Contribute
Register

Install OS X El Capitan with Chameleon

Status
Not open for further replies.
org.chameleon.Boot.plist and SMBios.plist in Extra, but I never used kernel.plist, in extra also that?
and the kernel.zip? where extract it?

my exact question as well

I wonder how one could upgrade to El Capitan via Enoch? Has anyone tried with an older board?

You have to go to System/Library, and then create a folder and name it Kernels. You then extract Kernels.zip to this folder. The file will have the name Kernel. The other files can go in the Extra folder.

Tony's guide worked for me. I installed El Capitan on an HP Z400 using Unibeast, and Enoch Chameleon.

Dude, i want to install El Capitan on a SC440 Dell server, they have a INTEL XEON 1.86 DUAL CORE (3040)

Clover don´t works on legacy, and i try a lots of methods but nothings works x.x
i will try this.

I followed the steps in this post and got all the way to the final STEP 7 --> Post-Installation - Install Chameleon to system drive + Kexts to /Library/Extensions.

I installed Chameleon to the system drive, and copied the same 2 kexts into the system's /Library/Extensions on my new El Capitan instance. When I boot, I get the Enoch boot loader. I can boot in verbose mode, but it never finishes booting. Last thing I see before the freeze is the infamously misleading "Missing Bluetooth Transport Controller." Checking the "Big List of El Capitan Solutions" I think this is a problem with graphics, but not certain. The install worked fine, and I was able to load the OS and browse using Safari. Just can't boot fully on its own.

NOTE: I am using the onboard GFX and DVI port. I pulled out out the GT 740 to troubleshoot. Decided to try a vanilla Chameleon/El Capitan build after seeing this thread. Other hardware details are in my build sig.

Any thoughts on how to fix this? I can predictably get to the Chameleon text bootloader and start booting in verbose mode, but it never fully boots. I'm about to retry from scratch, but oddly I can't seem to even boot from the USB anymore :(

Last edited:
As a followup -- has anybody tried installing Chameleon Enoch over an existing Yosemite/MultiBeast/Chimera build?

Should this just work out-of-the-box? to switch versions of Chameleon with a re-install?? I think the installer creates a Chameleon.backups folder when you re-install...

i was pretty annoyed by the people saying clover is "way better" than anything else while i was trying to find alternatives for my 12-core hackintosh on a non-uefi asus board. it's been running lion for years but now that pro tools works with el capitan, i figured i'd try to install it on a test ssd.

with clover, i could sometimes get to the install screen, sort of, but the screen was all jumbled and no matter what i did, i couldn't get the graphics drivers sorted out right. now i'm looking at an el capitan install screen on my multiple monitors thanks to enoch...

that said, twice now the install has hung up, at different points. not sure what's causing that but i'll keep working on it.

and can anyone tell me what the -no-zp boot flag does? never heard of that one.

Why would you want to use chameleon (old legacy style) when you can use clover (UEFI)?

When using enoch on motherboards that use the old bios system, the overall performance of systems is better
I did many tests and although the system seems to work at the same way whit Clover or Enoch, when I used programs that demanding more performance, I'd experimented some issues, like higher latencies and problems in the audio system when using Clover.

I have 3 Hackintoshes: X58, Z97, and Z170... Because the X58 is legacy and I been using Chameleon/Enoch on it since I first got OS X functioning on it (before Clover existed), I decided to leave the bootloader on it as is. However, my Z170 system on the other hand would only work with Clover so I was forced use ithat option on that system which happened to turn out alright. I was so impressed at the outcome, I had transitioned my Z97 system from using Enoch to Clover and don't regret my decision yet. All in all, both bootloaders, Enoch and Clover have their place so I'll retain a version of each on a different system to keep myself fairly familiar with the step-by-step process required to get OS X functioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back