy. If Windows cannot "see" the partition, it cannot corrupt it.

Windows cannot read a drive formatted for OS X without additional software. You can install the Windows bootcamp drivers from Apple and read the OS X drive from Windows but you cannot write to it.
There is also the "paid-for" 3rd party apps that claim to allow read/write of OX X formatted drives from Windows, but my experience with them are corrupted drives and having to re-install.
If you have a 1TB drive with a 70Gb OS X partition and a 930Gb Windows NTFS partition be happy. If Windows cannot "see" the partition, it cannot corrupt it.
Well, the issue is kind of that I want to format the entire drive, removing ALL partitions since my installation of OS X was not successful. I've google around a bunch but can't really find anything that addresses this issue other than the diskpart clean in cmd, which did not give me the 70gb back. I did not try to get more than 1 partition when installing sierra, that's why i think it's strange that I could still see me files in windows but was lacking 70gb. Do you have any suggestions for how I can format the mac partition to merge it with the other 930gb?

Well, the issue is kind of that I want to format the entire drive, removing ALL partitions since my installation of OS X was not successful.
OK, boot Windows
click start->run cmd.exe and hit enter
type and hit enter at each line <<is comment - do not type>>
cd\
diskpart
list disk <<determine disk number of HDD, say it is disk 1>>
select disk 1
clean
exit
exit

This cleans the drive of all partitioning.
You can now open the Windows disk management tool and reformat the drive as you wish or boot Sierra installer and try again with a blank drive.

OK, boot Windows
click start->run cmd.exe and hit enter
type and hit enter at each line <<is comment - do not type>>
cd\
diskpart
list disk <<determine disk number of HDD, say it is disk 1>>
select disk 1
clean
exit
exit

This cleans the drive of all partitioning.
You can now open the Windows disk management tool and reformat the drive as you wish or boot Sierra installer and try again with a blank drive.
Thank you again for your reply and your patience with me. As I stated in my first answer to your post, I've done this. Somehow it still only shows 930gb. If I boot from unibeast USB and go into disk utilities (I no longer have sierra installed) it says there is 1TB of space, but windows does not show me 1TB.

Thank you again for your reply and your patience with me. As I stated in my first answer to your post, I've done this. Somehow it still only shows 930gb. If I boot from unibeast USB and go into disk utilities (I no longer have sierra installed) it says there is 1TB of space, but windows does not show me 1TB.
Then try OS X disk utility format the drive 1 partition entire drive format ExFAT.
Then look at the drive in Windows disk management tool. If it now shows an EFI partition and an ExFAT partition of correct size you can select the main partition and delete it, then select the EFI partition and delete that too. Then create a new simple volume on the free space and format NTFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back